Argument against Fitz

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arm strength is definitely a question and he missed some open receivers this year, but does anyone who thinks he was the reason we lost the games we did have any idea how terrible our defense was in the entire history of our organization and the league. I am not saying that we should not let him go because we could do a lot with three million dollars and Levitre resigned, but that seems like a big gamble with Thigpen in the bullpen. We lost games because of our defense. Fitz didn't help his cause, but an average defense gets us at 8 and 8.

Wow. Some people don't give up when the ship has sunk. We didn't lose every game because of Noodle Arm, but he was as big a problem as the defense was. They went through a 5 or 6 game span where the defense played as good as anyone did, but we still lost most of those games, in large part because of Fitz, not entirely, but in large part. The QB is the most important player on the team and when yours sucks, you are most likely going to suck along with him.

Fitz needs to go. It has nothing to do do with the defense. He is literally a coin flip as to how good or bad he can be from series to series. Fitz helps the opposing team's defense on a semi-regular basis. No thank you. Fitz will never win a playoff game no matter what team he is on. As for the salary cap, not really my problem. There is no justification to continue paying the man. I think that if there was anybody who lost the team this year, it would be Fitz. After every pick early in the season the entire team would go into a shell. If you game plan around what Fitz is actually good at you basically are stuffing the offense into a phone booth. Why?

Kill a couple birds with one stone, name Fitz the offensive coordinator. It would get him off the field and he has to be as smart as anyone the Bills have had on the sideline in years. (Don't get your panties in a wad, it is sarcasm).

Everybody knows the Bills must bring in a young QB for the future. However... we know Marrone is going to do the due dillegence on evaluating the entire team.... and that will include Fitz. When that evaluation is complete, does Marrone believe that Fitz is serviceable for him short term.... can he put Fitz in a situation where he can be effective? Fitz has a rag arm, we get it. But, he does have some intangibles that are necessary in a starting QB. He is football smart, he does have pocket presence, he does read defenses well, he does get the ball out quickly, he can move/slide in the pocket, he can roll out, and he can run and pick up critical yardage. The huge problem is putting Fitz into situations where the game is put on his shoulders to win. He can't do that. And, he does not have a "money" guy he can go to. Stevie ain't demonstrated that with any consistency nor has Spiller. He tries to go to Stevie but Spiller misses a blitz pickup, or Stevie either drops it or readsd the coverage wrong and runs the wrong route. They both show splashes and neither of them shows much leadership. Fitz has his share of issues to be sure. If the Bills have a defense that can live up to what we all thought they would be, then things are looking a whole lot different. Fans that believe if you put Nassib, Glennon, Boyd in the exact same situation that Fitz has been living in the past three years and believe the outcome is going to be better are nieve or just plain flat out stupid. Yeah, those three young guys I mention may air it out throw down field, but they would easily have put the defense at even a worse disadvantage with their miscues. Bottom line, the offense in general can't improve much if the defense does not turn around rapidly and significantly. You can not game in and game out ask your offense to delivery 35 points if your defense is giving up 34.

But finding another veteran QB to replace Fitz on the roster will eat up that $3 million and then some. I believe cutting Fitz will already count $10 million on next season's cap number. The Bills may be better off just keeping him for one more season while drafting the future QB this April.

Not sure I can take another season of Fitz's terrible play. With him the offense will never be effective, it is too easy to defend against when there is no down field threat, because he can't throw downfield. I would rather sit through a terrible season from a rookie (at least it is experience) then another season of Fitz's crap. Every season Fitz plays, it extends the time that we finally have a franchise quarterback who is ready to roll.

dr trooth he is a loooooo-za i don't see these intangibles you speak of......pocket presence is terrible, reading defenses? by locking onto one wr and throwing INT's?

lets close this book once and for all.

The rest of Fitz, meh, but his pocket presence was fine.

Bills don't have a cap problem. But they probably don't want to pay a $10 million roster bonus in March to a guy who may not be on the roster this year.

The roster bonus is 3M for being on the team on March 1st and not 10M. His total salary for the season would be 11M including that 3M

dr trooth he is a loooooo-za i don't see these intangibles you speak of......pocket presence is terrible, reading defenses? by locking onto one wr and throwing INT's?

lets close this book once and for all.

Dude... Tell it to Marrone. I ain't making the decisions, just keeping it real and telling it like it is.

The true, 100% breakdown of Fitz' salary situation:

He's due a $3 million bonus two days after the SB that, if cut, he will not get.

Then he has other bonus' and roster incentives around $7 million total that the Bills wouldn't have to pay if he's cut.

No matter what, his cap hit will be $10 million at least, but only goes up to about $10.45 million if he's kept. We don't really save cap space by keeping him, but we would be keeping money that we could put in other places.

I think our defense lost us more games earlier in the year. But they provided us opportunities at times that Fitz and the offense couldn't take advantage of. We have problems getting guys open, and we have problems getting the ball to the open guy.

Well, if his coaches were good, he might not have stunk it up quite as bad this year and the D didn't help that much either (actually thinking about it either did losing Nelson so early), but he proved not to have "IT" too many times as well. I was finished with him around game 6 or 7 (I forget which). And as for his pocket presence, how many fumbles did he lose this year and last? That is unaware. I was in the guys corner for a long time (he really didn't look that bad for a while with Fawell and in the second half of year one and beginning year 2. He looked okay for a stretch here and there (I think for about 14 games he had decent outings and seemed to be improving but they were over 2 seasons and then it fell apart), while he was starting but it is imperative we get a good QB.

Fitz can down size his contract and see how much our new head leader can do with him but I see him as a back up. Alex Smith might be a better plan. Thiggy will be long gone, I am not sure that the other guy will (lol why can't I even remember his name right now). Should be an interesting off season for sure. BTW Fitz is a tough stand up guy and seems pretty nice. I like him much better than anyone since Kelly or Flutie (which just shows you what a crap wad the organization has given us). I hope this will be a new page in the Bills history because watching our coaches ruin every QB who shows something is pretty boring and not worth it in the end.

At the moment there is nobody else. There are no assurances that they pick up a veteran. Thigpin, Jackson and Smith are certainly not the answer. We have no idea who will be available to draft and in what round until it happens.

The most alarming thing is that there was no back up plan for Fitz. How is it possible that there is no young QB on the roster or even on the practice squad?

For God sake even teams with highly established franchise QBs draft young guys to groom.

This is the single most damning thing about Nix.

Why in the hell does ANYONE support this guy? I could care less if our QB was up for Sainthood...if he doesn't win football games in critical situations, doesn't have the arm strength to complete deep passes (ever), absolutely scares nobody in this league and consistently has an ENTIRE FAN BASE anticipating a game-ending INT, it's time to move on. He is a joke that will never QB in a playoff game. Ever. Wow.

Edited by Marauder24

Arm strength is definitely a question and he missed some open receivers this year, but does anyone who thinks he was the reason we lost the games we did have any idea how terrible our defense was in the entire history of our organization and the league. I am not saying that we should not let him go because we could do a lot with three million dollars and Levitre resigned, but that seems like a big gamble with Thigpen in the bullpen. We lost games because of our defense. Fitz didn't help his cause, but an average defense gets us at 8 and 8.

Why is it necessary to rehash this tired topic? Fitz has had three seasons to prove he was the answer. The results speak for themselves