QB situaution

KGUNBILLS

Looking at the draft class for QB makes me shudder. I say we hold out another year, and see what may develop from there. It would be nice to draft someone with a strong accurate arm, that might actually want to play for the BILLS. I wonder how serious the Alex Smith thing is. I just don't see someone leaving warm sunny California and headed to western New York, being happy and effective. Let's face it, not everyone can handle that harsh, tough climate. it's not for the weak and weary. I would rather wait (at this point what is one more year) to have a possible chance at 8-10 years of what the Pats experience, than to pick up someone that we hope works out for us. Plan it out. Don't just grab anyone because of disappointment with Fitz. Who knows, maybe he will shake it off and play this year. You just never know. A lot of the failure of last season in my opinion was terrible play calling.

Grats on your first post. Not sure if this is a joke or not cause there's already an infinite amount of threads on this very topic.

As far as your Alex Smith idea. Who's serious about it? The fans? It sure isnt the media. It sure isnt the Bills. There literally been zero talk of it nationally that the Bills would make a run at Smith.

As far as the warm weather of SF and the cold weather of Buffalo goes.

First of all, if we're talking a trade then Smuth doesn't get an opinion.

If we're talking FA, it only matters what team pays him the most and his best shot at being a starter for years to come.

If we're talking about the weather in general, obviously you've never been to SF. It's not blizzard like winter conditions but it is generally cool year round. Like in the summer you have to carry a jacket with you because just around the next corner and up 1 hill its freezing cold and your wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

When will people begin to understand that QBs with amazing, accurate arms, that have no real question marks or concerns do not fall to the 8th overall pick.

Also, Alex Smith is garbage. I still can't believe his name even comes up anymore. I really hope Buddy is not interested in him.

This team desperately needs a QB and we're not going to be successful at anything if we keep taking the "Well we should hold off and wait until next year" approach. To get the kind of can't miss prospect of the century in the draft, you have to be incredibly bad and I don't want to watch another season go down the crapper before week 5.

Let's take a solid prospect, play him right away and let the chips fall where they may.

When will people begin to understand that QBs with amazing, accurate arms, that have no real question marks or concerns do not fall to the 8th overall pick.

Also, Alex Smith is garbage. I still can't believe his name even comes up anymore. I really hope Buddy is not interested in him.

This team desperately needs a QB and we're not going to be successful at anything if we keep taking the "Well we should hold off and wait until next year" approach. To get the kind of can't miss prospect of the century in the draft, you have to be incredibly bad and I don't want to watch another season go down the crapper before week 5.

Let's take a solid prospect, play him right away and let the chips fall where they may.

couldnt agree more.

Alex Smith is far from garbage. He would easily be the best QB on our roster. Problem is, it's not gonna happen on account of them re-signing Jackson and (if they do) pay Fitz his roster bonus. All indications are that it's a three-way cage match: rookie vs. Fitz vs. T Jax. In a perfect world, rookie wins starting job and either Fitz or T Jax clearly beats out the other one for the backup job and the other is cut for good.

I can't believe I saying this but....

I think the Bills are going to let Fitz , Jackson and a rookie QB fight it out for the starting job.

They had a bad D last year and just let Wilson and Barrett go. Right now they need Defense way more than a QB. Yea I know we need a QB but this year crop is weak. They had a chance last year to get a good QB and didnt go for it and now they are stuck .

We will find out how they feel about Fitz when March rolls around and they have to pay him that 3 million bonus.

Until that date rolls around there is no sense in guessing. We will know then.

Who are you referring to? Wilson?

Or Cousins, take your pick.

I can't believe I saying this but....

I think the Bills are going to let Fitz , Jackson and a rookie QB fight it out for the starting job.

I can believe you're saying this because it's become clear that's what they're gonna do.

Or Cousins, take your pick.

Sweet....I'll pick Cousins. The 4th round(#102) selection in last years draft.

By saying...

"Yea I know we need a QB but this year crop is weak. They had a chance last year to get a good QB and didnt go for it and now they are stuck ."

....you are implying that there is no QB in the 2013 draft that is worthy of a 3rd round selection, let alone a 1st round one. As there will likely be several QBs that will grade out as 1st round potential talent......your comment makes no logical sense.

This is what I keep saying.

Just because this year's group doesn't have a "can't miss" prospect (like Luck or RGIII), doesn't mean that we can't get a very good quarterback that sets this franchise on the right path. Recent first round draftees like Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco had big question marks coming out of college. There were lots of experts that felt those guys shouldn't be Top 10 picks. But they have all worked out pretty good.

Guys like Luck and RGIII come around every 10-15 years. And the chances of being in the position to draft one - that's almost like winning the lottery.

We can't keep waiting around for the right QB to fall in our lap.

Who are you referring to? Wilson?

Wilson, Kaepernick ,Dalton the last 2 yrs they missed on . God I hope the scouting dept got an upgrade.

I have to say this QB crop isn't spectacular but to say there is no one in this draft that can do more than Fitz is crazy by OBD.

I agree with you

Marone/ Hackett hopefully will see what we have seen the last 3 yrs. That my only hope because I am beginning think they are going to fix the Defense first.

And rightfully so.

I have to say this QB crop isn't spectacular but to say there is no one in this draft that can do more than Fitz is crazy by OBD.

True. And, neither was the class of 2000. Pennington was the only clear cut #1. A qb wasn't drafted til rd. 3 after he was taken in the 1st. Redman was a journeyman and Pennington was beset by arm/shoulder inuries. Only one standing is Brady.

Brady has avg. arm strength and limited mobility. His football mentality is off the charts and that is what makes him elite.

Fast forward to 2013. Similar scenario. Lean year for QB. Consensus seems to be pointing to Geno Smith as the clear #1. But there is one qb out there that, 1 - has a higher fb mentality than any of them as well as IQ. And 2 - is physically stronger than any of them. And based on Whaley's comments about fitting, Bills will draft him at #8 because he won't be there at 41. He's likely to put up excellent measurables at the combine as well. Nassib.

True. And, neither was the class of 2000. Pennington was the only clear cut #1. A qb wasn't drafted til rd. 3 after he was taken in the 1st. Redman was a journeyman and Pennington was beset by arm/shoulder inuries. Only one standing is Brady.

Brady has avg. arm strength and limited mobility. His football mentality is off the charts and that is what makes him elite.

Fast forward to 2013. Similar scenario. Lean year for QB. Consensus seems to be pointing to Geno Smith as the clear #1. But there is one qb out there that, 1 - has a higher fb mentality than any of them as well as IQ. And 2 - is physically stronger than any of them. And based on Whaley's comments about fitting, Bills will draft him at #8 because he won't be there at 41. He's likely to put up excellent measurables at the combine as well. Nassib.

I have said this before....

If the Bills believe Nassib is the guy the want to work with then draft him at 8. Because your right he wont be there at 41. I don't think too many people will blame them if they did.

But since they need LB's just as bad as QB , man they could go QB. LB or WR even in the first.

This is going to be interesting to see what kind of effect the Combine will have. Some dude in shorts is gonna climb up the board. I bet a couple of QB's bump up into the first round after the Combine.

By saying...

"Yea I know we need a QB but this year crop is weak. They had a chance last year to get a good QB and didnt go for it and now they are stuck ."

....you are implying that there is no QB in the 2013 draft that is worthy of a 3rd round selection, let alone a 1st round one. As there will likely be several QBs that will grade out as 1st round potential talent......your comment makes no logical sense.

Bufcomments said it. Not me.

And I believe that one or two QBs will emerge from this draft.

One Bills Drive would never say anything like that.

Why would they denigrate someone who is on the roster?

But if you actually read Whaley's comments today about the QB crop, you would know that they believe that a prospect they like will be available.

Sweet....I'll pick Cousins. The 4th round(#102) selection in last years draft.

By saying...

ok let me clear it up for you.

Sure there are QB's out there that are 2nd or 3rd rounders come in and do well. But I'm saying this years class is not as strong as last years.

Last year was the year to get a QB.

The Bills are always a step behind.

Bufcomments said it. Not me.

And I believe that one or two QBs will emerge from this draft.

One Bills Drive would never say anything like that.

Why would they denigrate someone who is on the roster?

But if you actually read Whaley's comments today about the QB crop, you would know that they believe that a prospect they like will be available.

I posted that wrong. Their actions 'Say' they didn't believe there was anyone there. Sorry I kind of posted that wrong.

As for as what Whaley says, it's 50/50 he is putting up a smoke screen in an attempt to try and get someone to move up and allow us to trade down or more possible put pressure on the guys ahead of us to take QB's when we really want someone else which makes the odds the player we really want will be there.

I can't disagree with that at all. And I am of the mindset, screw scouts, media etc. If I believe X player is going to become what I want him to then I take him and don't risk losing him by waiting.

I can't disagree with that at all. And I am of the mindset, screw scouts, media etc. If I believe X player is going to become what I want him to then I take him and don't risk losing him by waiting.

Getting back to Whaley, to paraphrase, he said there is no clear-cut top QB out there at the moment but that all the QBs have different "qualities" and so teams will draft guys on the qualities that they value the highest.

I guess that means some teams will like Barkley and Nassib for their intelligence and others might like Manuel and Bray for their tremendous natural talent, and still other teams might like the toughness of a Tyler Wilson or the studiousness of a Geno Smith.

If the Bills believe Nassib is the guy the want to work with then draft him at 8. Because your right he wont be there at 41. I don't think too many people will blame them if they did.

But since they need LB's just as bad as QB , man they could go QB. LB or WR even in the first.

This is going to be interesting to see what kind of effect the Combine will have. Some dude in shorts is gonna climb up the board. I bet a couple of QB's bump up into the first round after the Combine.

True. They need lbs. But who is to say Anderson & Kelsay do not fit into the mix. If they lined up today, the two afore mentioned plus Bradham would be in the mix on the outside with Shep, Moats, White, and potentially Bradham inside.

Also, the Bills can fill holes at lb via FA, short and longterm. Example... Bills could fill short term holes at lb with Bart Scott & Cal Pace, or look longer term with Ellerbe, Krueger, Barwin. And they could supplement whatever direction they take in FA regarding lb by drafting some lbs.

At QB the Bills don't really have that option in FA because there really isn't a qb out there that you'd want, short or long term.

Lastly... there aren't a whole lot of Bills fans out there that would be enamoured with Anderson & Kelsay lining up at olb and Sheppard & Moats inside, based on their performances over the past 3 seasons. You can't totally disregard that, but looking forward, are those guys better suited to playing in Pettine's attacking downhill style of defense rather than the read and react defenses they've been playong in? Or, are at least some of them better suited to Pettine's defense, and which ones. Marrone and Pettine will sort that out.

I will say this. If the Bills grab Nassib @ #8, it would not surprise me at all if Fitz is cut in June if he doesn't take a cap friendly pay cut. That way, the cap hit would roll to 2014 and would be only be in the $4m range.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

ok let me clear it up for you.

Sure there are QB's out there that are 2nd or 3rd rounders come in and do well. But I'm saying this years class is not as strong as last years.

Last year was the year to get a QB.

The Bills are always a step behind.

That really doesn't clear up anything.

You are saying that the 1st round graded QBs that will be in this draft will not be graded as high as the 2nd, 3rd & 4th round graded QBs in the 2011/12 drafts.

That makes no logical sense.

The only thing I can think of is that you are playing with hindsight......and fudging on basic math principles.....saying all of the lucky hits happened in the last 2 years so this year it won't happen.

Assuming that after the combine there are QBs legitimately graded as 1st round talent, they will be considered better prospects than Kaepernick, Wilson & Dalton were.....irrelevant to the overall strength of draft class.

What do you all think of Colin Klein from Kansas state?

Good intangibles. Don't like his arm in the least. If he can get some good coaching and learn how to get more velocity on his ball, while adding some accuracy, he could be a good one. 2 very big ifs. I'm betting he's never a starter, not including replacing an inured starter v

Seriously...if the bills are planning to draft a Qb lets say in the second round..why not just try to trade for Ryan mallet with that #41 pick to new england????...Ryan mallet is far beyond better then any prospect in this years draft......unreal arm strenght with good accuracy..played againts best conference in college also lit it up dammm good in preason..........lets go bills!!!!!!!!

Edited by Hotpockets28

More from Doug Whaley at his conference this am:

Re QBs in weather

Doug Whaley: You have to put stock into it because it's going to come into play and one of the main attributes are toughness and arm strength and we'd like to use that weather to our advantage

....Barkley?

Doug Whaley: We'll have a better gauge on that when we see him workout live on March 27th at USC.

Qualities in QB

Doug Whaley: You have to have a guy with a presence, arm strength, accuracy and an ability to make people around him better.....We're going to try to get as much competition at that position as possible, like we will at all positions. Competition makes everybody better and the team better.

Can need trump your board, as in QB, LB?

Doug Whaley: If they're close we'll go with need, but need will not trump position on the draft board if there's a difference in grade.

How can you reassure Bills fans that you will pick a franchise quarterback after missing out on players like Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick?

Doug Whaley: There are no guarantees in this business, but we will do our due diligence to make sure we pick the most talented player to help us to get where we need to be. If a QB is available at the right spot for us then we'll make the call.

Will the Bills take a QB in the first 3 rounds?

Doug Whaley: We're looking for the best player available in the first three rounds. We stay true to our board. If it happens to be a QB then so be it.

Suck for Bridgewater!

YES!!

More from Doug Whaley at his conference this am:

Re QBs in weather

Doug Whaley: You have to put stock into it because it's going to come into play and one of the main attributes are toughness and arm strength and we'd like to use that weather to our advantage

....Barkley?

Doug Whaley: We'll have a better gauge on that when we see him workout live on March 27th at USC.

Qualities in QB

Doug Whaley: You have to have a guy with a presence, arm strength, accuracy and an ability to make people around him better.....We're going to try to get as much competition at that position as possible, like we will at all positions. Competition makes everybody better and the team better.

Can need trump your board, as in QB, LB?

Doug Whaley: If they're close we'll go with need, but need will not trump position on the draft board if there's a difference in grade.

How can you reassure Bills fans that you will pick a franchise quarterback after missing out on players like Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick?

Doug Whaley: There are no guarantees in this business, but we will do our due diligence to make sure we pick the most talented player to help us to get where we need to be. If a QB is available at the right spot for us then we'll make the call.

Will the Bills take a QB in the first 3 rounds?

Doug Whaley: We're looking for the best player available in the first three rounds. We stay true to our board. If it happens to be a QB then so be it.

If what he says in the final quote is true, I don't think there's even a slight chance we draft a QB in the 1st unless its Geno or Barkley (and barkley's a stretch).. I can't see how anyone would rank any other of these QBs in the top 8. If they do, we should fire them because their scouting prowess really sucks.

I really wont be happy if they use the #8 overall pick on Nassib. Nassib will likely have a 2nd round grade and theres no reason the bills cant wait and get him at some point at the top of round 2 (either by staying or trading up).

That really doesn't clear up anything.

You are saying that the 1st round graded QBs that will be in this draft will not be graded as high as the 2nd, 3rd & 4th round graded QBs in the 2011/12 drafts.

That makes no logical sense.

The only thing I can think of is that you are playing with hindsight......and fudging on basic math principles.....saying all of the lucky hits happened in the last 2 years so this year it won't happen.

Assuming that after the combine there are QBs legitimately graded as 1st round talent, they will be considered better prospects than Kaepernick, Wilson & Dalton were.....irrelevant to the overall strength of draft class.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that "Round Grades" are a matter of supply and demand. There are definitely years where a 2nd round grade that year would easily equate to a 1st round grade in another year and cases where a first round grade one year would be a 2nd round grade in another year.

If you believe that QB is a more important position than all other positions, then if the demand (number of teams needing an upgrade at QB) exceeds the available good talent in the draft, it logically follows that the available QBs will be over-valued vs years where the supply-demand ratio is different. Even last year, when there were two clear stars, there were still QBs picked much earlier than one might have expected (Tannehill for example).

Several teams are desperate for a QB including the Bills, Chiefs, Jets and Cards. Many others would be interested, too. I suspect that there will be a fairly early run on QBs (maybe mid-late round 1).

While it would be great to get the next Jim Kelly, it doesn't look like that kind of player is available this year. Depending on who is left by the 10th pick in round 2, the Bills *might* get a shot at a guy who has a 50-50 chance of becoming a good starting NFL QB. Whether they should pick that guy depends on who else at other positions is available.

No debate that QB is the most important position, just a question of how big of a gamble do you make to take one.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that "Round Grades" are a matter of supply and demand. There are definitely years where a 2nd round grade that year would easily equate to a 1st round grade in another year and cases where a first round grade one year would be a 2nd round grade in another year.

If you believe that QB is a more important position than all other positions, then if the demand (number of teams needing an upgrade at QB) exceeds the available good talent in the draft, it logically follows that the available QBs will be over-valued vs years where the supply-demand ratio is different. Even last year, when there were two clear stars, there were still QBs picked much earlier than one might have expected (Tannehill for example).

Several teams are desperate for a QB including the Bills, Chiefs, Jets and Cards. Many others would be interested, too. I suspect that there will be a fairly early run on QBs (maybe mid-late round 1).

While it would be great to get the next Jim Kelly, it doesn't look like that kind of player is available this year. Depending on who is left by the 10th pick in round 2, the Bills *might* get a shot at a guy who has a 50-50 chance of becoming a good starting NFL QB. Whether they should pick that guy depends on who else at other positions is available.

No debate that QB is the most important position, just a question of how big of a gamble do you make to take one.

I understand & agree with your base concept. Supply/demand obviously effects the draft....particularly that of the QB position.

After the combine, and as we get closer to the draft we will see player gradings from many sites. I confidently expect that there will be several QBs who are graded higher than the 2nd(3rd/4th etc) round QBs from previous years.

I hope I'm correct in my assumptions at this point, as we need to start rolling some dice on legit QB prospects ASAP IMO.

Edited by Dibs