Does Kelvin Sheppard Have Anything to Offer?

Rob's House

He's cheap. He'll make the team. He'll most likely be invisible all season. I hope Pettine can get something out of him. In all honesty, if we cut him, I'd be happy. Too slow. Can't shed blocks. Below average instincts. Terrible in coverage. No one would know he was gone.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheppard just doesn't seem to be able to cover enough ground, from what I've seen he always seems to hit the gap on those out wide plays a tad too late. I don't know if it's that his instincts aren't quite there to anticipate those players better or if he lacks the speed to make the play. In any case, I don't believe he is the answer.

Seriously, if you watched him at all, your realized he looked slow, unable to tackle, and not physical in the least.

How many times did you see him in the backfield?

It's hard work for a middle linebacker to disappear for a game. He found a way.

That last quote says it all. You would go an entire half without hearing his name.

Moulds was a great KO returner in the first 2 years and Marv didn't like to play rookies. He just didn't justify his draft position until '98.

Yeah, Marv didn't play rookies, like Cornelius Bennett. But I get your point. My point is Sheppard may not be a three down player but he's not a bust at this point.

I give Shep one more year under Pettine's guidance, though we do need a linebacker or two via draft or Free Agency. I think Mark Andersen will be an OLB in Pettines defense like he was in Bellicheks. Nigel Bradhan is the one lb who will sky rocket in Pettines defense he showed flashes at the end of last year. Sheppard will have one moreyear to prove himself, though he may be out before that.

It would not surprise me to see that Pettine has a deep file on all of our defensive players and knows what he is working with. I am equally certain that he has seen that some players are being misused and that others are simply ineffective. No team has a roster of 53 starters but hopefully he can make sure that the depth and the starters are worthy of an NFL defense. Above all I am hoping for creativity. Whether Sheppard is the beneficiary of that or not will be largely up to him.