will this study get you to quit smoking?

birdog1960

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you may change your mind when you get middle aged.

So I've been told.

In any case, I've cut down on my smoking quite a bit, to the point where cutting down more will, for all practical purposes, mean quitting.

hmmm...you're either a smoker or you're not. there's no in between. there was a great line to this effect in "silence of the lambs"- can't quite get it though..

From your article:

The two papers did not draw distinctions between people who smoked a pack a day and those who might smoke just a few cigarettes a day, said Dr. Steven Schroeder, director of the Smoking Cessation Leadership Center at UC San Francisco. A next step in terms of study would be "to find out how much less health problems there are for smokers who smoke fewer cigarettes," he said.

Regardless, I'm only buying 1-2 packs per month now. When I said cutting down more would mean quitting, I meant it :lol:

Edited by LeviF91

Reading a study like this will only make smokers smoke more. Elevates stress levels, and smokers think having a smoke calms them down during stressful times. go figure LOL

In all seriousness , I jump on mya soapbox bout once a year and really ask any one who wants to quit to buy this book. I will be 5 years quit on May 8th, and this book made it possible when no other method worked. This book has been a phenomenal success with several of friends and relatives who have read in and successfully quit as well. I seem to remember Stojan having successfully used it, hopefully he is stil quit as well!

http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/

Edited by plenzmd1

http://www.baltimore...0,3430837.story how much would you sacrifice to live 10 years longer? smokers, is this enough to inspire you to quit?

I'd think obesity would have a greater impact than smoking does in regards to longevity.

Far more prevalent than smoking too.

Would people be willing to sacrifice sugar and fatty foods to live 10 years longer?

There is an old saying....

"You never see a really old fat person."

I'd think obesity would have a greater impact than smoking does in regards to longevity.

Far more prevalent than smoking too.

Would people be willing to sacrifice sugar and fatty foods to live 10 years longer?

There is an old saying....

"You never see a really old fat person."

that's kind of a false choice: should i smoke or be obese? how about neither?

at any rate, i quit about 10 years ago not knowing but suspecting (and hoping for) this data. maybe it's more meaningful for ex smokers to know that they have essentially reverted to the norm regarding life expectancy. but i think if i still smoked, this news would be inspiring.

In other news, Minnesota wants to add a 95 cent tax to each pack of cigarettes in order to "deter smoking."

NYS has done the same, and in about 5 years, packs of smokes went from about 4 or 5 bucks to 10....and smoking is down, so one could argue the tax has worked - they are even taxing Indian smokes now too

glad I quit a few years ago - still go plenty of years for my lungs to fully recover

at any rate, i quit about 10 years ago not knowing but suspecting (and hoping for) this data. maybe it's more meaningful for ex smokers to know that they have essentially reverted to the norm regarding life expectancy. but i think if i still smoked, this news would be inspiring.

Are you really suggesting that 10 years ago the perils of smoking weren't documented?

NYS has done the same, and in about 5 years, packs of smokes went from about 4 or 5 bucks to 10....and smoking is down, so one could argue the tax has worked - they are even taxing Indian smokes now too,

glad I quit a few years ago - still go plenty of years for my lungs to fully recover

I have two friends that quit when a pack of smokes went from the 4-5 dollar range to 10 almost overnight just because of the price.

With the new ad campaign that shows smokers talking and breathing through their throats it is hard to believe anyone continues, however many of my friends still do. I'll miss them when they're gone :(

I have two friends that quit when a pack of smokes went from the 4-5 dollar range to 10 almost overnight just because of the price.

With the new ad campaign that shows smokers talking and breathing through their throats it is hard to believe anyone continues, however many of my friends still do. I'll miss them when they're gone :(

Its an addiction. Some people simply don't have the will power to stop.

http://www.baltimore...0,3430837.story how much would you sacrifice to live 10 years longer? smokers, is this enough to inspire you to quit?

I use this graph a lot to show folks that no matter when they quit....there is almost always hope for benefit in terms of lung function. Not the exact parallel as mortality data....but supports the overall premise.

As noted, it shows how a 'middle age' smoker who quits.... then has reasonable lung function well beyond average life expectancy. I.e. it shows an indirect quality of life measure to go with your life expectancy reference. Bottom line...smoking bad. I saw both of my parents quit when I was a teen. It can be an ugly process, but there is no question that obesity and smoking are two of our greatest national 'threats.'

post-3547-0-77143200-1359133575_thumb.jpg

On this front, it's been so cold today and the previous two days here in upstate NY that I haven't had a smoke at all (I never smoke in my apartment) since Tuesday afternoon. I just can't imagine standing idle outside for 10 minutes with at least some of my fingers exposed, but I still see people doing it outside here at work.

My mother quit smoking when I was a child... In the mid 1970's sometime. She saw a picture in Sears of all places. The picture had a "clean" non-smoker lung vs. a lung that was from a smoker. She died of ovarian cancer just over 20 years later @ the age of 59. When my mother came down with the cancer, my father quit smoking... He is still kicking in his late 70's. She'd be living today if they would have known her family history... For some inexplicable reason (well for various reasons), they did a partial hysterectomy and left the ovaries in after my younger sister was born... They were ticking "timebombs" for 20 years and went "off" in 1993... She made it to 1999.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I was just being a bit facetious.

You are 100%....neither is the smart way to go.