will this study get you to quit smoking?

birdog1960

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't the "perimeter" where the most expensive food items are along with where they put the "impulse items" on the end caps?

whole foods are definitely more expensive. processed foods contain subsidized corn. (american agribusiness grows almost 4000 cal of food for every citizen - it has to go somewhere to be sold) i don't think he meant the end caps although it seems overweight people are more avid "enquirer" readers.

LOL...that should be sooooo true....but...

I've met people who say "But I enjoy smoking! Why should I quit something blah blah blah.....driving is dangerous blah blah blah."

I usually reply along the lines of "You wouldn't enjoy it if you weren't already addicted to it."

Some people are just nuts.

I have a very close friend who actually prides himself for not quitting. Whenever NYS does something new to deter people from smoking, his response is always something like, "that won't make the true smokers quit!" He is an otherwise very smart guy (although he is a Pats fan). I don't get his attraction to smoking.

My mom quit smoking when I was 12. She smoked Kool Milds and Virginia Slims. I don't think they make those cigarettes anymore. I wonder if they were a casualty of the Phillip Morris/tobacco litigiousness during the earlier part of the decade.

An edifying postscript to this story is that my mom really stopped smoking when I was 14. She smoked in the bathroom with the fan on for a couple of years until she finally quit one day cold turkey. Neither me, nor my siblings, ever mentioned that we knew that she still smoked because she seemed so happy that we were happy that she was quitting. She hasn't touched a cigarette in over 20 years now. She also doesn't drink soda, alcohol, or eat any meat besides chicken and fish. At 64, she is one of the healthiest people that I know.

I often wonder what the epiphany was, 2 years removed from her declaration that she had quit smoking, that allowed her to really quit smoking.

I usually reply along the lines of "You wouldn't enjoy it if you weren't already addicted to it."

This isn't entirely true. I remember when I first started smoking, that first cigarette of the day would just rush to your head immediately and, suddenly, the world was just a little bit more tolerable. But most people do smoke to the point where they never feel that (half a pack+ per day) after a while, and they're just smoking because they're addicted.

I almost never smoked so much that that first cigarette wouldn't give me a good kick in the pants in the morning/afternoon/whenever I woke up. I always enjoyed smoking. What I didn't enjoy are the noticeable detrimental results of it: my decreased lung capacity, spending more time with the colds I caught, and the fact that I would smell like an ashtray for a good hour after every cigarette, even though I only smoked outside.

• 3 weeks later...

So if I quit now only 4 extra years? What if it takes me 4 years to die? just kidding.... it is really hard to quit been trying different things forever, quit once for 6 years too but been smoking for 30 even with that break. Yikes! IT IS DAMNED hard! If there was one thing that could make me quit, I wish I knew what it was.

I tried my first electronic cigarette on Sat. and have been using it since then.

I wouldn't call it necessarily a completely safe alternative. But it probably is safer than smoking.

I tried this one on a recommendation...Foos1.com

With it, I'm averaging about 2 or 3 tobacco cigarettes a day, as opposed to a pack. To get myself down to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day, I usually have to be pretty sick.

Though it isn't called a nicotine delivery system...it really is, At least as much as the gum or the patch. Its probably as close as you can get to smoking without really smoking. It really isn't like smoking air, as some believe.

It takes a little to get used to, the first drag I took, I hacked like someone smoking their first cigarette. (My wife laughed). I treat it a little more like a cigar now, not fully inhaling it.

You can at least "smoke" in the house, since there really isn't any smoke.

Cost wise, the starter kit was $10.00, came with one cartridge and a rechargeable battery. Battery has a lifetime warranty. The cartridges are about the equivalent of a pack of tobacco cigarettes.

If nothing else, it might get me off tobacco. We'll see.

I tried my first electronic cigarette on Sat. and have been using it since then.

I wouldn't call it necessarily a completely safe alternative. But it probably is safer than smoking.

I tried this one on a recommendation...Foos1.com

With it, I'm averaging about 2 or 3 tobacco cigarettes a day, as opposed to a pack. To get myself down to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day, I usually have to be pretty sick.

Though it isn't called a nicotine delivery system...it really is, At least as much as the gum or the patch. Its probably as close as you can get to smoking without really smoking. It really isn't like smoking air, as some believe.

It takes a little to get used to, the first drag I took, I hacked like someone smoking their first cigarette. (My wife laughed). I treat it a little more like a cigar now, not fully inhaling it.

You can at least "smoke" in the house, since there really isn't any smoke.

Cost wise, the starter kit was $10.00, came with one cartridge and a rechargeable battery. Battery has a lifetime warranty. The cartridges are about the equivalent of a pack of tobacco cigarettes.

If nothing else, it might get me off tobacco. We'll see.

Electronic cigarettes present a whole new problem set

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/electric-cigarette-explodes-fla-mans-face/story?id=15645605

My dad quit smoking cigarettes in 1964 when he was 34. Complained that Rockefeller raised the taxes on them. He still smoked cigars and mostly pipes. In 1983 he quit for good when he had a "silent" heart attack. The damage was done. He found out he had inoperable lung cancer in 1989. Lasted until the day after the Bills scored three TDs in 71 seconds against Denver (Oct 1) in 1990 (he was 60). I remember the day because a few minutes before he went, I was telling him about the game. First thing he said when the doctor told him was "Son of a B word! I should have never started smoking." I think he started smoking at 14.

My dad quit smoking cigarettes in 1964 when he was 34. Complained that Rockefeller raised the taxes on them. He still smoked cigars and mostly pipes. In 1983 he quit for good when he had a "silent" heart attack. The damage was done. He found out he had inoperable lung cancer in 1989. Lasted until the day after the Bills scored three TDs in 71 seconds against Denver (Oct 1) in 1990 (he was 60). I remember the day because a few minutes before he went, I was telling him about the game. First thing he said when the doctor told him was "Son of a B word! I should have never started smoking." I think he started smoking at 14.

Bummer story, 60 is way to young. Remember back in the day tobacco companies really targeted kids and teens. Candy cigarettes, TV and magazine ads of young healthy people smoking. Likely one of the reasons your Dad started so young.

Little late but sorry for your loss.

Electronic cigarettes present a whole new problem set

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=15645605

Yeah, I saw that article the other night.

He might not have been using an E-cigarette though.

http://news.yahoo.com/device-exploded-man-mouth-not-electronic-cigarette-203227292.html

Apparently, some people like to try and modify theirs, or "stack" batteries, for some reason or another. Kinda like a Tim Allen/Red Green e-cigarette.

Today marks 4 weeks of being smoke-free. Legitimately do not enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke anymore. My "smoking gloves" don't smell like cigarettes anymore, so I'm assuming none of my stuff does. Noticeably less winded after exercising and I think my circulation is a little better.

Reads like a diary entry but I don't care.

Today marks 4 weeks of being smoke-free. Legitimately do not enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke anymore. My "smoking gloves" don't smell like cigarettes anymore, so I'm assuming none of my stuff does. Noticeably less winded after exercising and I think my circulation is a little better.

Diary entry or not...that's great to read. Good for you and keep it going.

I always find it interesting that on OTW or PPP there is universal disapproval of tobacco smoking, yet in the many pot threads most posters seem almost proud to point out how much of that stuff they smoke.

Marijuana isn't known to cause physical dependency. Behavioral dependency is a different story though, as any friend/spouse of a pothead can tell you.

My opinion is that nothing is terrible in small doses. A weekly cigar out on the links or passing a joint with your buddies on the weekend are nothing more than small pleasures...for the non addict.

Marijuana isn't known to cause physical dependency. Behavioral dependency is a different story though, as any friend/spouse of a pothead can tell you.

My opinion is that nothing is terrible in small doses. A weekly cigar out on the links or passing a joint with your buddies on the weekend are nothing more than small pleasures...for the non addict.

Unfortunately I can't vouch for that. My job has random drug tests, Job>pot.

Atta boy Levi, that is awesome news!!! And your body starts to heal itself from the very moment of your last smoke, so you can bet your circulation is better!

My thought from the book was always a craving for nicotine felt like being hungry, and it passes in 5 minutes. I will be five years in May, every once in a while still get the odd craving for a smoke....makes me feel good now they go away so easy.