Keurig K-Cups: Best and/or Cheapest?

Gugny

So ... As predicted, after caving in and getting my wife a Keurig last November for her birthday, the k-cups are practically forcing me to get a second job. Looking for any suggestions for decent, yet inexpensive, coffee.

I have been experimenting with anything I can find on sale.

So far, I think the New England French Roast taste the best and I was able to get them on sale for $6.99 for 12 cups.

Anyone know of a better deal?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! My wife was just telling me that the prices for K-cups are going up and she wants to find them cheaper. I told her that waiting for a Kohl's sale and 20%+ coupon is the best bet. Either that or using the reusable K-cup with her own choice of coffee, but she likes specific K-cup coffees that aren't available in bulk.

Best deal I've found is at Costco. Tully's House Blend. Box of 80 for $37. They have other brands there as well, but Tully's has been my go to for the past year.

There was a time you could get good prices at Amazon using Subscribe and Save, but the prices fluctuated too much from month to month. The re-usable k-cup basket is fine for many, but I drink way too much coffee to empty and clean that little thing after each cup.

Reusable k cups are the way to go.

That is what I was thinking if we decided to change to that format. Then you can use anything you like, even grind it yourself if you wish. I am under the impression the resusable K-Cups also need little filters. Basically this turns the machine into a small format brewer... Right?

Was getting a couple things at Hannaford yesterday and coffee was on the list. They had one of those little kiosks set up with samples ... of coffee! It was a new Starbucks flavor (blonde) so after discovering it wasn't some flavored crap, I gave it a shot. It was very good. And I got a $1 off coupon, so I went back to aisle 4 to see if they had it in K-Cups and lo and behold, they did. Came to $7.00 for 12 after the coupon - which I can deal with. After having a cup this morning, however, I still prefer the New England French Roast.

My sister has the keurig, I think she found a place that sells them and makes some custom one too in Niagara. The Keurig really is just a single serve coffee maker that requires you to buy their specialty packaging for soffee

My wife has the Tassimo, that is supposed to be different because it reads a barcode to tell it whats being brewed and how to do it. I tried it a few times and am not a fan because I find that it makes too small of a cup unless you want it watered down.

Cost wise, both are going to cost you less then going to a Tim Hortons/Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts, etc, but its more expensive then just using a regular coffee maker to brew a cup

I have a Keurig for my office, but don't drink a ton of coffee (maybe a cup a day).

So, I basically ask for and get a bunch of K-cups for my birthday or Christmas, which last me a while. The one time I bought some, I did so off of amazon for pretty cheap (donut shop blend).

I like Tully's and the Barista Coffee Blend/Columbian the best probably.

After writing this, I now feel like brewing a cup!

Was getting a couple things at Hannaford yesterday and coffee was on the list. They had one of those little kiosks set up with samples ... of coffee! It was a new Starbucks flavor (blonde) so after discovering it wasn't some flavored crap, I gave it a shot. It was very good. And I got a $1 off coupon, so I went back to aisle 4 to see if they had it in K-Cups and lo and behold, they did. Came to $7.00 for 12 after the coupon - which I can deal with. After having a cup this morning, however, I still prefer the New England French Roast.

Just curious... So it is 7 bucks for 12 cups of coffee. How many cups does a normal pound of coffee yield? I don't drink the stuff but, when I shop... You can pick up nice coffe for 7-10 bucks a bag...

IMO, seems kinda expensive if you don't go the reusable K-Cup route? Is it really that much more convienent throwing those little cups away?

I like the idea about making tea and other things though... Our current Krups coffee maker is nearing the end... Seriously considering the K-Cup thing. I think the reusable thing will seal the deal.

Just curious... So it is 7 bucks for 12 cups of coffee. How many cups does a normal pound of coffee yield? I don't drink the stuff but, when I shop... You can pick up nice coffe for 7-10 bucks a bag...

IMO, seems kinda expensive if you don't go the reusable K-Cup route? Is it really that much more convienent throwing those little cups away?

I like the idea about making tea and other things though... Our current Krups coffee maker is nearing the end... Seriously considering the K-Cup thing. I think the reusable thing will seal the deal.

A big container of Folger's, which is what we drank prior to the Keurig, is up to about $11. That probably lasted us 2-3 weeks. The Keurig is undoubtedly more expensive, but one of the benefits that's come from it as that I'm drinking far less coffee. We were drinking too much and we were also wasting a lot. Every morning before work, we would inevitably pour leftover coffee down the drain. And on weekends, I'd make a 12-cup pot and drink the whole thing (mind you, a "cup" is not a regular cup of coffee, so I wasn't really drinking 12 cups ... but it was at least 5) and that is very unhealthy.

And the overall quality of the coffee is just better. The Tulley's that JR mentioned is very good, as are many other brands. Since I'm not really picky, I will continue to just get what's on sale. My wife likes the Donut Shop stuff, which is a little more expensive. But she drinks one cup/day on average, where I drink 2/day on average. I've gotten the Price Chopper and Hannaford brand K-cups and enjoyed them thoroughly.

The convenience is great, as well as the efficiency. I acutally like the thing quite a bit.

Cost wise, both are going to cost you less then going to a Tim Hortons/Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts, etc, but its more expensive then just using a regular coffee maker to brew a cup

Lost on some people is that while the Keurig is sold as a single-serve coffee maker, what it really is is a single-serve hot water dispenser. In our house, anyway, that means I'm no longer trying to figure out if my wife is having coffee or tea in the morning because I'm not making a pot of anything. She also makes fresh iced tea all day long, or can quickly have hot water for oatmeal or a quick hot chocolate for my son. It's great when we have company over because it eliminates the whole "I'll have a cup if you're making some" routine.

Lost on some people is that while the Keurig is sold as a single-serve coffee maker, what it really is is a single-serve hot water dispenser. In our house, anyway, that means I'm no longer trying to figure out if my wife is having coffee or tea in the morning because I'm not making a pot of anything. She also makes fresh iced tea all day long, or can quickly have hot water for oatmeal or a quick hot chocolate for my son. It's great when we have company over because it eliminates the whole "I'll have a cup if you're making some" routine.

Excellent points. Also, my son can make his own hot chocolate without the hassle or the mess.