Parcells Rule on 2013 QBs?

symbiant

Okay, so we Bills fans are all hip and modern and into football analytics now... so can a football sabermetrician out there tell me if there's a better formula than the Parcell's rule for predicting NFL success?

http://www.footballo...r-forecast-2012

There's another system. Note the prediction for Russel Wilson.

Also Hondo, what do you think of that 26-27-600 Rule posted upthread?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things regarding this topic...

1. EJ Manuel somehow always gets forgotten in these discussions and I simply don't know why. He has 25 wins and his completion percentage is around 68% for his career. I would love it if he or Nassib were there for the Bills in round 2.

Totally agree. I like Manuel. I would be happy with Manuel, Glennon or Nassib in Rd2.

I'm hoping the Bills re-sign Levitre but if he walks, grab Warmack in Rd1 and then the best QB in Rd2. If you keep Levitre, take the best LB in Rd1 and the best QB in Rd2.

Totally agree. I like Manuel. I would be happy with Manuel, Glennon or Nassib in Rd2.

I'm hoping the Bills re-sign Levitre but if he walks, grab Warmack in Rd1 and then the best QB in Rd2. If you keep Levitre, take the best LB in Rd1 and the best QB in Rd2.

Other than Glennon (who I really wouldn't like in any round) we're on the same wavelength. I was thinking the same thing after watching Warmack destroy people last night. If they do let Levitre walk, you can then use the money they would have had to pony up for that fat contract to grab two really good LBs in FA (that is, if there are any available).

If we agree that the elite QBs in the NFL are P.Manning, T.Brady, A.Rodgers, E.Manning, M.Ryan, B.Roethlisberger and A.Luck will be then they have following minimum stats from college..

Minimum 25 starts (Rodgers+Brady)

Conf Win%= 58% (E.Manning)

TD-Int Ratio= 1.58 (M.Ryan)

Comp %= 60% (M.Ryan)

Ryan played on a very average BC team and won a lot of close games late. E.Manning played for Ole Miss in the SEC so winning games was tough. Rodgers was a JC transfer and Brady competed with D.Henson at Michigan.

The QBs that meet this criteria would be....

Geno Smith

EJ Manuel

Landry Jones

Matt Barkley

Tahj Boyd

Matt Brown (Illinois State)

Collin Klein

Aaron Murray and AJ McCarron would make it too but aren't coming out this draft.

The interesting thing to me was the Jason Campbell rating. I have been an advocate for signing him to be the "placeholder" QB until whomever we draft is ready. I think he could run the "read option" offense that seems to be the current trend in the NFL.

I think that last year's draft class was just exceptional. Russell Wilson is a freak of nature. Andrew Luck and RGIII are the real deal, but Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, and Blaine Gabbert are poster boys on why you shouldn't waste a first rounder on a quarterback or play a rookie quarterback right away.

That is what always amazed me about this whole "Parcells Rules" hub bub.

Any QB metric that fails to account for the QB's ability to complete passes is probably going to be very limited. Granted, winning games will tend to correlate somewhat with completing passes, but it's pretty far removed.

FINALLY my boy Manuel is gettin some love from TBD - I was on an island for a long time....guess we just needed to talk "Parcells" and people start coming around haha...

for real, im not saying Manuel is gauranteed to light the world on fire from jumpstreet....I just think he has all of the tools, has done it week in and week out against the best competition in college ball, and can still grow in mechanics (which arent bad) and accurarcy (which isnt bad) with the right coach/offensive scheme...he seems to be "the best of the bunch" and im willing to take a gamble on him - especially in round two....