Are the Bills any good?

I spent some time looking at the Bills starters top to bottom. I dug into where we have holes and where we might solutions to those problems. I color coded it and put it here:

http://www.thekickisgood.com/?p=4608

BTW, did you see the nice things that Sal from WGR had to say about The Kick Is Good?

http://matthewlstewa...om/?page_id=136

Very cool.

Edited by TheKickIsGood

see this thread.....i agree with it 100%

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/154819-pff-grades-for-bills-playersyeah-fitz-actually-does-suck/

Top 7 Bills Grades Current year ( and previous year)

1) Kyle Williams: +29.4(-2.2 due largely to injury as he was +44.2 in 2010) 3rd highest DT grade in the NFL(Atkins, McCoy)

2) CJ Spiller: +25.4(+7.9) 2nd highest RB grade in the NFL(Peterson)

3) Jairus Byrd: +23.7(+15.3) 2nd highest S grade in the NFL(Weddle)

4) Andy Levitre: +17.3(+19.2) 9th highest G grade in the NFL

5) George Wilson: +12.4(+1.0) 8th highest S grade in the NFL

6) Mario Williams: +10.0(+8.4 with Houston---despite playing under 1/4 of total snaps due to injury) 17th highest DE grade in NFL(directly ahead of Peppers)

7) Stevie Johnson: +9.8(+8.6) 25th highest WR grade in the NFL

Worst 7 Bills Grades(Previous Year Grade)

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick: -18.6(-5.6) 35th ranked QB---4th from bottom

2) TJ Graham: -15.3(NA) 105th ranked WR---WORST ranked WR in the NFL = B. U. S. T. now we see why he couldn't get on the field

3) Mark Anderson: -12.5(+14.5 with New England---2nd highest on defense)

4) Justin Rogers: -9.9(-1.1) 107th ranked CB in the NFL---7th from bottom

5) Erik Pears: -7.2(+6.4) mainly due to playing with injury...

6) Kyle Moore: -7.1(-2.5) 49th ranked DE in the NFL

7) Aaron Williams: -6.6(N/A) 92nd ranked CB in the NFL(tied with Nate Clements)...

to the Top 7 you can add Eric Wood , Freddy Jackson & McKelvin (st)

the Young & Coming you can add Dareus, Gilmore & Glenn

after those 13 players....you could replace the entire team and you wouldn't miss em.....

Edited by papazoid

While watching the playoffs I've found myself wondering how many of our players would actually make the squads still playing. The answer is a few, but how many would be starters? Spiller? Yes. Levitre? Wood? Byrd? Maybe. Stevie Johnson would make a nice #2 receiver. But the playoff teams have looked light-years ahead of where the Bills are now. I'm not talking about potential either. I think Gilmore is going to be a very good CB, and our D-line has tons of potential.

First_and_ten - Yes, as soon as free agency starts the best RG on the team is Keith Williams. and the best FS is Mana Silva. Yikes! If Levitre and/or Byrd walk we're back to square 1 at those spots.

Dude the Bills are not going to start Keith Williams or Mana Silva next year even if Levitre and Byrd both walk (which they won't). They would plug those holes with players who are better at their respective positions than Kelvin Sheppard is at LB or Donald Jones is at WR. You say "yikes" about both of those guys who you've never seen play (who knows, maybe they're good) yet you give satisfactory grades to guys we know are not NFL caliber starters. I like the effort but you need to understand that just because a guy starts all season (Sheppard and Jones) does not make them "average" or "adequate."

Edited by metzelaars_lives

It's surprising that the Bills won 6 games last season when 23 of their top 26 players are either "great" or "good". On one of the worst defenses in the history of the franchise, 12 out of the top 13 players are "great" or "good"? I think your methodology needs to be re-examined.

Need new QB, new #1 WR, three LB's, and a TE. And that is if they resign Levitre and Byrd. That can not be done in one off-season. Can they make the playoffs with a rookie QB, two veteran LB's and a rookie LB...very unlikley. Can they make the playoffs with Fitz, a vetaran WR like Bowe, a veteran LB, and a bad-ass first round rookie LB. Yes they can. Fitz will never be good enough to win the whole think but he might be good enough for 9-10 wins and a WC spot with a better surrounding cast.

Next years success is all based on the new LB's.

The teams long term success is based on Fitz's replacement.

Need new QB, new #1 WR, three LB's, and a TE. And that is if they resign Levitre and Byrd. That can not be done in one off-season. Can they make the playoffs with a rookie QB, two veteran LB's and a rookie LB...very unlikley. Can they make the playoffs with Fitz, a vetaran WR like Bowe, a veteran LB, and a bad-ass first round rookie LB. Yes they can. Fitz will never be good enough to win the whole think but he might be good enough for 9-10 wins and a WC spot with a better surrounding cast.

Next years success is all based on the new LB's.

The teams long term success is based on Fitz's replacement.

disagree slighty

True QB , I say 2 LB's with one being a pass rusher. They will resign Byrd and Levitre if they dont they have to fill those spots in the draft. So I think they will.

Can they win and go to the playoffs with a rookie QB, ask Indy, Washington (2) Seattle .

Yes they can. If he is more accurate than Fitz we can.

Fitz had 3 years. His record is his resume and I say he gotta bounce. The sooner the better.

Edited by Bufcomments

On Offense:

Too many green players on the line.. our line is good but that doesnt mean we cant upgrade at RT or RG

TJ Graham should be red (maybe donald jones too)

On Defense:

Linebackers need to be red (all except for maybe barnett).

Aaron Williams definitely needs to be red

I think you were a little too optimistic, but I can see your arguments. The truth is the Bills have subpar talent at too many positions. How many teams would Donald Jones start for in the league? Aaron Williams?

On Offense:

Too many green players on the line.. our line is good but that doesnt mean we cant upgrade at RT or RG

TJ Graham should be red (maybe donald jones too)

On Defense:

Linebackers need to be red (all except for maybe barnett).

Aaron Williams definitely needs to be red

I think you were a little too optimistic, but I can see your arguments. The truth is the Bills have subpar talent at too many positions. How many teams would Donald Jones start for in the league? Aaron Williams?

Exactly what I said. If the Bills had that many average players and elite players and that few red players, they would've made the playoffs. Again, how can this guy have the player that PFF had ranked dead last out of every receiver in the NFL ranked as average? Ryan Fitzpatrick- at least right now- is a far better QB than TJ Graham is a receiver or Kelvin Sheppard is a LB for that matter. So as long as you play every game or you're not Ryan Fitzpatrick, you're an adequate starter?