Bills need LBs.... No problem

Dr. Trooth

He doesnt look big enough to play LB in the NFL to me...Im sure his real weight is nowhere close to his listed weight

Not directed at you specifically but cue the Aaron Maybin comparisons.

Same "listed" size as Von Miller. Lets pass on another young defensive stud because of the moronic size factor.

He doesnt look big enough to play LB in the NFL to me...Im sure his real weight is nowhere close to his listed weight

Has his size been confirmed? In order to clear this up, we need to see what he looks like standing next to Vincent Jackson in an off center photograph from 50 feet away. That will tell you if he's big enough.

No to jones. Great 3-4 OLb, not a good fit in coverage. He's a pass rusher

Has his size been confirmed? In order to clear this up, we need to see what he looks like standing next to Vincent Jackson in an off center photograph from 50 feet away. That will tell you if he's big enough.

Or in a shot standing next to Vernon Davis with a girl slung over his shoulder.

I'm not gonna disagree with you here but I'll add that a lot of these great rush backers have the necessary athleticism to become great coverage linebackers.

They rarely do because they are asked to perform their core competency but you see my point.

IMO, people make a little bit too much of the argument that a 3-4 OLB is not suited to play OLB in a 4-3.

There are some great players who can play well in either scheme. I watched Barkevious Mingo running around out there for LSU and he definitely looks like he could patrol the zones, wreck people coming over the middle, and single up on tight ends.

I said this before about our drafting strategy... Since we don't draft well, if we're to go QB, we should draft the QB with the hottest girlfriend... Now if we're talking LB's, we should draft one who is good at giving emotional speeches and the raspier the voice the higher draft pick we use...

LMFAO! That Von Miller thread was epic. Interestingly though, since that photo came out, NFL teams have placed life-sized cutouts of Vincent Jackson in a suit and they have all their prospects stand next to it just to be sure.

GO BILLS!!!

Posters on the board are so funny. Just because a guy plays 3-4 OLB in college means he must be only good at 3-4 in the NFL? Just because a guy is a USC quartaback he must be as bad as Sanchez and Leinart? Just because a guy had a decent year at Miami OH, he's the next coming of Roethlisberger? Do you guys actually think that Von Miller wouldn't be a great NFL 4/3 OLB?

It seems that only 10-20% of the people here actually watch any college games at all. The rest are lemmings to ESPN analyst and unwarranted comparisons to other players.

Jones is a phenom talent that has the talent to play 3-4 or 4-3 OLB. Just because he's been asked to rush the passer in college, doesn't mean he can't cover the pass in the NFL. A slight learning curver, sure but he has tremendous speed and makes plays all over the field. We would be very lucky to have him, no doubt. However, I'll grant the knoweldgable posters concern over the neck issues, worrisome indeed.

Alec Ogletree got overshadowed by Jones. Personally he is exactly what the Bills need at LB. If you went LB in the first i would like him over Te'o. I just think Ogletree's game translates better long term to todays NFL. And given that LB's have to pass cover now more than ever Ogletree would be better suited for that.

To me he is one of the few 3 down LB's coming out.

Alec Ogletree got overshadowed by Jones.

To me he is one of the few 3 down LB's coming out.

This is hugely important.

Unless your roster is already stacked, you don't want to spend high draft picks on situational players unless that player is a very special talent.

More to the point, if you're gonna spend a high pick on a linebacker, you want him on the field a high percentage of the time.

People on this board were going crazy for Rey Maualuga a few years back ignoring the fact that he was a run down linebacker. Cinci eventually chose him 38th overall.

Haven't seen Teo play, don't want to make an unfair comparison. But if he's bad in coverage and he can't rush the passer, there's zero rationale for taking him at #8.

Keuchly went high last year because he was an obvious every-down linebacker.

If your DTs eat space and take the O line off your MLB, you give him the chance to make plays. He draft may yeild a new MLB for the Bills but there might be a hidden gem in free agency. Either way, the team needs an infusion of talent and youth. Don't be surprised if the Bills throw a curve ball and take a pass rushing DE in the first round.

Or in a shot standing next to Vernon Davis with a girl slung over his shoulder.

I'm not gonna disagree with you here but I'll add that a lot of these great rush backers have the necessary athleticism to become great coverage linebackers.

They rarely do because they are asked to perform their core competency but you see my point.

IMO, people make a little bit too much of the argument that a 3-4 OLB is not suited to play OLB in a 4-3.

There are some great players who can play well in either scheme. I watched Barkevious Mingo running around out there for LSU and he definitely looks like he could patrol the zones, wreck people coming over the middle, and single up on tight ends.

I see your point and while I don't feel he's the ideal pick, nor will he be available when we pick at 8, I'm warming up to the idea that he can play 4-3 OLB. It won't utilize his best skill, which is rushing the passer, but with some proper coaching, he can probably be a decent 4-3 OLB due to his athletic ability.

I see your point and while I don't feel he's the ideal pick, nor will he be available when we pick at 8, I'm warming up to the idea that he can play 4-3 OLB. It won't utilize his best skill, which is rushing the passer, but with some proper coaching, he can probably be a decent 4-3 OLB due to his athletic ability.

Also there's no rule against lining him up as a pass rusher in obvious passing situations.

My favorite OLB43's, assuming our new DC sticks with the 4-3, are Arthur Brown and Sean Porter in RD2

and Jelani Jenkins in RD3 (still hasn't declared). Porter needs to add weight, but has real explosion, has played in an NFL style defense, plays right and left side, has superb acceleration, adjusts well to blitz pickups and audibles, and is known for his pass rushing. Arthur Brown was Draft Scout's #1 OLB, but I have him #37, and he might climb up in the Senior Bowl. He plays ST, and he's an opportunistic playmaker who minds his gaps.

I like Brown, he could be that replacement of Barnett at WLB. Very instinctive player and we need that in the worst way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.