If you think the Bills didn't run enough this year

Hmmm... I just did a bit of research into the Bills and running the ball yesterday and today

On 1st and 10

Bills ran the ball 53.3%, and passed 46.7%

Btw on 3rd and 1

Bills only ran 68% of the time, successful 77%

Bills passed 32% of the time, successful 67%

EDIT: More here... http://yardsperpass.com/?p=227 http://yardsperpass.com/?p=225

Edited by jonramz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Schefter, in his ESPN column today, notes that each of the past 4 SB champs did not feature a 1000 yard rusher and that those teams did not feature top rushing attacks, save for the 2009 Saints who were 6th.

However, each of the last 3 SB champs had a top five passing offense.

For those fans that say if a play fails it is the wrong call, at what point are the players responsible for a failed play?

I think the point was more about fan reaction rather than relative fault of the play call or the players. That was my take anyway.

FWIW I'm a Chan Backer.. I thought he was a great leader and put together a great offense. If you actually watched the offensive schemes plays were there to be made just not executed. I think injuries to the WR core hurt Fitz and faith in Wanny led to his demise.

FWIW.. Little Donte would have helped this defense much more than the G Wilson this season.

Hindsight .

i will agree with this. But at the same time you don't handcuff yourself by putting your team in positions to fail. He constantly did that. With a running game working as well as it did, it's a shame that on 3rd down and short (almost the entire season) he almost never had a RB in the backfield. That is a very big knock ok Chan and his play calling throughout his tenure with the Bills. It shouldn't go un-noticed. Oh wait. It Didnt. He was fired. I win.

i will agree with this. But at the same time you don't handcuff yourself by putting your team in positions to fail. He constantly did that. With a running game working as well as it did, it's a shame that on 3rd down and short (almost the entire season) he almost never had a RB in the backfield. That is a very big knock ok Chan and his play calling throughout his tenure with the Bills. It shouldn't go un-noticed. Oh wait. It Didnt. He was fired. I win.

per above

Btw on 3rd and 1

68% is more than half the time he ran .. but yes I agree there were some key situations where he did not run.. and probably should have. Additionally how many times did our Oline shoot us in the foot and move a 3rd and short to 3rd and Long or first and long?

That is having trust in your O Line coach to fix the issue.

per above

Btw on 3rd and 1

68% is more than half the time he ran .. but yes I agree there were some key situations where he did not run.. and probably should have. Additionally how many times did our Oline shoot us in the foot and move a 3rd and short to 3rd and Long or first and long?

That is having trust in your O Line coach to fix the issue.

oh. You didn't even get me started on CJ being pulled off the field in the red zone situations. And just because it was 3rd and 1 doesn't mean it's 3rd and short. What about a 3rd and anything 4 yards or less? Anything less than 3 yards is almost a given that the RB could fall forward and pick up the 1st. Anything from 2.5 to 4 yards is questionable but could easily be converted with our running game.

As I said, in 3rd and short we had too many 5 WR sets from a shotgun formation as well as we had too many running plays in a 3rd and long (over 10 yards) situation.

At the end of the day, no matter what anyone says, Chan was not good enough no matter how much someone supports his ridiculous play calling and he was fired because of his horrible management on every level.

The Dallas Cowboys (as a team) ran for 1240 yards this year. Spiller ran for 1244 yards this year by himself.

Sorry man but not buying this. When you have one of the best backs in the game you feed him the ball. Spiller could of easily reached the 2k mark and we would of been sniffing playoffs. Move along

Edited by billsfan_34

The Dallas Cowboys (as a team) ran for 1240 yards this year. Spiller ran for 1244 yards this year by himself.

We were #13 in attempts but #4 in yards per attempt. When you're that effective running the ball you should be a top 5 in running attempts, not in the middle of the pack. Vikings, skins and 49ers were ahead of us in yards per attempt and all three were in the top in in number of attempts. All three made the playoffs doing a lot of what they did well. We tried to force the issue passing too much when we should have been running more, not being in the middle of the pack.

We were #13 in attempts but #4 in yards per attempt. When you're that effective running the ball you should be a top 5 in running attempts, not in the middle of the pack. Vikings, skins and 49ers were ahead of us in yards per attempt and all three were in the top in in number of attempts. All three made the playoffs doing a lot of what they did well. We tried to force the issue passing too much when we should have been running more, not being in the middle of the pack.

and this

and this

Just to add to this and why there is a lot of talk on why Morris should be the ROY and not Wilson or RGIII. The Skins, Vikings, 49ers and Seahawks were all in the bottom of league in number of passes per game. Us #23. Again, something we were bad at and we were in the middle of the road again. Run more balls.

Third and short aggravated me to no end this year. I don't mind passing more often than not, but the empty backfield set is pretty one dimensional.

Gilbride used to do this too.

I swear if I am ever an NFL owner, I will walk out of my skybox, straight down to the field and fire my head coach right in front of a national TV audience in the middle of a game if he ever EVER goes empty backfield on 3rd and 1.

Gilbride used to do this too.

I swear if I am ever an NFL owner, I will walk out of my skybox, straight down to the field and fire my head coach right in front of a national TV audience in the middle of a game if he ever EVER goes empty backfield on 3rd and 1.

Really? 10 seconds left down by 4 and you're not put max receivers out.

Just to add to this and why there is a lot of talk on why Morris should be the ROY and not Wilson or RGIII. The Skins, Vikings, 49ers and Seahawks were all in the bottom of league in number of passes per game. Us #23. Again, something we were bad at and we were in the middle of the road again. Run more balls.

your last sentence makes the whole thing. We were bad at passing and good at running. That's all that needs to be said. Regardless if we ran more than others or even many based on the "skewed" stats that have been posted. We should have run even more than we did. Anyone can see that.

call it what you want Promo. It's starting to sound like your a Chan backer. Just sayin.

WTF!!! Someone says something that isn't true. I correct it with evidence, and BOOM! I'm an apologist or a ----lover???

Do you have such a problem with the truth? Are your arguments so weak that you have to attack people offering evidence? All I did is cite cut and dry stats about Bills rushing attempts. You have a problem with that?

PTR