National NFL Fandom Map from Facebook Data

Mr. WEO

That's really cool. It's a shame we can't see it in five year intervals going back a number of years to measure impact of on-field success (49ers, Denver, NO, etc. seem to be benefiting from recent success).

Obviously NE has benefited tremendously over the past 10 years, though I can't believe how many bandwagon douchebags rooted for them over the Ravens. Where's the NE hate people!!

Cowboys still have an impressive fanbase. Funny how they still own Texas almost right up to the Houston city limits.

That's really cool. It's a shame we can't see it in five year intervals going back a number of years to measure impact of on-field success (49ers, Denver, NO, etc. seem to be benefiting from recent success).

Obviously NE has benefited tremendously over the past 10 years, though I can't believe how many bandwagon douchebags rooted for them over the Ravens. Where's the NE hate people!!

Cowboys still have an impressive fanbase. Funny how they still own Texas almost right up to the Houston city limits.

have to remember what some of those areas are - big wide open spaces without other nearby teams (around colorado and bordering states, gulf coast for new orleans). Id assume that mississippi traditionally falls saints even in poor years.

FYI, the link only appeared for me after I quoted your post.

And why would they use so many damn shades of red? It's impossible to tell the difference between the shades of red in areas without a team close by.

Yes, perhaps I'm stupid but this data is not useable to me.

It's too hard to differentiate the colors. Besides that, the map isn't interactive.

It would be nice if you could click on a team logo and you saw only that teams fans along with numerical data.

Thanks for posting WEO. I wish I was capable of understanding it better.

have to remember what some of those areas are - big wide open spaces without other nearby teams (around colorado and bordering states, gulf coast for new orleans). Id assume that mississippi traditionally falls saints even in poor years.

Oh sure, population density is a big factor in those areas. Conversely, the Jets have the smallest area on the map but isn't at all reflective of the size of their fan base.

I would have thought Atlanta pushed further west, but maybe there's a GA/AL dynamic I don't understand. Interesting to note (though not surprising) the Titans, named for a state rather than a city, is almost perfectly defined by the TN state lines.

And as I've pointed out before, the line between Giants/Patriots used to be ~50 miles to the east of where it is now in CT.

Edited by KD in CT

And why would they use so many damn shades of red? It's impossible to tell the difference between the shades of red in areas without a team close by.

Yes, perhaps I'm stupid but this data is not useable to me.

It's too hard to differentiate the colors. Besides that, the map isn't interactive.

It would be nice if you could click on a team logo and you saw only that teams fans along with numerical data.

Thanks for posting WEO. I wish I was capable of understanding it better.

Accuracy of that map is officially called into question. I expect to see a tiny speck of Bills red where I live.

Agreed. The re-use of so many colors so many times pretty much negates the whole thing. Not that it would be that large, but we have literally thousands of Bills fans in Atlanta, being the largest chapter outside NY state. They got this data from FB and our BBA page has thousands of followers too.

Maybe they DID include Bills fans in Atlanta... but the Falcons and Bills are both red :thumbdown:

I'd like to personally thank "Jim in Anchorage" for that small blotch of red in the middle of Alaska which amounts to probably 300,000 Buffalo Bills fans that he converted while living there (either that or it is the number of dead deer and elk he has shot while living up there).

Good Job Jim!!!!

Agreed. The re-use of so many colors so many times pretty much negates the whole thing. Not that it would be that large, but we have literally thousands of Bills fans in Atlanta, being the largest chapter outside NY state. They got this data from FB and our BBA page has thousands of followers too.

Maybe they DID include Bills fans in Atlanta... but the Falcons and Bills are both red :thumbdown:

it would be incredibly weird if one of your local counties was predominantly bills fans. like i said up thread, think of it like an election map more. you win the county you get colored in, even if someone had a strong showing. outside of a few pockets, the colors will simply match the the home teams, and in those big midwestern states with few teams and fewer fans you will see big sweeping areas that are likely very little in the way of fan count.

the jets are the best example as they share a stadium in the biggest city there is but since they are the second tier team, they show nothing. its like voting republican in NYC - you wont win any counties but the raw numbers are bigger than you would see in north dakota.

id be curious to see some of the next level style that were used with the political maps that did shading for splits or corrections for population size. with 32 teams it would obviously be a disaster but if you could just select the ones you were curious about itd be cool (kind of like their playoff and superbowl ones).

I'd like to personally thank "Jim in Anchorage" for that small blotch of red in the middle of Alaska which amounts to probably 300,000 Buffalo Bills fans that he converted while living there (either that or it is the number of dead deer and elk he has shot while living up there).

Good Job Jim!!!!

hes actually the only one with internet, so he took the whole region on this.

Edited by NoSaint