Day After Super Bowl National Holiday

Mark Vader

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, does anyone over the age of 25 really need to 'recover' from the Super Bowl? I get a bigger buzz when we go out to dinner with another couple and order two bottles of wine than I will watching the game.

But the simple solution is to move kickoff up a few hours.

Bingo! Even 5:00pm EST KO would make a world of difference for house parties -which is what the 'holiday' has become. Currently, the commercials and half-time extravaganzas make 'cutting out at half-time' a non-option, for the most part, so you dont get home 'til midnight.. I can't see any drop in audience for starting earlier, so advertisers would still be willing to spend upwards of $4M for a 30 second spot.

OK, so Hawaians would just be getting out of church @ noon. Go to early Mass.

I think more people would watch if it were on a Saturday. I know people argue the opposite, but I have been at a number of SB parties where the game is boring and people leave and go to bed or turn it off completely after halftime because they work the next day. If it was a Saturday they would likely stay up, and even if they arent watching the game, they would have it turned on which is better for the rating than going to bed.

West Coasts fans would turn a SB saturday into an awesome pregame for a good night out, where now its over at 8-9 for them and its just another night I would imagine.

The portion of the universe that is the United States. Unless you work in retail, I don't know anyone who doesn't get Federal holidays off.

I'd say most people don't. Unless you're a teacher, work at a bank, or are a state or federal employee you're out of luck.

The portion of the universe that is the United States. Unless you work in retail, I don't know anyone who doesn't get Federal holidays off.

Seriously?? In the real world no one who doesn't work in government or banking gets the day off.

PTR

Seriously?? In the real world no one who doesn't work in government or banking gets the day off.

PTR

So now teachers are no longer part of the 'real world'? And funny how ridership on NYC subways falls by 2 million people on those days when everybody has to go to work. Not to mention the commter trains running on weekend schedules and highways with a fraction of the traffic. Boy, there sure are a lot of people not living in the 'real world'.

So now teachers are no longer part of the 'real world'? And funny how ridership on NYC subways falls by 2 million people on those days when everybody has to go to work. Not to mention the commter trains running on weekend schedules and highways with a fraction of the traffic. Boy, there sure are a lot of people not living in the 'real world'.

with regards to work schedules, no i would not qualify someone that gets every major, many minor, a number of full weeks, and a couple months in the summer as well as a full array of personal and sick days as a benchmark for what society normally gets.

a HUGE number of people have to work on these dates still.

for the purpose of this talk, it would be better than nothing still.

Edited by NoSaint

So now teachers are no longer part of the 'real world'?

Teachers, it could be argued, are local government employees. Perhaps he was including them in his statement about those that work in government. As far as the part about ridership, perhaps part of that could be explained by people that don't have the day off as a holiday, but are taking the day off to spend time with family, or are forced to due to lack of child care.

with regards to work schedules, no i would not qualify someone that gets every major, many minor, a number of full weeks, and a couple months in the summer as well as a full array of personal and sick days as a benchmark for what society normally gets.

a HUGE number of people have to work on these dates still.

for the purpose of this talk, it would be better than nothing still.

Of course a huge # of people work those holidays. A huge # of people work on Christmas too. My response was tailored to the silly 'real world' comment above.

Of course a huge # of people work those holidays. A huge # of people work on Christmas too. My response was tailored to the silly 'real world' comment above.

comparing christmas to presidents day with regards to corporate holidays is just as silly though.

were not just talking retail and tourism - a huge number of office jobs are still in session on MLK and presidents, very few of those on xmas. he was just equating "real world" to "corporate america".... pretty common comment/joke. those that are off are often using vacation time too these days, which blows.

Edited by NoSaint

A lot of people that I work with end up taking those days as vacation days because they have to stay home with their kids who are off.

National Holidays should be saved for things like the country being founded or recognizing a pivotal civil rights leader. A football game is hardly a reason to have off work and to have it be a National "Holiday"

Thank you. This "post Superbowl national holiday" crap is irritating me. It's only for the lazy people who just want another excuse to intoxicate themselves, drive home drunk, and potentially kill someone in the process.

No wonder the USA is behind the rest of the world.

Thank you. This "post Superbowl national holiday" crap is irritating me. It's only for the lazy people who just want another excuse to intoxicate themselves, drive home drunk, and potentially kill someone in the process.

No wonder the USA is behind the rest of the world.

that escalated quickly.

I have always taken the Monday after the Super Bowl off, a personal tradition a started in 1990. However, this year, I am out of luck. I was going to request it (I would get it), but saw that there were already a couple of people off that day...Super Bowl isn't quite as big for me as it used to be...I will watch, no doubt, but probably won't drink that much...getting old is no fun!

I love having a weekday off, when everyone else is going to work...makes me feel like I am cheating death out of a day!

Edited by Buftex

that escalated quickly.

Yeah, it kinda did....but only as I was typing.

I just think it's a waste of time. I've worked with so many lazy people over the years that it literally disgusts me when they want a day off in order to "recover" from partying during a football game. There are plenty of days off in the year (we should all consider ourselves lucky to be able to have a day off). We don't need another one.

Ive never had a job where I got Presidents day or MLK off. Or the day after Thanksgiving, or Good Friday, or a bunch of other holidays I can think of.

Other than Union or government workers, or the governments cronies, ie banks, I think most people work those days or take a vacation day.

Teachers, it could be argued, are local government employees. Perhaps he was including them in his statement about those that work in government.

Unless they work for a private school, then teachers are government employees. A fact that could not be argued.