Tom Brady's Sissy Kick

I don't think it's right or fair or should be done; just stating a fact.

I've said this before but this is another in an endless series of things I blame on Michael Jordan (although it wasn't his fault). Before Jordan, officials and leagues used to give star players the benefit of the doubt. If something was remotely close, they would give the star the call. There were exceptions, like Wilt Chamberlain never fouling out of a game, because officials wouldn't call that last foul. But for the most part stars just got the call whenever it was close. When Jordan became a superstar, officials started giving him pretty much every call, not just the close ones. It extended to Shaq, and then soon other players. And the NFL started doing it too. Obviously, it's not 100% but it's blatant. This is what happened with Brady and probably why he will not be fined. It was so obvious they may have to though, especially because the Patsies lost.

I don't agree with protecting the star players either but It has unfortunately become the norm.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By definition is a slide with the foot up fall under the definition of a kick? I'm not denying it was a cheap move but not sure the refs missed a call there.

:huh:

Kick:

Verb:

Strike or propel forcibly with the foot.

Noun

A blow or forceful thrust with the foot.

Keep grasping that straw!

Edited by Faustus

By definition is a slide with the foot up fall under the definition of a kick? I'm not denying it was a cheap move but not sure the refs missed a call there.

How do you not see either unsportsmanlike conduct or personal foul on that play, intentionally trying to kick Reed twice, and connecting, if only grazing him. Or are you saying he never touched Reed with his leg?

He was fined. The major difference in these will be Brady's leg staying straight and suh extending his into a target (kick)

Wow, for some reason I have a clear memory that they deemed it unintentional. No idea where that came from, but yes he was fined 30K. Brady's penalty should be more IMO because his kick (yes, it was a kick) was more apt to cause serious injury.

Brady is a b#tch. That play made it even more enjoyable to see the Patriots lose. Almost as bad was Simms completely glossing it over when his producers kept showing replay after replay. Time for Simms to hang them up. Used to like him, but he has become the ultimate shill for stars like Brady. Way too close to the players. Collinsworth might be annoying at times but he's the best because he isn't afraid to call them as he sees them.

Edited by BuffaloRebound

I see what your getting at. He slid and raised his leg, almost like it's Reed's fault for running into the position Brady's leg was in.

I don't really care if it was a kick or a sweep or whatever. Brady's intent was to put is foot into Reed's body. That's bush league, that's unsportsmanlike.

This isn't baseball where it's part of the game to go spikes up into second to break up the play. As others have said, Brady was giving himself up and creating a situation where if he were hit, it would have drawn a penalty. So, if he's in that situation, and then actually trying to create contact by kicking out at a player instead of going down, it strikes me as something that deserves a penalty. It isn't as bad as what Suh did but a few inches' difference and that could have really caused serious injury for Reed. And if it had, you would definitely see a fine.

That's what kind of drives me nuts about the NHL and NFL's discipline via fines - they only come if a guy got hurt or it just looks insanely bad as in the cases of Suh. If no one gets hurt enough to stop play, a dirty play usually goes unchecked by the league.

Should have been a 15-yr "Unsportsman-like Conduct" penalty. That penalty covers a wide array of bad behavior and the kick by Brady definitely would have qualified.

I thought it was bad, but 15 years is a little harsh.

Should have been a 15-yr "Unsportsman-like Conduct" penalty. That penalty covers a wide array of bad behavior and the kick by Brady definitely would have qualified.

exactly. that play should be shown to referees as a prime example fo unsportsman like conduct. the defender literally fell all over himself to avoid injuring brady, probably knowing he would get suspended for running through his leg. i doubt brady would have done the same if the circumstances were reversed.

I see what your getting at. He slid and raised his leg, almost like it's Reed's fault for running into the position Brady's leg was in.

I don't really care if it was a kick or a sweep or whatever. Brady's intent was to put is foot into Reed's body. That's bush league, that's unsportsmanlike.

I would bet the rule gets looked at in the offseason and qb slide gets something written in about keeping the leg down. It could be a tough one to define - the easiest being something along the lines of foot higher than the qbs waist I guess.... It's got to be defined somehow... No one likes the "you know it when you see it" type of definition for penalties as that leaves debate on application.

Edited by NoSaint

Brady is a b#tch. That play made it even more enjoyable to see the Patriots lose. Almost as bad was Simms completely glossing it over when his producers kept showing replay after replay. Time for Simms to hang them up. Used to like him, but he has become the ultimate shill for stars like Brady. Way too close to the players. Collinsworth might be annoying at times but he's the best because he isn't afraid to call them as he sees them.

I can't stand Collinsworth anymore. I agree he's the most knowledgable, but he's gotten a huge head over the years. As I've said before, he's the Tim McCarver of football analysts.

I think Aikman is the best color guy out there now.

Unsportsman-like conduct is always a 15-yarder.

;)

I can't stand Collinsworth anymore. I agree he's the most knowledgable, but he's gotten a huge head over the years. As I've said before, he's the Tim McCarver of football analysts.

I think Aikman is the best color guy out there now.

Yeah. I actually like the current ESPN team but I have a high Gruden tolerance, which I know some people don't. Now that Joe Morgan isn't working, Tim McCarver is definitely one of the better objects of derision in baseball commentary.

In Suh's case, NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson said...

“It appeared to be a little out of the ordinary, let’s just say,” Anderson said Friday on the Dan Patrick Show, via ProFootballTalk.com. “It didn’t appear to be a natural football move, but we’ll withhold judgment until we see all the angles.”

(link)

So, from what angle did Marcia's attempt to kick like a girl look to be a "natural football move"??? :unsure:

In Suh's case, NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson said...

“It appeared to be a little out of the ordinary, let’s just say,” Anderson said Friday on the Dan Patrick Show, via ProFootballTalk.com. “It didn’t appear to be a natural football move, but we’ll withhold judgment until we see all the angles.”

(link)

So, from what angle did Marcia's attempt to kick like a girl look to be a "natural football move"??? :unsure:

For a field goal kicker trying one from 50+ it actually wasn't bad form.

;)

Yeah. I actually like the current ESPN team but I have a high Gruden tolerance, which I know some people don't. Now that Joe Morgan isn't working, Tim McCarver is definitely one of the better objects of derision in baseball commentary.

Funny thing is, I listened to McCarver as the Mets local guy for years and loved him. He is by far the most knowledgable guy I've ever heard in a broadcast booth. But once he became the national guy, he seemed to slowly become more about the act than the game. Probably not his fault -- the networks seem to do that with everyone. John Madden of course being the ultimate example.

I never disliked Morgan from a personality perspective, though quality-wise he wasn't very good.

Funny thing is, I listened to McCarver as the Mets local guy for years and loved him. He is by far the most knowledgable guy I've ever heard in a broadcast booth. But once he became the national guy, he seemed to slowly become more about the act than the game. Probably not his fault -- the networks seem to do that with everyone. John Madden of course being the ultimate example.

I never disliked Morgan from a personality perspective, though quality-wise he wasn't very good.

You know, same here on McCarver. Loved the Mets b'casts and Kiner's Corner, all that stuff.

I started hating on McCarver about the time I started appreciating Moneyball and advanced stats, and same with Morgan. These guys just tend to repeat the same tired tropes about the game and guys who play it the right way, and are dismissive of insights into the game. They've been around it so long they buy into narrative a lot more than what's actually happening in the game.

If you're looking for awesome color commentary, this is going to sound crazy, but put on an Astros game with Alan Ashby in the booth. He just moved from the Blue Jays' team to be closer to home. He is among the very best. I always feel like I'm learning something when he's on, and he (and Jays' PBP man Jerry Howarth) always seems really interested in the game. That's missing from a lot of this authoritative delivery in sports commentary. I also appreciate Dan Schulman calling anything for the same reason.