Parcells Rule on 2013 QBs?

symbiant

Yes...I forgot his GM years...

Chad Pennington (Round 1, pick 18) 2000

Also yes....

Chad Henne (Round 2, pick 26) 2008

and...

Pat White (Round 2, pick 12) 2009

IMO there we no true star QBs selected by Parcells using his formula.....arguably no good QB either.

Bledsoe was a very good qb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So it appears that the "Parcells Rules on QBs" yielded 1 good quarterback (Bledsoe) in 4 tries.

Pennington was decent to good.

Hostetler I don't count because he was drafted by legendary Giants GM George Young. I don't believe Parcells had much to do with that pick.

The other two (Pat White, Chad Henne) basically suck/sucked.

Even if you give Parcells credit for all 5, it's not exactly a resounding endorsement of his rules.

Not bad but not all that great either.

The rule is determine Peyton Manning from Ryan Leaf not to be Applied to any QB at any time willy nillY.

I also believe completition percentage is in there too.

All the links I saw only have the same 4 rules I posted upthread.

Not saying I'm right but can't find anything that contradicts what we already have.

All the links I saw only have the same 4 rules I posted upthread.

Not saying I'm right but can't find anything that contradicts what we already have.

You are correct. I was thinking of the 26-27-600 rule which is far more interesting tHan Parcells' rule.

I'd like to see the 26-27-600 Rule applied to first round QBs.

Bledsoe was a very good qb

I used the term arguably because I didn't want things turning into an old argument about Bledsoe's abilities.

I personally think he was good....not very good. Some think he was bad or very bad & I guess some think he was great or horrible also.

The pertinent point I think is that none of Parcells drafted QBs ended up being of the calibre that we are wanting our new QB to be.

IMO the Parcells rule is a good guideline but one should not discount players that don't fit into the rules(for many varied reasons). This likely applies to all sets of rules in these sort of situations.

You are correct. I was thinking of the 26-27-600 rule which is far more interesting tHan Parcells' rule.

I'd like to see the 26-27-600 Rule applied to first round QBs.

For those interested....this article explains and covers recent history with the 26-27-60 rule:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html

Interestingly Fitz is on the relatively short list of QBs given since 1998.

Furthering(for interest sake)....

2011 draft class.

26-27-60 qualifiers:

Greg McElroy

Christian Ponder

Blaine Gabbert

Ricky Stanzi

Andy Dalton

2012 draft class.

26-27-60 qualifiers:

Andrew Luck

Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

Kirk Cousins

Interesting misses 2011 + 2012

Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Colin Kaepernick

Robert Griffin III

Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden

Brock Osweiler

I do think the Parcells rules have met their expiration date, FWIW, due to the natire of the game changing.

Someone posted this link in one of the recent "football analytics" threads, and it summarizes a fairly accurate formula (roughly 70%), although it's dated from 2011:

http://www.fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Player_News/Content/QB_College-QB-Vers1.0_2-17-2011.htm

Obviously we don't know wonderlic - so here's how they do on the 1st 2 parts

Tyler Wilson - FAIL 25 starts (lost one due to injury as a senior otherwise would have made it)

Matt Barkley - PASS

Landry Jones - PASS

Ryan Nassib - PASS (barely)

Geno Smith - PASS

Zac Dysert - PASS

Tajh Boyd - PASS (barely on starts)

Mike Glennon - PASS (by the slimmest of margins, 26 starts and >60% completions by 4 completions over his entire career)

So this shows us almost zip w/o the wonderlic.

Obviously we don't know wonderlic - so here's how they do on the 1st 2 parts

Tyler Wilson - FAIL 25 starts (lost one due to injury as a senior otherwise would have made it)

Matt Barkley - PASS

Landry Jones - PASS

Ryan Nassib - PASS (barely)

Geno Smith - PASS

Zac Dysert - PASS

Tajh Boyd - PASS (barely on starts)

Mike Glennon - PASS (by the slimmest of margins, 26 starts and >60% completions by 4 completions over his entire career)

So this shows us almost zip w/o the wonderlic.

Should be 27 starts.

That would rule out Glennon yes?

Okay, so we Bills fans are all hip and modern and into football analytics now... so can a football sabermetrician out there tell me if there's a better formula than the Parcell's rule for predicting NFL success?

I would think that if there was one then at least one team would have used it by now.

Success rates for virtually all positions and draft places(except 1st round interior OL & #1 in the draft) are extremely low. If fans fully understood the average chance that their 1st round choice has of becoming a good starter in the NFL there would likely be a lot less interest shown by said fans.

Edited by Dibs

Furthering(for interest sake)....

2011 draft class.

26-27-60 qualifiers:

Greg McElroy

Christian Ponder

Blaine Gabbert

Ricky Stanzi

Andy Dalton

2012 draft class.

26-27-60 qualifiers:

Andrew Luck

Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

Kirk Cousins

Interesting misses 2011 + 2012

Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Colin Kaepernick

Robert Griffin III

Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden

Brock Osweiler

It would be interesting to see where they fall short as the miss group appears as though it may change the rule some.

Should be 27 starts.

That would rule out Glennon yes?

Yes, Glennon now fails by 1 game

Boyd had 27 on the dot IIRC

Re the misses the last couple years I dunno if we know for sure about Newton, Locker, or Kaepernick yet. RG3 was a miss he probably missed on starts but he was injured so it might be relevant to note why a player misses the starts category, are they not playing or did they get hurt 1 year.

I was really underwhelmed by Tannehill when I saw him, Weeden stinks, and we know nothing on Osweiler.

Two things regarding this topic...

1. EJ Manuel somehow always gets forgotten in these discussions and I simply don't know why. He has 25 wins and his completion percentage is around 68% for his career. I would love it if he or Nassib were there for the Bills in round 2.

2. Secondly, the competitive drive aspect of an elite QB can not be discounted. Of course you must have the physical skills necessary, but you also must have that huge competitive drive, determination and work ethic. Just look at guys like Brady, Manning, Brees. All of them have these traits.