Doug Whaley said WHAT?!

#34fan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Label me as you will. I'm tired of the perpetual BAD decision-making. Sure, we all moan and groan when it happens, but what we don't realize is that it all starts with desperation, trade-offs, and half-assed asessments of critical talent. It starts with statements like the one made by Whaley, which, you could EASILY dub Buddy's southern twang over.

Am I overly suspicious? -Perhaps. But I've got reason to be. Delusion-alerts should've gone up with quotes like this regarding Fitz:

"We're in with Fitz" "He's not going to struggle. He'll get better, and he's not going to turn the ball over. We've got our quarterback, and we're going to get started in the right direction. We've got to do that, and we know it."

http://www.buffaloru...trick-buddy-nix

FACT: The Buffalo Bills have the 25th ranked passing offense in the league. -That's bottom-of-the-barrel and illustrates our need for a QB. I get that. However, here's another fact -The Buffalo Bills have the 30th ranked run defense in the NFL. We couldn't shut down a kiddie pool with that line-backing and safety corp. On the bright side, I think Pettine noticed that and petitioned for change. Still, we need to go further. Given the talent, there is a hight chance we MISS at a franchise QB this year.

-Defensive backfield players, by contrast, are good, and abundant. Ignoring that fact leads us to repeat the same mistake we made last draft, (not drafting a QB) but this time on the other side of the ball.

If we don't grab Wilson, we need the best, and I mean BEST defensive players available to us in the early rounds. Period.

Edited by #34fan

It's not the words that I take issue with, but the thought process they expose. Whaley oversees the college scouting department, and organizes the formation of the draft board.

After everything we've been through at the quarterback position, why would this decision come down to "a matter of what value you put on the quarterback you want to lead your team."?

How could the value of the Buffalo Bills future franchise QB be something open to interpretation? What other value could it have besides the max?

We don't need a kid with a bazooka arm who can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. We don't a statue in the pocket who stares down recievers, then airs it out to a waiting DB.

I guess i don't see any confidence that we KNOW what we're looking for when it comes down to this critical piece. There's also no recent history of us turning project kids who do "some things" "good" into playoff calibre QB's.

wow. Man, It dosent matter what Whaley meant. It seems like your going to work what ever point your trying to make out of this. I'm just going to leave it at; I read into it very diffrently, from the conclusions you've drawn.

What exactly are the things he values over the "other things"? And why are we making a trade-off on such a critical position?

All I'm saying is that if the QB lanscape is that rough, then DON'T waste a high pick on it.

Clearly it's a need in '13... However, if we get it wrong, it'll be a need in '14 '15, '16, '17 etc.

Wow - Fitz has really jaded you! As for Whaley, I believe he probably knows more about football, and the value of players in today's game, than any of us. What he said was there is no clear cut, sure-fire pick at QB. He also said, if you watched or listened to the whole interview, that any of these guys MIGHT prove to be as good as Luck or Griffin, but they just haven't shown that potential yet. He did not say there were no QB's in this draft who could be pro-bowlers.

And, as for Whaley telling us what his preferences are - that's almost akin to letting all the teams ahead of us know which QB we really want. That just doesn't happen this time of year.

Went to www.diaper. Don't understand. This means no QB's are great this year so we cry like a baby? Please explain. On the other hand don't. LB, WR, OLB . What the problem?

Diapers dot com wasn't directed at you. :lol:

As for LB, WR, OL, -I can live with that. There's deep talent at all of those positions, and we stand a fair chance at upgrading those areas.

What I'm against is any trade-off scenarios with this year's SKETCHY QB class. I'd much rather go with your deal in the first three rounds.

Edited by #34fan

Can you clarify exactly what it is that bothers you about Whaley's comments?

I'm not following you.

I would very much agree. I took his comments as saying teams will need to evaluate each QB prospect based on his strengths as each of them bring something different to the party.

What he did not say but might be inferred as there is no sure thing among the group. If one is chosen it is likely to be based more on a system QB vs. a solid prospect that could play in any system.

I like the fact that it sounds like the Bills will not overextend themselves chasing a QB who is a very risky pick.

What I'm against is any trade-off scenarios with this year's SKETCHY QB class. I'd much rather go with your deal in the first three rounds.

But what you are "against" has nothing to do with what Whaley says teams should do are very different.

The fact that you are shocked by what he said, which is pretty much boring/repetative talk that every team has been saying, is just silly. You pretty much quoted him saying there is no QB that has it all in this draft, and argued "How dare they use a high pick on these QBS!"

I mean, that is a huge stretch of what was said. I don't want them to use a 1st rounder on any of these guys either. I don't know if they will or not, but what Whaley has said in your post doesn't imply anything about how high they will draft a QB. With this regime, I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the 5th round to draft somebody.

This is going to be a tough year to predict how the top ten will unfold. I keep thinking the bills have the most unpredictable pick, but really, a lot of them are hard to predict, including number 1.

If they can get a game changer at LB or WR at number 1, and a dececent QB prospect in round 2 or later, that would be dandy. But hard to tell who or what is going to happen. It would probably be best to draft down, but there is no way that is going to happen in this draft unless there is a sucker GM out there. lots of depth, but not much at the very top.

But what you are "against" has nothing to do with what Whaley says teams should do are very different.

The fact that you are shocked by what he said, which is pretty much boring/repetative talk that every team has been saying, is just silly. You pretty much quoted him saying there is no QB that has it all in this draft, and argued "How dare they use a high pick on these QBS!"

I mean, that is a huge stretch of what was said. I don't want them to use a 1st rounder on any of these guys either. I don't know if they will or not, but what Whaley has said in your post doesn't imply anything about how high they will draft a QB. With this regime, I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the 5th round to draft somebody.

Yep, that's the issue. He's trying to draw an analogy between his opinion and what Whaley said. It's just not there.

A front-office staffer said something non-commital before the draft. This is news?

to people on this board who live for grinding the ax, it is...him not making statements would be just as big of a sign that he's going to make a bad decision. His breathing would also be a huge indicator.

Buddy has stated numerous times that drafting a franchise QB is a high priority.

http://profootballta...se-quarterback/

http://www.nfl.com/n...for-qb-in-draft

Which I'm agreement with to a large extent.

While the final decision is Buddy's, it appears he's leaving the "legwork" to his younger protege Doug Whaley. Recently, some commentary made by Whaley reagarding this year's QB class gave me cause for concern.

Whaley Said:

“In my opinion it’s basically going to come down to what you value over other things,” Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “All of these guys have a value and some things they do good and some things they don’t do as well. So it’s a matter of what value you put on the quarterback you want to lead your team.”

My problem was with the thought process, and fundamental approach. Keep in mind that BUDDY thinks this is THE YEAR to pull the trigger.

Buddy said:

"Let me say this: I think there's a time that in the era that you're in and the development of your team, there's a time when you can move up a round to take a quarterback," Nix said on WGR-AM, via the Buffalo News. "And I think the time's now for us.

"I mean, if a guy's there -- I keep saying that, and there'll be one out there -- if the guy's there, then I think we'll target -- as I've said before -- drafting a good quarterback. We need a good, young quarterback, and we're going to do our best to get him."

Based on Buddy's apparent desperation, and Whaley's somewhat optimistic evaluation of this years draft class, I feel we could be in trouble come April. I've watched some of these kids for years at the college level. I see maybe TWO kids there that can turn into anything by 2015/2016.

Free agency or trade is the best option to fill this need. I'd rather draft a QB in '14 to be backed-up the playoff defense we draft this April.

Edited by #34fan

Buddy has stated numerous times that drafting a franchise QB is a high priority.

http://profootballta...se-quarterback/

http://www.nfl.com/n...for-qb-in-draft

Which I'm agreement with to a large extent.

While the final decision is Buddy's, it appears he's leaving the "legwork" to his younger protege Doug Whaley. Recently, some commentary made by Whaley reagarding this year's QB class gave me cause for concern.

Whaley Said:

“In my opinion it’s basically going to come down to what you value over other things,” Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “All of these guys have a value and some things they do good and some things they don’t do as well. So it’s a matter of what value you put on the quarterback you want to lead your team.”

My problem was with the thought process, and fundamental approach. Keep in mind that BUDDY thinks this is THE YEAR to pull the trigger.

Buddy said:

"Let me say this: I think there's a time that in the era that you're in and the development of your team, there's a time when you can move up a round to take a quarterback," Nix said on WGR-AM, via the Buffalo News. "And I think the time's now for us.

"I mean, if a guy's there -- I keep saying that, and there'll be one out there -- if the guy's there, then I think we'll target -- as I've said before -- drafting a good quarterback. We need a good, young quarterback, and we're going to do our best to get him."

Based on Buddy's apparent desperation, and Whaley's somewhat optimistic evaluation of this years draft class, I feel we could be in trouble come April. I've watched some of these kids for years at the college level. I see maybe TWO kids there that can turn into anything by 2015/2016.

Free agency or trade is the best option to fill this need. I'd rather draft a QB in '14 to be backed-up the playoff defense we draft this April.

How many times would he have to say "if the right guy is there" before you realized its just draft talk and he didnt promise anything (not could he).

He's given nearly the exact same quote since the day he was hired. How many times have we heard "fitz is our guy unless we see a chance to get a franchise 10 year guy"

How many times would he have to say "if the right guy is there" before you realized its just draft talk and he didnt promise anything (not could he).

He's given nearly the exact same quote since the day he was hired. How many times have we heard "fitz is our guy unless we see a chance to get a franchise 10 year guy"

Look again.

"I mean, if a guy's there -- I keep saying that, and there'll be one out there -- if the guy's there, then I think we'll target -- as I've said before -- drafting a good quarterback. We need a good, young quarterback, and we're going to do our best to get him." -Buddy Nix

What it boils down to is me not trusting this FO to locate a gem in this year's minefield of busts.

IMO, BPA LB will be a more rewarding route. But hey I'm just another pie-hole with an opinion. You should go with the guy that liked TJ Graham over Russell Wilson...

Edited by #34fan

Look again.

"I mean, if a guy's there -- I keep saying that, and there'll be one out there -- if the guy's there, then I think we'll target -- as I've said before -- drafting a good quarterback. We need a good, young quarterback, and we're going to do our best to get him." -Buddy Nix

What it boils down to is me not trusting this FO to locate a gem in this year's minefield of busts.

IMO, BPA LB will be a more rewarding route. But hey I'm just another pie-hole with an opinion. You should go with the guy that liked TJ Graham over Russell Wilson...

Even pete Carroll let him fall to the 3rd

And yes, there will be a qb, and they will be targetting him. Doesn't mean they will get him.

Sooooo.... I still think youre being dramatic

Even pete Carroll let him fall to the 3rd

And yes, there will be a qb, and they will be targetting him. Doesn't mean they will get him.

Sooooo.... I still think youre being dramatic

Dramatic, :lol:

People said stuff like that when I was excited about Kaepernick.... When I called for Gailey's head two seasons ago...When I dissed Fitzy in "11... When I touted Russell Wilson.... When I had raised eyebrows about Wannstedt.

Your Asessment let's me know my thinking is right on time... Thanks.