Roger Goodell paid 29 mil by NFL

jaybee

Old Rodge makes some good coin ey ? Cut / paste.....................................

By RICHARD ROSENBLATT

AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Nice job, Roger Goodell. Here's your pay: $29.49 million.

NFL owners nearly tripled the commissioner's compensation in the 2011 tax year and likely made Goodell the best paid commissioner in U.S. sports.

According to the league's most recent tax return, much of Goodell's pay comes in the form of a $22.3 million bonus. His base pay was $3.1 million. The NFL was scheduled to file the return Friday.

While the league declined comment on specifics, it must, by law, make the return available upon request.

In 2011, the NFL went through a long lockout prior to the season. Goodell helped work out the new 10-year labor deal that ended the labor strife. That was followed by lucrative new TV contracts with CBS, ESPN, FOX and NBC.

For the year beginning April 1, 2011, and ending March 31, 2012, Goodell was paid $29,490,000, which included $3,117,000 in base pay, $22,309,000 in bonus and incentive compensation, and most of the rest in "other reported compensation," the tax return said.

Goodell earned a total of $11.6 million in 2010.

"The NFL is the most successful and best-managed sports league in the world," said Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who is chairman of the league's compensation committee, in a statement. "This is in no small part due to Roger's leadership and the value he brings to the table in every facet of the sport and business of the league. His compensation reflects that."

By comparison, Saints quarterback Drew Brees is the league's highest paid player with a five-year deal averaging $20 million.

Goodell's compensation was first reported by SportsBusiness Daily.

The next-highest paid NFL official in 2011 was general counsel Jeff Pash. He earned $8.829 million, including $5.93 million in bonus compensation. Pash was the chief labor negotiator during the collective bargaining agreement talks.

Former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue received $8.58 million, all but $1 million in retirement and deferred compensation.

It is believed Major-League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig and NBA Commissioner David Stern earn somewhere in the mid-$20 million range, but neither league's tax returns are public. Both leagues are set up as for-profits.

"Unlike most CEO's of major companies, who are compensated with stock options, the NFL does not provide that," said Marc Ganis, the president of SportsCorp, which does consulting work with the NFL. "So a performance-based bonus is another way of compensation."

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The most interesting part of the story to me is not how much Goodell makes.

It's that the NBA and MLB are set up as for-profits so there is no public disclosure of financial statements while for some reason, the NFL is set up as a not-for-profit, requiring that their financials are public.

I wonder why this is.

The most interesting part of the story to me is not how much Goodell makes.

It's that the NBA and MLB are set up as for-profits so there is no public disclosure of financial statements while for some reason, the NFL is set up as a not-for-profit, requiring that their financials are public.

I wonder why this is.

Section 501(c )(6) of the tax code allows for an exemption for football leagues but not for leagues associated with any other sport. In fact, it specifically mentions professional football leagues. Someone had the right lobbyists around when 501 was amended.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Section 501(c )(6) of the tax code allows for an exemption for football leagues but not for leagues associated with any other sport. In fact, it specifically mentions professional football leagues. Someone had the right lobbyists around when 501 was amended.

Thanks.

Somewhat of an oddity.

That's how the sausage gets made. It's why you need a background check to buy Sudafed but not a thousand rounds of armor piercing bullets.

PTR

That's how the sausage gets made. It's why you need a background check to buy Sudafed but not a thousand rounds of armor piercing bullets.

PTR

Yep. The Internal Revenue Code is a fascinating place. It really sheds light on some things.

(For the record, I don't think you need a background check to buy Sudafed; it's just quantity-restricted.)

Back to Goodell: I wonder whether the comp for 2012 was so high because the bonus was tied to not missing any games due to the labor dispute. I haven't looked at his comp for other years (and I'm not about to do so today).

I saw that and can't figure out how he could be possibly worth that much money. I think I could take over and the NFL would still be flying just as high.

How much influence do you have in Washington DC? How many uber wealthy guys are in your peer group? Do you speaka tha language of the "elite"? Are you well-connected to TV Network executives? How about Wall Street, you go to school with any of the CEO's? Have you been building relationships with these types of people while working for a pro sports team, all the while learning the intricacies of negotiations with them?

These are the kind of things the NFL looks for in a Commissioner, and his paycheck has to at least keep him on the edges of that peer group.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro