ESPN: Chip Kelly staying at Oregon

honestly, if the guy knows what he wants and it wasn't in any of the teams interested in him...he made a wise decision to stay. I think it's kind of a dick move to those franchises, but I have a hard time faulting him for choosing his best chance for success.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm betting he's not particularly pressed to jump into the NFL unless it's the best possible situation for him. So long as his teams continue to score and win at the current clip, he'll have his pick of the litter of several available NFL jobs.

The fact he's apparently spurned at least 3 teams in 2 years may do some damage, but desperate teams will still be lured to him like sailors to a siren.

Bingo.

Turning down teams has nothing to do with getting interviews in the future. He'll probably interview for another two teams next season.

Kelly has NFL credibility issues moving forward. Scoff and laugh as you will.

I am. It's insanity to think he won't be getting more interviews every year until he's a coach. He's the hottest college coach in the nation.

I'm betting he's not particularly pressed to jump into the NFL unless it's the best possible situation for him. So long as his teams continue to score and win at the current clip, he'll have his pick of the litter of several available NFL jobs.

The fact he's apparently spurned at least 3 teams in 2 years may do some damage, but desperate teams will still be lured to him like sailors to a siren.

I'm not sure that happened this year. Only three teams wanted to meet with him out of 7 this year. I agree teams will be calling, but jobs like the Eagles don't open up often. Of course no one knows if he just made the decision to go back. The Bills quickly moved on after the interview, it was either because they felt he wasn't interested or they chose to not pursue him. Unlike most, I believe it's possible the Bills said nah.

I'm not sure that happened this year. Only three teams wanted to meet with him out of 7 this year. I agree teams will be calling, but jobs like the Eagles don't open up often. Of course no one knows if he just made the decision to go back. The Bills quickly moved on after the interview, it was either because they felt he wasn't interested or they chose to not pursue him. Unlike most, I believe it's possible the Bills said nah.

The Bills weren't willing to wait around, so that's pretty plausible. Or Kelly told them from the get-go he wasn't really interested, we'll never know.

I think the NFL is still not ready to embrace his methods and philosophy. The Patriots, Redskins, arguably the Seahawks and a few other teams are using elements of his style of offense to varying degrees and levels of success, but even fewer (virtually none) are using percentage based risk assessment like he does. The number of teams interested in Chip Kelly and his style of football will probably increase as the game continues to evolve--- and the lines between the college and pro games continues to blur.

Edited by Punch

Here's my scorecard on the Marrone hire vs the Gailey hire:

2010: Bills interview 3 coaches, are turned down for numerous interviews, everyone knows who they're interviewing and when, Bills settle for Gailey

2013: Bills interview 5 coaches, are turned down by no one, no one knows when the interviews took place, Bills hire their first or at worst, their second choice

Like night and day.

I'm thinking Buddy Nix had a very small role in this weeks events.

2010: Bills interview 3 coaches, are turned down for numerous interviews, everyone knows who they're interviewing and when, Bills settle for Gailey

2013: Bills interview 5 coaches, are turned down by no one, no one knows when the interviews took place, Bills hire their first or at worst, their second choice

Like night and day.

Marked difference in the three year span.

Like night and day.

And the Bills are the 2nd of 7 teams to fill their vacancy, unlike in years past when we were usually last.

PTR

One thought I've had is I wonder if Kelly set impossibly high terms for his hiring because some part of him really didn't want to take the ultimate step.

Perhaps the fact that he never played college football and never spent any time at all in the NFL caused him some self doubts?

Just a thought.

Like night and day.

I guess all those coaching candidates from 2013 didn't get the memo that "nothing has changed" at 1 Bills Drive.

They should have spent more time reading the naysayers' posts on this forum.

:lol:

People keep saying this but don't provide a link. Who is everyone else??

And so will Cowher. Oh wait, he still gets interest year after year. Good coaches pick when, where, and how. If you don't think so, then you're just plain wrong.

Link?

Difference - cowher doesn't hold teams hostage for days while other candidates are hired.

honestly, if the guy knows what he wants and it wasn't in any of the teams interested in him...he made a wise decision to stay. I think it's kind of a dick move to those franchises, but I have a hard time faulting him for choosing his best chance for success.

It's not just that he explored his options, weighed the pros and cons, and decided the best fit was to stay at Oregon.

It's how he did it. If the reports we have been getting are even close to accurate, it sounds like Chip really did not handle this in a professional manner.

The NFL is a tiny little clique and everyone knows everyone else's business.

If in fact Kelly hosed the Browns or any other team, word of that will spread and be known on the inside among the various franchises...and it could well tarnish Kelly's chances of getting an NFL gig rolling forward.

Even if, yes, a desperate team at the right time might well still want to hire him.

This whole saga turned out to be interesting, but weird.

Without question, Kelly emerges from this looking bad at best. At worst, he may have committed to a career in the NCAA, even if he doesn't realize that.

One thought I've had is I wonder if Kelly set impossibly high terms for his hiring because some part of him really didn't want to take the ultimate step.

Perhaps the fact that he never played college football and never spent any time at all in the NFL caused him some self doubts?

Just a thought.

It does seem something like that may have taken place. Your scenario is plausible and even understandable, but it's also highly amateurish and not what you would expect at this level.

Edited by Stopthepain

Difference - cowher doesn't hold teams hostage for days while other candidates are hired.

Neither did Kelly. He openly went to interview with Philly after Cleveland.

It's not just that he explored his options, weighed the pros and cons, and decided the best fit was to stay at Oregon.

It's how he did it. If the reports we have been getting are even close to accurate, it sounds like Chip really did not handle this in a professional manner.

The NFL is a tiny little clique and everyone knows everyone else's business.

If in fact Kelly hosed the Browns or any other team, word of that will spread and be known on the inside among the various franchises...and it could well tarnish Kelly's chances of getting an NFL gig rolling forward.

Even if, yes, a desperate team at the right time might well still want to hire him.

This whole saga turned out to be interesting, but weird.

Without question, Kelly emerges from this looking bad at best. At worst, he may have committed to a career in the NCAA, even if he doesn't realize that.

It does seem something like that may have taken place. Your scenario is plausible and even understandable, but it's also highly amateurish and not what you would expect at this level.

Absolute nonsense.

There is no loyalty in the NFL to other teams or owners.

Wade Phillips refused an owners order, resigned, and then was a head coach again a few years later.

It doesn't matter how bad you "diss" a team. If you're a hot name, you get called.

The desperate teams will be the situations he's avoided already two different times. The man is an attention whore. I won't say he'll never get to the NFL, if he truly wants to do that. But it won't be any time soon. The word is out...