CNN Sports to be provided by.....

I'm not sure how many of you out there follow CNNSI for some of your sports news, but I tried to access their webpage today and was directed to a link for Bleacher Report. Evidently, Bleacher Report is "on a mission to revolutionize the way fans learn, think, and talk about their favorite teams." The complete "transfer of power" is scheduled to happen sometime in February.

Many folks on here have been critical of Bleacher Report due to the perceived sub-par sports coverage. In fact, many posters who provide links to Bleacher Report stories are often chided for doing so. For those of you who know more than me about Bleacher Report are they really changing the way they do business, or is this a very ill advised move by CNN?

Here is the link....

http://www.cnn.com/c...ts-is-changing/

Thoughts?

Yep. Because about a month ago there was a link to an "article" there left here. It seemed a little fishy, so I did a search on some key phrases from it, and it turns out the "writer" for BR was simply copying articles they found on newspapers websites, adding a sentence or two and calling it their own.

Yep. Because about a month ago there was a link to an "article" there left here. It seemed a little fishy, so I did a search on some key phrases from it, and it turns out the "writer" for BR was simply copying articles they found on newspapers websites, adding a sentence or two and calling it their own.

Isn't that what espn already does with their paid service?

The internet is the 'real deal'?? 'Son' you need to get out of the pastures a little more often...

:-)

When I was a teenager it was great to see it. Then I got the internet and saw the real deal. No one really cares about the swimsuit issue anymore.

Bleacher Report's business model and brand is very confusing for most people. They started out as a "fanpost" type of site, where anyone can write articles and publish them. They've since changed, and have hired actual beat writers while instituting author review policies and procedures. They still put out a lot of crap via unpublished writers, so it can be very hard to separate the real from the fake on that site. It's one of the reasons I got lampooned for posting a (ended up being correct) tweet by a writer there on our coaching search, even though he was of the paid beat writer variety.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the site, they produce a lot of SEO crap like slideshows, have a lot of terrible writers, etc., but it's not a brand that you can completely dismiss - just mostly dismiss.

CNN has been embracing a model of crowd-sourced news (that ireport garbage they do), so it makes sense they'd want to go this way with sports too.

One thing I'm not clear on in all of this: will they still be connected to SI or is that brand being phased out? I do go there for the random Peter King stuff and a few other writers, so I'll need to figure out where to head to find those ones.

It seems that every time I do a google search for something football related, the bleacher report shows on 90% of the links.

I personally find it is fluffy pulp & it is driving me crazy having to go to page 2 or 3 on my google search to find the information I'm after.

Is the bleacher report that popular....or do they have a trick they use to get so many google results?

Probably a killer SEO team

It seems that every time I do a google search for something football related, the bleacher report shows on 90% of the links.

I personally find it is fluffy pulp & it is driving me crazy having to go to page 2 or 3 on my google search to find the information I'm after.

Is the bleacher report that popular....or do they have a trick they use to get so many google results?

Long story, but basically SI and CNN are part of the Time Warner (TW) conglomerate.

SI is part of the "Time" division while CNN is part of the "Turner" division.

The current TW management looks at Time and Turner differently, and believe that Time serves one market while Turner serves another market.

SI will still exist at SI.com.

It's sorta like TV and newspaper being under the same umbrella, with the thinking that there is no synergy between them.

Probably a killer SEO team

yup - they have focused heavily on getting the numbers on the backend, often at the expense of content. the 40 page slide shows being 40 unique views and clicks instead of just reading one article for instance.

Not sure if you were responding to me, but if so, I also said it generally sucks.

less directly to you. the debate has come up a few times and we often get people (typically affiliated with BR) that tell us about how its revolutionary, and they are improving their quality and have real journalists and we just dont get what they are doing.