New Offense

Texas Hots

Just wondering what people think about all the talk surrounding the counter read and/or pistol offense. IF (emphasis) we kept Fitz for the next couple years to develop a rookie, could we run a pistol like offense with him. He is not RGIII pre-injury but can run OK. Also wondering if we could build on that offense as we have two starting caliber running backs....Just some thoughts. GO BILLS

I think we should do one of two things. We should either do what you just said, and keep fitzy for a couple and develop a young quarterback behind him while implementing a no huddle pistol read option attack. Fitz is perfect for no huddle because of his intelligence and noted ability to read opposing defenses.

Another option is to scoop up the best free agent qb available right now and build around him, which would be Alex Smith. He IS a FRANCHISE qb, and would SIGNIFICANTLY improve our offense overnight IMHO. Then allow fitzy to compete for the backup job

I can't stand when people talk about Fitz' intelligence. If he was that football smart he would be a better QB. Wouldn't be eying WRs for entire plays before he throws it to them, Wouldnt be throwing as many Ints, and wouldn't be throwing it where the WR is instead of where they will be. He might be book smart but on the football field that means nothing. If he can read a defense so well he wouldn't have as many picks.

On that note, Alwx Smith is almost no different. He is Fitz, only on a good team that has a dominant defense and a strong running game. He was simply asked not to lose games. And with the leads they've had over the past 2 years since Harbaugh has been there, there isn't really an argument.

The pistol offense is supposed to be what we have been running since Chan got here. Not sure if its changes but it has barely worked. Maybe with a HC that isn't afraid to give the ball to his #1 draft pick RB more than 12 times a game we can make it work. But until I see that, I am confused as to why it should work.

My .02

I'll be shocked if Fitz is in Buffalo next year.

So, in a year when by general consensus, there aren't any true "can't miss" QBs in the draft, the Bills are going to take one of them and turn the team over to this rookie from day one? And you're okay with that? Or maybe you think they should take some other team's castoff QB and try to get him ready to QB while the rookie is learning the ropes? And who would that be? Alex Smith? Matt Flynn? Even if you could get them to come to Buffalo, what would it cost? Would it be a savings over Fitz? And would any of them be much of an improvement over Fitz?

Personally I'd be surprised if he's not in B-low this year. The after that? That's the real question.

Another option is to scoop up the best free agent qb available right now and build around him, which would be Alex Smith.

Sounds good I guess, but Alex Smith is not a free agent.

I did talk to a guy in full 49er regalia at the airport Monday and he said they would trade us Alex Smith for Stevie Johnson.

Edited by reddogblitz

Sounds good I guess, but Alex Smith is not a free agent.

I did talk to a guy in full 49er regalia at the airport Monday and he said they would trade us Alex Smith for Stevie Johnson.

sounds good, Stevie can't stay healthy so not a huge loss (I think Smith might be released first so we should wait till then)

So, in a year when by general consensus, there aren't any true "can't miss" QBs in the draft, the Bills are going to take one of them and turn the team over to this rookie from day one? And you're okay with that? Or maybe you think they should take some other team's castoff QB and try to get him ready to QB while the rookie is learning the ropes? And who would that be? Alex Smith? Matt Flynn? Even if you could get them to come to Buffalo, what would it cost? Would it be a savings over Fitz? And would any of them be much of an improvement over Fitz?

Personally I'd be surprised if he's not in B-low this year. The after that? That's the real question.

If you know that Fitz is NOT thee guy, does it make any sense to bring him back? Move on. Draft 2. Sign 2. For once in Buffalo, have a competition at the most important position. But don't waste time spinning your wheels with Fitz. What does a guy have to do to lose his job?

I can't stand when people talk about Fitz' intelligence. If he was that football smart he would be a better QB. Wouldn't be eying WRs for entire plays before he throws it to them, Wouldnt be throwing as many Ints, and wouldn't be throwing it where the WR is instead of where they will be. He might be book smart but on the football field that means nothing. If he can read a defense so well he wouldn't have as many picks.

On that note, Alwx Smith is almost no different. He is Fitz, only on a good team that has a dominant defense and a strong running game. He was simply asked not to lose games. And with the leads they've had over the past 2 years since Harbaugh has been there, there isn't really an argument.

The pistol offense is supposed to be what we have been running since Chan got here. Not sure if its changes but it has barely worked. Maybe with a HC that isn't afraid to give the ball to his #1 draft pick RB more than 12 times a game we can make it work. But until I see that, I am confused as to why it should work.

My .02

I wouldn't say they are the same. Over his past season and a half, Smth had 30 TD's against 10 ints. He had 6 come from behind 4th Q wins/game winning drives in 2011, plus another in the Divisional game agaisnt the Saints.

Just wondering what people think about all the talk surrounding the counter read and/or pistol offense. IF (emphasis) we kept Fitz for the next couple years to develop a rookie, could we run a pistol like offense with him. He is not RGIII pre-injury but can run OK. Also wondering if we could build on that offense as we have two starting caliber running backs....Just some thoughts. GO BILLS

I stopped reading after "IF (emphasis) we kept Fitz for the next couple years to develop a rookie,". I don't want to think about it. Not even for a second.

sounds good, Stevie can't stay healthy so not a huge loss (I think Smith might be released first so we should wait till then)

He can stay healthy enough to play in every game over the last 3 years and at least 76 reception for 1004 yards in each. You would trade Stevie Johnson for Alex smith? Wow.

btw, i like your sig ^^

Thanks. ;) I think it's absolutely hilarious

I wouldn't say they are the same. Over his past season and a half, Smth had 30 TD's against 10 ints. He had 6 come from behind 4th Q wins/game winning drives in 2011, plus another in the Divisional game agaisnt the Saints.

first of all, his team was better.

Second, Didnt Fitzputrid have comeback wins against Oak, NE, Cin? and I don't know who else off the top of my head.

Smith does have a better arm, but that doesn't mean he's better. If dare say that if Fitz was in SF they would have made the playoffs this year and if Smith was here we might have won 1 more game (the Titans) when Futz threw a late game pick that actually cost us a win. The rest of the team really accounted for a lot of it.

Either way, if he is better, it's not by much and I don't want him.

Second, Didnt Fitzputrid have comeback wins against Oak, NE, Cin? and I don't know who else off the top of my head.

For all intense and purposes Fitz also brought us back for (what should have been) a win in Pitt except the perfectly thrown football was dropped in the EZ.

I think that the quality of draft QBs is underrated.

Would not surprise me at all if Buffalo starts the rookie.

and implements the offense that best suits him. KISS and let him develop.

Whether we get a pocket passer or a more mobile player.

Marrone has simple language for his play calling and that will help.

No huddle and read options.

Dont have any idea yet whether they keep Fitz restructured or make Jackson an offer. I have no interest in Smith. waste of draft pick or cash and he will want to be the starter long term