Mel Kiper's updated Big Board 1/9/13

papazoid

The attachment is taken from a KC Chiefs site. It gives a short analysis on the 10 ten qbs in this draft. My position on this draft is simple: Take the highest rated qb prospect on your board with the first pick. At this early stage of draft evaluations my preferred qb is Tyler Wilson. If he is taken then go to the next highest ranked qb on your board.

Nix's greatest failing has been his inability to secure a good qb prospect when they were available. His hesitancy to pull the trigger set this franchise back and allowed other franchises to take advantage of his misjudgments. Let's not again let "perfection be the enemy of the good". Just do it! If it doesn't work out then do it again and again until you get your franchise qb.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/8/3853756/2013-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-analysis

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix's greatest failing has been his inability to secure a good qb prospect when they were available. His hesitancy to pull the trigger set this franchise back and allowed other franchises to take advantage of his misjudgments. Let's not again let "perfection be the enemy of the good". Just do it! If it doesn't work out then do it again and again until you get your franchise qb.

this team will NOT improve until they get a FRANCHISE QB.....as per the other thread, you could add megatron & Patrick Willis to last years team and we still do not make the playoffs. in politics "it's the economy, stupid".....well, in football "it's the QB, stupid".

assuming they do nothing in free agency......we need 2 QB's out of our first 3 picks.......

You want the next Wilson, Kaepernick or Dalton (who isn't a can't miss prospect like Luck) to be sucessful and not turn into the next Colt McCoy or Blaine Gabbert??? If so, give him a top 5 to 7 Defence to work with. There is no chance in Hell that a rookie survives having to score 28 points or more in order to win.

Please don't draft a qb with the #1 pick. We need Versatile LB's who fit the new attacking Defence we will be seeing next year.

There will be plenty of qb option later in rd #1 or even 2nd or 3rd round

He literally has to put on 20 lbs. At 230 he will not cut it at LBer, hes more of a hybrid safety from what I read and saw through the season.

He has serious speed and could be a great cover lb. Might be 10 lbs too small but not that hard to put on. This isn't Maybin this is a football player

......Quarterback in the second sounds like a plan and we should get one of the "top" qbs of a fairly disappointing class if we go that route......

This seems to be a common sentiment.....but is honestly a very risky plan.

There are 4 teams that are likely very interested in a QB who pick twice before our 2nd round pick(pick 41). Chiefs, Eagles, Cardinals & Jets

There are another potential 6 teams who might be looking for a QB who pick before us(2 of them twice). Jaguars(x2), Raiders, Browns, Titans(x2), Bears(Culter is a FA in 2014) & Ravens(if they don't re-sign Flacco).

Assuming the 4 desperate teams select a QB in the first 2 rounds....we will be left with virtually no choices.

Chiefs (1, 34) Geno Smith

Eagles (4, 35) Matt Barkley

Cardinals (7, 38) Tyler Wilson

Jets (9, 39) Ryan Nassib

....and if some of the other teams who may want a QB pick one....we will have no QB who is rated at all.

Jaguars (2, 33) Mike Glennon

Raiders (3)

Browns (6)

Titans (10, 40) Landry Jones

Bears (20) Tyler Bray

Ravens (25) Zack Dysert

If we wait till the 2nd round to try to draft our potential star QB of the future we could end up with nobody.

Edited by Dibs

With all the talk around here and on WGR, it feels like Nassib is already a Bill.

He wore 12 at Syracuse, so I wonder what number he'll wear?

He wore 12 in high school too. Only indication could be that the first number he wore at Cuse was 16.

There are 4 teams that are likely very interested in a QB who pick twice before our 2nd round pick(pick 41). Chiefs, Eagles, Cardinals & Jets

There are another potential 6 teams who might be looking for a QB who pick before us(2 of them twice). Jaguars(x2), Raiders, Browns, Titans(x2), Bears(Culter is a FA in 2014) & Ravens(if they don't re-sign Flacco).

Assuming the 4 desperate teams select a QB in the first 2 rounds....we will be left with virtually no choices.

Jets (9, 39) Ryan Nassib

....and if some of the other teams who may want a QB pick one....we will have no QB who is rated at all.

Raiders (3)

Browns (6)

Bears (20) Tyler Bray

Ravens (25) Zack Dysert

If we wait till the 2nd round to try to draft our potential star QB of the future we could end up with nobody.

That many QB's taken THAT early from THIS lousy QB class seems insane to me. QB's were great last year - there still were only 4 gone by pick 40. (Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden)

Having said that - I suppose the strategy could be to play it by ear - see how many (IF ANY AT ALL) go when it's the Bills' pick at #8. If the answer is "3" you "reach" and get your guy. If it's one or zero (more likely than 3) then I think it's safe to hang on a bit.

You can always (try to) trade back up with someone who doesn't need a QB if there's a run, not that that's a great position to be in.

That many QB's taken THAT early from THIS lousy QB class seems insane to me. QB's were great last year - there still were only 4 gone by pick 40. (Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden)....

I've asked this before in other threads....but....

How did Tannehill & Weeden rate at this time last year compared to Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib & Gleenon etc?

In other words, is this considered a lousy QB class because there isn't a Luck or even a RG3 in it....or is it a lousy draft because every QB in it is without good(standard) level potential?

I imagine that by draft day several of the QBs will be universally rated higher than they are at the moment.

Edited by Dibs

Jets (9, 39) Ryan Nassib

Raiders (3)

Browns (6)

Bears (20) Tyler Bray

Ravens (25) Zack Dysert

I think 8 QBs in teh first 25 picks is outlandish in 2013.

That being said I can see a QB run at the Top of the 2nd that could leave the Bills out in the cold.

LIKE EVERY YEAR regardless of the "EXPERTS" rating of the draft class. If you believe you have identified a true franchise QB you take them with your first pick of the first round.

If the team thinks Tyler Bray will make the team better, allow them to win more games and win a super Bowl. No matter what Mel, That other douche on ESPN, or any of us think. You take Tyler Bray.

I'm not saying Tyler Bray is this type of QB, I believe he is in the middle of the pack in this class. I am saying that if the franchise identifies a franchise QB you do not hesitate to take a franchise QB.

Now Will the Bills identify a player they think is a franchise QB, I doubt it. That would mean they are may pass on the 5 or 6 QBs out of the 8 listed here that are available when they pick in teh first round.

Meaning it is a distinct possibility they get frozen out of QB they like at pick #41.

Which is OK if the team doesn't think there is a franchise QB in the mix. I think all 8 of these QBs have upside as a developmental prospect behind an established Veteran starter, a la Colin Kapernick.

I've asked this before in other threads....but....

How did Tannehill & Weeden rate at this time last year compared to Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib & Gleenon etc?

In other words, is this considered a lousy QB class because there isn't a Luck or even a RG3 in it....or is it a lousy draft because every QB in it is without good(standard) level potential?

I imagine that by draft day several of the QBs will be universally rated higher than they are at the moment.

At this point in time both Weeden and Tanny were regarded as solid 2nd rounders that may drop to the 3rd. But remember the "experts" all seem to forget that teams pay a premium for QBs.

As historically comparisons, I think CBS has a draft grade that can be looked at for YoY analysis. I really don't see them re-jiggering that grade vastly over the months leading up to the draft.

I think 8 QBs in teh first 25 picks is outlandish in 2013.....

Yeah....I was really pointing out that it could easily be 4 QBs in the first 39 picks....with a good possibility of some more.

Ending up with even our 5th preferred QB is not the situation that I would like to see us in.

our 2nd round pick will be around #40 overall.....

it's highly likely that 4 QB's will have been picked BEFORE that.

do we want the 5th best qb in this draft ??

i don't....i want to clean house (fitz, thigpen & tjax) all gone......

this team has too many needs (starting QB, OLB, CB, WR)...but franshise qb is #1

if we had Peyton Manning last season instead of Fitz.....we would be in playoffs....

if we had Fitz, megatron, patrick willis and jj watt last year, we would have still missed the playoffs.

If Blaine Gabbert is an indicator, then it is a little less of a risk now than in the fairly recent past. Still, swinging for the fences on a QB at the top of the 1st round this year, when that QB would've been a 4th or 5th round pick last year, is a very big gamble. It can set your team up for multiple years of failure, get everyone fired, and heap more disappointment on the fanbase, if it doesn't work out. Another approach could be to go into FA hot and heavy [edit: or trade] and roll the dice on a guy in the 3rd or 4th round that has his own set of flaws and strengths.

At this point in time both Weeden and Tanny were regarded as solid 2nd rounders that may drop to the 3rd. But remember the "experts" all seem to forget that teams pay a premium for QBs.

As historically comparisons, I think CBS has a draft grade that can be looked at for YoY analysis. I really don't see them re-jiggering that grade vastly over the months leading up to the draft.

It doesn't look like the CBS draft grades are out yet. Maybe they put the number on them after the combine.

Yeah....I was really pointing out that it could easily be 4 QBs in the first 39 picks....with a good possibility of some more.

Ending up with even our 5th preferred QB is not the situation that I would like to see us in.

That would only happen if the Bills were in exact Sync with the rest of the NFL.

Just because we took the 5th QB doesn't mean we took the 5th best QB. The Bills rate Tyler Bray higher than any of the QBs and take him at #41 and think they got the deal of the draft.

Also the real focus is on incremental differences.

Is there a big difference between Tyler Wilson and Landry Jones? I mean really?

So again, if you don't think one of them is the "man" then you need to come up with ones you are comfortable with to develop in the second and ones you are uncomfortable to develop in the second.

That would only happen if the Bills were in exact Sync with the rest of the NFL.

Just because we took the 5th QB doesn't mean we took the 5th best QB. The Bills rate Tyler Bray higher than any of the QBs and take him at #41 and think they got the deal of the draft.

Also the real focus is on incremental differences.

Is there a big difference between Tyler Wilson and Landry Jones? I mean really?

So again, if you don't think one of them is the "man" then you need to come up with ones you are comfortable with to develop in the second and ones you are uncomfortable to develop in the second.

I'm thinking all of this back and forth is due to the fact that the draft is a long way of and nobody knows how the QBs are going to be generally assessed.....and nobody will ever know how the Bills will assess the QBs.

If it ends up that there are 3 or 4 QBs who are considered at least a level better than their QB draftee peers then they very likely will all be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round.

If there are 5+ QBs....I agree....not much difference, take the one left.

I wouldn't put it past the Pats* to draft a QB in this or next year's draft and groom him to take over from Brady. I am not sure they are sold on Mallett.

I think its more likely the Pats trade Mallet for a 2nd or 3rd than they are not sold on Mallet.

Brady hasn't shown any signs of slowing and Mallet is going into the 3 year of a 4 year, 3rd round rookie contract that would be really cheap for the team that acquired him.

I'm thinking all of this back and forth is due to the fact that the draft is a long way of and nobody knows how the QBs are going to be generally assessed.....and nobody will ever know how the Bills will assess the QBs.

If it ends up that there are 3 or 4 QBs who are considered at least a level better than their QB draftee peers then they very likely will all be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round.

If there are 5+ QBs....I agree....not much difference, take the one left.

Yeah and this draft is the weakest draft in the last 3 or 4 years. So this time of year is even more borring.

IMO the draftees at the end of the 1st round in 2013 look like 3rd round picks in 2011.

People are high on Mike Glennon, but I am not one of them, I just don't see it

If Geno Smith or Matt Barkley fall, you take one of them at your pick & I'd pick Tyler Wilson, Ryan Nassib even Collin Klein before I take Glennon

I problem right now is scouts are using the Bowl Games aganist & for players moving up, I still high on Smith & Barkley, the Combined could change that & it could change my mind on Glennon but I feel my choice are safe

our 2nd round pick will be around #40 overall.....

it's highly likely that 4 QB's will have been picked BEFORE that.

do we want the 5th best qb in this draft ??

i don't....i want to clean house (fitz, thigpen & tjax) all gone......

this team has too many needs (starting QB, OLB, CB, WR)...but franshise qb is #1

if we had Peyton Manning last season instead of Fitz.....we would be in playoffs....

if we had Fitz, megatron, patrick willis and jj watt last year, we would have still missed the playoffs.

Quite honestly, your post is absurd man.

Quite honestly, your post is absurd man.

wait...which part ?...(laffin)....i know, i went for BOLD..

i truly believe we would have won 4-5 more games with Peyton.....

and i also believe that the way fitz played, if we had all those others guys, maybe 2 more wins

just trying to emphasize the importance of top qb play versus any other position....

wait...which part ?...(laffin)....i know, i went for BOLD..

i truly believe we would have won 4-5 more games with Peyton.....

and i also believe that the way fitz played, if we had all those others guys, maybe 2 more wins

just trying to emphasize the importance of top qb play versus any other position....

You have to be careful with hyperbole when you are in internet forums. The reason being that even though it might sound like an obvious overstatement(hyperbole), there are plenty of chowder heads who type overstatements as their solid opinion. It's often difficult to tell them apart.

(I'm obviously referring to your "if we had Fitz, megatron, patrick willis and jj watt last year, we would have still missed the playoffs." line.)

You have to be careful with hyperbole when you are in internet forums. The reason being that even though it might sound like an obvious overstatement(hyperbole), there are plenty of chowder heads who type overstatements as their solid opinion. It's often difficult to tell them apart.

(I'm obviously referring to your "if we had Fitz, megatron, patrick willis and jj watt last year, we would have still missed the playoffs." line.)

check this thread out.....i like it.....(cause it agrees with my thinking....laffin some more....)

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/154819-pff-grades-for-bills-playersyeah-fitz-actually-does-suck/

check this thread out.....i like it.....(cause it agrees with my thinking....laffin some more....)

http://forums.twobil...ally-does-suck/

My apologies(I think?)....your assumed hyperbole was actually what you think?

For the record, I think we would have made the playoffs if we had P. Manning......and I think we have more talent than our record shows.

I also think that if we had fitz, megotron, patrick willis and jj watt we would have made the playoffs......and that it's quite ridiculous to think that a relatively talented team could add 3 of the best players in the league and not make the playoffs.

People are high on Mike Glennon, but I am not one of them, I just don't see it

If Geno Smith or Matt Barkley fall, you take one of them at your pick & I'd pick Tyler Wilson, Ryan Nassib even Collin Klein before I take Glennon

I problem right now is scouts are using the Bowl Games aganist & for players moving up, I still high on Smith & Barkley, the Combined could change that & it could change my mind on Glennon but I feel my choice are safe

I was going with what you were saying, and respecting your opinion... Until you said you'd take Collin Klein is above Glennon for you. Collin Klein has ZERO NFL future as a QB. He likely won't even be drafted... And Barkley didn't play in a bowl game.

Whoever said that if we had Peyton Manning we would've made the playoffs is absolutely right. This team is a playoff team with Peyton Manning on board. But he's wrong about the second one. If we added Megatron, JJ Watt etc. we would be a playoff team as well.

I was going with what you were saying, and respecting your opinion... Until you said you'd take Collin Klein is above Glennon for you. Collin Klein has ZERO NFL future as a QB. He likely won't even be drafted... And Barkley didn't play in a bowl game.

Whoever said that if we had Peyton Manning we would've made the playoffs is absolutely right. This team is a playoff team with Peyton Manning on board. But he's wrong about the second one. If we added Megatron, JJ Watt etc. we would be a playoff team as well.

Not so sure about that. We got much better play out of LDE this year and it had no effect on record. That kind of gap up from 6 to 10 win playoff team can only come from QB IMO.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Collin Klein was more of a sarcastic pick but he could be a project & Mel Kiper did use Matt Barkley not playing in a bowl game.against him, which is wrong

Not so sure about that. We got much better play out of LDE this year and it had no effect on record. That kind of gap up from 6 to 10 win playoff team can only come from QB IMO.

That sort of polarizing view rankles my hackles. :)

I totally agree that QB is super important. I have been saying so ever since I joined TSW & it has annoyed me every year when we make no legit effort to find "the guy".

It is still possible however....though very unlikely....to Dilfer yourself a win in the SB. And it's a hell of a lot easier to Dilfer yourself into the playoffs....teams do that all the time.

Don't be surprised if Nassib is available in the 2nd round. It seems like the Bills are the only team that holds him that high. DE or LB in the first round is the right pick. Need to stop the run first before we can think offense.

I agree. I also think they could trade up to get Nassib if they thought he was going higher in the Late first or early second. I see them bringing two new QB's into camp. One could be a late pick or a FA . The high qb they draft this year just may wind up being a career backup and the real guy shows up next year where the prospects look much better. The defensive linemen and the LB's available at pick 8 look too good to pass up.

Alternatively the Bills could trade down for a change Like New England does more often than not. They could really use three picks in the first two rounds. With the Chandler injury they do not have a starting TE for the beginning of the season. There are some good big Wr's out there also. DE, LB, QB, Safety, who plays nose guard when they go into the 3-4?. Troup is a long shot, Easly is a fail and Graham might be right behind him. Wow. they seem to have a ton of neeeds ,.

Fitz could be around for another year. Nix and Whaley have a lot of work to do. The good news is that the coaching jobs are being filled early and they will have time to fully evaluate the options.