Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

66, but who's counting? More impressively, the Ducks had 730 yards of offense from scrimmage.

We agree with you.

Signed,

The legions of Michigan QB skeptics prior to the Tom Brady era.

Fabulous. Bills will then select him in the 6th round

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this quote from an "AFC college scouting director" in an NFL.com article about Barkley:

"Based on his junior tape, he was a second-rounder for us anyway. That's his talent. Coming back, you could argue that, with less quarterbacks this year, he should've rose to the top," the scouting director told Breer

Anyone else think that could be Nix talking? Sure sounds like his Southern-speak.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't put it past them to downtalk Barkley in hopes of getting him past Oakland or Arizona, or in hopes he falls to us in the second. They did the same thing with Cordy Glenn last year.

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000156398/uscs-barkley-is-a-backup-qb-says-afc-scout/

For those who want us to pick Matt Barkley with our #8 pick.

Have we learned nothing? I implore you, please divert your thinking by simply using history as a lesson.

Mark Sanchez - Suuuuuuucks

Matt Leinhart - Laugh out loud

Carson Palmer - Had a minute or two of success

Rob Johnson - This should be enough right here

John David Booty - Who?

Todd Marinovich - Yep

Rodney Peete - Was a wonderful back up for many years

Barkley is doomed and frankly hasn't shown much beyond what any of these other chumps have ever shown.

Does any more need to be said?

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?

First of all, Carson Palmer was great until he hurt his leg in the playoff game against Pittsburgh. He was absolutely everything you'd expect from a first overall pick.

And second, I'm not going to argue that any of the other guys are/were good, cause you're right, they pretty much all suck(ed). But this is a very dangerous and juvenile line of thinking. Where these guys played college football means absolutely nothing. It is a coincidence, pure and simple. Did the Lions stop drafting WR's because they had 3 straight first round busts? No, they took Calvin Johnson anyway. If you think Matt Barkley is your guy, you freaking take him. Someday there will be agood QB out of USC and I'll be damned if the Bills pass on him because of silly superstitious stuff like this. You have to look at the chicken and the egg: so if Andrew Luck had decided to play at USC, he wouldn't be any good now?

I'm almost inlcined to argue the opposite- that there have been so many straight busts out of USC that the law of averages says they're due for a good one.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Well between some of our best posters wanting to take him at #8 and a few anonymous scouts saying that he's a second rounder at best, I'll reiterate my opinion that Barkley does everything very well.

His pocket awareness is awesome, his instincts for the game are impeccable, he has awesome ball placement, he's completely developed and polished.

But the lack of zip on his intermediate throws was obvious from the 11 games I watched from the 2011 season. And his propensity to throw 50% of his throws inside of 5 yards from the line of scrimmage is very telling IMO.

This article confirms what I had believed all along and from a publication I respect.

If he's there the search is over IMHO.

http://www.profootba...couting-reports

Do you realize that you're citing the infamous scouting report by Nolan Nawrocki which has caused his credibility to come under heavy fire?

The one in which he appears to have slandered Geno Smith?

I hope not

Negatives: Has short arms and average grip strength (student manager was fired for deflating balls). Does not snap it quickly and spiral is not tight. Heavy-footed and cannot improvise or create with his feet. Cannot easily manipulate his arm and throwing platform under duress and the ball dies when he can’t step into it. Does not drive the ball down the field with high RPMs. Not quick-eyed — many throws are pre-determined at the line, and he will hold the ball too long on some progressions. Can be streaky (see Washington). Never beat Stanford’s pro-style defense in four years.

Summary: A cool, confident, rhythm passer who suffered as a senior behind a leaky, injured offensive line that left little time to throw. Looked much more comfortable as a junior with an elite left tackle. Is slow-footed and could be more prone to injury in the pros and take some time to adapt to live NFL bullets. Leadership traits, strength of character and football IQ will allow to operate at a high level in a play-action passing game with a clean pocket and a talented cast of receivers. Can become a very solid NFL starter and thrive with a strong supporting cast. A cross between Drew Brees and Colt McCoy.

Did we read the same article?

Seems to be hurt a lot but this is all anyone needs to read from it

Negatives: Has short arms and average grip strength (student manager was fired for deflating balls). Does not snap it quickly and spiral is not tight. Heavy-footed and cannot improvise or create with his feet. Cannot easily manipulate his arm and throwing platform under duress and the ball dies when he can’t step into it. Does not drive the ball down the field with high RPMs.

Edited by Max997

Do you realize that you're citing the infamous scouting report by Nolan Nawrocki which has caused his credibility to come under heavy fire?

The one in which he appears to have slandered Geno Smith?

absolutely. 'been following PFW's draft coverage for years and their player evaluations have built a rep that I trust more than any other.

Did we read the same article?

Seems to be hurt a lot but this is all anyone needs to read from it

Negatives: Has short arms and average grip strength (student manager was fired for deflating balls). Does not snap it quickly and spiral is not tight. Heavy-footed and cannot improvise or create with his feet. Cannot easily manipulate his arm and throwing platform under duress and the ball dies when he can't step into it. Does not drive the ball down the field with high RPMs.

every time i post on this board i axe myself why. did you bother to read any of the positives or did you just reflexively snip the negative comments and post up a disagrement flame without one shred of open minded intelligent consideration?

"Based on his junior tape, he was a second-rounder for us anyway. That's his talent. Coming back, you could argue that, with less quarterbacks this year, he should've rose to the top," the scouting director told Breer

Anyone else think that could be Nix talking? Sure sounds like his Southern-speak.

http://m.nfl.com/new...says-afc-scout/

I don't read anything even remotely "southern" in that quote or in the whole article. Which phrase is southern to you?

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, Carson Palmer was great until he hurt his leg in the playoff game against Pittsburgh. He was absolutely everything you'd expect from a first overall pick.

And second, I'm not going to argue that any of the other guys are/were good, cause you're right, they pretty much all suck(ed). But this is a very dangerous and juvenile line of thinking. Where these guys played college football means absolutely nothing. It is a coincidence, pure and simple. Did the Lions stop drafting WR's because they had 3 straight first round busts? No, they took Calvin Johnson anyway. If you think Matt Barkley is your guy, you freaking take him. Someday there will be agood QB out of USC and I'll be damned if the Bills pass on him because of silly superstitious stuff like this. You have to look at the chicken and the egg: so if Andrew Luck had decided to play at USC, he wouldn't be any good now?

I'm almost inlcined to argue the opposite- that there have been so many straight busts out of USC that the law of averages says they're due for a good one.

This! +1