If you think the Bills didn't run enough this year

WTF!!! Someone says something that isn't true. I correct it with evidence, and BOOM! I'm an apologist or a ----lover???

Do you have such a problem with the truth? Are your arguments so weak that you have to attack people offering evidence? All I did is cite cut and dry stats about Bills rushing attempts. You have a problem with that?

PTR

sorry promo. Not attacking you. Hope it Didnt come off that way.

I'm just stating that the stats are skewed. It's no different than people saying Fitz sucks based in his okay when his stats say he really wasnt that bad. When looking at stats, people can skew them anyway they want. As I posted already, 3rd and 1 isn't the end of it. It could be. 3 rd and short which was not brought up. It doesn't bring into the argument that regardless of how much we did or didn't give it to Spiller in those situations and the situations that we Didnt but should have. It doesn't bring into account that our yards per attempt were tops in the league, yet they didn't run it as much as the teams that were right with them in YPC. Those same teams that are in the playoffs as we speak.

I'm just saying its really this simple, we had a sub standard passing game but an amazing rushing game and yet we still passed it more than we should have based in our strengths.

Ok I'm done. No more argument on my end. The fact is that Chan is fired and we will be talking about a new coach very soon.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills 13th in rush attempts, 23rd in pass attempts. So perception doesn't match reality.

PTR

13th??!! Interesting. Still, something was missing from the O. I mean from a coordination standpoint. The Fitz thing...I just can't talk about anymore.

Any play that doesn't work is the wrong call.

PTR

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification.

Not all play calls are created equal. But poor execution might make it seem that way.

Some coaches have a knack for dialing up the right play. But bad players or bad execution will negate good play calling.

The downfall of Gailey's tenure at Buffalo was not the way he handled the offense. It was the complete inability of the defense to function effectively with any consistency. A middle-of-the-pack defense would have had the Bills in the playoffs two of his three years here.

One more specific downfall would be the fact that under Gailey, the Bills offense and defense rarely played well during the same game.

A lot of it has to do with the HC being a Coordinator as well, especially when it comes to clock mismanagement or lack of adjustments during the course of the game. As an HC you need to pay attention to field position, time on the clock, etc. As a coordinator, when your unit is off the field you should be looking at the printouts of what the defense was doing against you and make adjustments to either counterattack what isn't working or to exploit vulnerabilities in what they are showing/doing. YOu then get with your players while the other unit is on the field and show them what you are looking for/keying in and what you are going to do if they show that particular look. there is no way someone who is an HC can do the coordinators job effectively (unless you have an All-pro QB or Defensive leader and a great support coaching staff). If you focus too much on being a coordinator, you generally use timeouts at in appropriate times and mismanage aspects of the game that an HC is responsible for, such as sending the FG unit out and burning a TO because you decide to punt later. A great HC is allows coordinators to run the plays while you manage the game.

As others have said, calling for 5 WRs and no backs on 3rd and short with Fitz as a QB and trash WRs is not smart when you have Spiller and FJ. Chan did it, Killdrive did it, and Mularky was an All-pro at it. IIRC Mularky like the HB option on 3rd and goal from the one...

The sad fact is with a better D, maybe Chan wouldn't have gambled so much or called the game in those situations differently. With a true OC, he would have possibly managed games better. I am neither a Chan fan nor a hater; it is disappointing we had to let him go.

Bills 13th in rush attempts, 23rd in pass attempts. So perception doesn't match reality.

PTR

The Bills finished the year with a pass/run breakdown of 54% pass/46% run.

That's not an especially pass-heavy offense for an NFL littered with stars QB such as Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers.

It is not the run-heavy offense that many believe would have better keyed on the Bill's offensive strengths (RB) and disguised their weaknesses (QB, WR).

Examples:

The Houston Texans went to the playoffs last year with a 3rd string rookie QB, a star RB, and a breakdown 46% pass/54% run. This year with Schaub healthy, 52% pass.

The SF 49ers are the 2nd seed in the playoffs this year with 47% pass/53% run and last year playoffs, very similar, 48% pass/52% run.

This year, the Vikes went to playoffs with about 50/50 split; last year they tanked with 53% pass/47% run and 10 games from the same QB (Ponder)

Seattle in Playoffs this year with Wilson as QB 43% pass/57% run; last year (when they went home with the same RB) 53% pass/47% run.

Key points:

1) the proper comparator is the strategy successfully employed by teams that saw winning seasons/playoffs with middle-of-the-pack to poor QB play. Those teams have one thing in common: they run more than they pass.

2) I agree with the posters who point out that the overall split is one thing; another key factor is when/how the run is employed. Chan's empty backfield sets and pass plays on 3rd and less than 3, when we have a kick-ass blocking fullback and a good blocking TE as well as two great RB, drove me ballistic

Edited by Hopeful

A lot of it has to do with the HC being a Coordinator as well, especially when it comes to clock mismanagement or lack of adjustments during the course of the game. As an HC you need to pay attention to field position, time on the clock, etc. As a coordinator, when your unit is off the field you should be looking at the printouts of what the defense was doing against you and make adjustments to either counterattack what isn't working or to exploit vulnerabilities in what they are showing/doing. YOu then get with your players while the other unit is on the field and show them what you are looking for/keying in and what you are going to do if they show that particular look. there is no way someone who is an HC can do the coordinators job effectively (unless you have an All-pro QB or Defensive leader and a great support coaching staff). If you focus too much on being a coordinator, you generally use timeouts at in appropriate times and mismanage aspects of the game that an HC is responsible for, such as sending the FG unit out and burning a TO because you decide to punt later. A great HC is allows coordinators to run the plays while you manage the game.

As others have said, calling for 5 WRs and no backs on 3rd and short with Fitz as a QB and trash WRs is not smart when you have Spiller and FJ. Chan did it, Killdrive did it, and Mularky was an All-pro at it. IIRC Mularky like the HB option on 3rd and goal from the one...

The sad fact is with a better D, maybe Chan wouldn't have gambled so much or called the game in those situations differently. With a true OC, he would have possibly managed games better. I am neither a Chan fan nor a hater; it is disappointing we had to let him go.

^this. You said it much better than I was going to. And it is a shame, we'll never know how things would have gone with a true OC backing Chan.