Are we seriously going to let Levitre walk?

Virgil

I'd be willing to go +8mil/year for Levitre:

1. He's our best Olineman

2. He's versatile and can play tackle for a few games if needed

3. He's already been successful in B-lo and is a sure thing at the position

4. He's been extremely durable

5. Our O-line is relatively young and pretty solid - I'd like to keep it as a strength of this team as opposed to possibly taking a step backwards there too.

I'd prefer to spend high draft picks on skill positions as opposed to drafting a replacement to Levitre (i.e., I'd prefer to draft a high-end WR or TE and sign Levitre as opposed to drafting Levitre's possible replacement and signing a FA WR).

Edited by bobobonators

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a rational level I wouldn't blame him as a person at all, but as a fan I'll hate him forever if he walks away from a competetive offer.

Nix may have to make him a better than competitive offer if some good teams express interest.

If you were him, and a team like SF for example that has a good chance to go deep in the playoffs next year makes you the same offer as Buffalo does, which are you taking?

Nix may have to make him a better than competitive offer if some good teams express interest.

If you were him, and a team like SF for example that has a good chance to go deep in the playoffs next year makes you the same offer as Buffalo does, which are you taking?

It depends. Does the SF offer come with topless blondes that will come over and fold your laundry? :D

I've argued this before, I couldn't blame Levitre for leaving. On draft day he had no choice on his destination. If I were him I'd do the same thing: see who can provide me a combination of the most money + the best opportunity to win.

For example, if the Lions offer around the same as Buffalo or slightly more, I'd probably stay in Buffalo (assuming he likes it here). But if a team like SF offfers me the same amount of money or slightly more than Buffalo, I'd be foolish to stay in Buffalo during the prime of my career.

Edited by bobobonators

Fwiw, I don't think we will resign him before the FA period starts. I feel he will test the market and who knows what happens then.

I agree; Levitre's agent would be nuts not to test the market and OBD knows this.

It depends. Does the SF offer come with topless blondes that will come over and fold your laundry? :D

It does but they're all men.

Edited by nonprophet

Why we shouldn't resign Levitre:

1. He probably wants too much money.

2. Lack of team loyalty - we want guys who put the team above personal interests.

3. He's named after boner medication. That, when playing along side a guy whose name is synonymous with boner, makes our line a laughing stock.

4. Diversity - With Levitre our starting O-line is 80% white; that seems racist. Releasing him would open the door to becoming more diverse along our line.

5. It will give the appearance of vindication to the "Ralph is cheap" crowd.

Edited by Rob's House

2. Lack of team loyalty - we want guys who put the team above personal interests.

3. He's named after boner medication. That, when playing along side a guy whose name is synonamous with boner, makes our line a laughing stock.

4. Diversity - With Levitre our starting O-line is 80% white; that seems racist. Releasing him would open the door to becoming more diverse along our line.

I want the offensive line to get up for the game, stay strong and last all day. #3 is an asset, not a detriment!

3. He's named after boner medication. That, when playing along side a guy whose name is synonymous with boner, makes our line a laughing stock.

Boner Medication is named after him. Thats why we should sign him

One thing I never see posted is that while Andy was cleaning out his locker he said something along the lines of "my desire to stay in Buffalo is a 10 out of 10." Pretty big statement for him to make to never be brought up in the discussions about him.

I tried searching for the quote but it's not that easy on my phone. I'll do more looking for it once I can get to my computer.

Edited by Marcellosaurus

One thing I never see posted is that while Andy was cleaning out his locker he said something along the lines of "my desire to stay in Buffalo is a 10 out of 10." Pretty big statement for him to make to never be brought up in the discussions about him.

I tried searching for the quote but it's not that easy on my phone. I'll do more looking for it once I can get to my computer.

How many players in that position have you ever heard say, "No way I am staying here unless they overpay me?" None? Didn't think so.

How many players in that position have you ever heard say, "No way I am staying here unless they overpay me?" None? Didn't think so.

Exactly. He would have to be a moron to burn any bridges.

Plus any other teams that might be considering him might think of him as a locker room problem if he made a negative statement.

Basically nothing to lose and everything to gain by keeping it classy like he did.

Edited by CodeMonkey

How about this one?

"Andy Levitre made it pretty clear at locker clean out this morning that he intends to shop for the best offer in free agency. Smart move."

This is called the Mario Williams effect. They saw Mario get his money without any problems, then watched him disappear for most of the season. If I am Andy Levitre, and I happen to be the best FA guard option, then I want my money too. Why should I have to give a hometown discount, when Mario didn't. Plus the OL has higher franchise numbers than FS. So which one is considered a more important position?

The only thing I will say here is that we have Glenn for another 3 years on a 2nd round rookie deal so giving Levitre alot of up front money will not kill us as far what we are spending on the OL, but we do need an upgrade at RT and that may need to come from FA. Letting Levitre walk and signing a starting RT and a starting LG may be the way to go.

Also, this staff may not be as sold on Glenn playing T and a switch to G for him may not be out of the question. Many teams had Glenn as a G when he was drafted and looking at Marrone's Saints line, it looks like they like big Guards.

Edited by BrooklynBills

This is called the Mario Williams effect. They saw Mario get his money without any problems, then watched him disappear for most of the season.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Mario Williams. Agents have been trying to get the best contracts for their players since the inception of free agency.