If I'm a HC candidate and I look at the Bills, what do I see?

eball

Lol. Did you mean pur special teams have been pedestrian?

Pedantic | Define Pedantic at Dictionary.com

dictionary.reference.com/browse/pedantic

overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching. Also, pe·dan·ti·cal. Origin: 1590–1600; pedant + -ic. Related forms. pe·dan·ti·cal·ly, ...

Stop being so pedantic.

And what are "pur special teams?"

Doesn't sound promising.

:)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see some positivity instead of the usual "we suck, Buffalo sucks, & no one waits to be here." For a guy who is married with kids, Buffalo & it's burbs are a great place to raise a family. And as impatient as we can be, it still is a much friendlier environment than most NFL cities.

Honestly, the expectations are so low right now and a guy who transforms Buffalo will go down as a legend. A guy like Chip Kelly could build his type of team and pick his QB with very little pressure. He has a good line and 2 good rbs (one who may even be great). There is a lot to like with this team.

I'll believe the $400m lease break penalty keeps the team from moving to L.A. when i see it.

No one is taking this job and relocating their family, etc etc etc (and anyone who's done it knows how disruptive that is) when other comparable jobs are available. Why? Because as soon as ownership changes (which could be this year, for all we know), you get fired and replaced by the new regime (see Cleveland for the latest example of that -- I'll bet Pat Shurmer is glad he took THAT gig). If the Bills are the only HC job left on the board, fine, you take it if its offered, but not until the well of stable offers is dry. This is just human nature. Bills will watch the stable franchises pick off the best guys and we will get another GaileyWanny combo. Watch it happen. There is no other way it can go.

First, you assume the candidate we would want to hire will get offered all those others job, while ignoring the many positives people have pointed out.. Pretty naive assumption. Second, if RW dies tomorrow, the team cannot be sold and new ownership take over until his estate passes probate, a competiton for the team is held and a group selected, and the NFL approves. Best case this all takes at least two years. You are completely ignoring two very important facts in your assessment that the Bills are an "unstable" franchise. The lease deal esnure there will be no franchise movement for at least 7 years and Mr. Wison has turned over operational control of the franchise to Brandon. Among the many signiifcant changes this portends, that many people are choosing to ignore, is that in the event of Wilson's continuing decline in health and eventual death, there will be stable decision making and operation of the team through the lengthy process of determining the next ownership. I believe this actually one of the prime motivators for Mr. Wilson and his advisors. Finally, any coach coming here would know, as certainly Brandon and Whaley know, that success means not having to worry about change. New ownership does not automatically mean new management. Brandon has been very successful in running the business side. If football results match that success over the next 3 years, everybody keeps their jobs. If not, they don't. Any coach worthy anything would not shrink from that challenge, if they believe the elements are in place or could be soon to succeed.

If I were a coach and evaluating opportunities, I would be intrigued by Buffalo because they are willing to spend money (on me, staff and players) and if I could win there, there would be statues of me in front of City Hall. Oh, and I'd also try to build in some ownership bonus were I to actually win the Superbowl. All that is possible in Buffalo.

If you win in SD or AZ, it's still not main draw. It doesn't determine the identity of the city like it does in Buffalo. Buffalo is a good football town. I'd put KC and Cleveland right there.

Number 1 thing a coach needs is a reasonable chance to be successful in their mind. That means a QB, either having the guy or being willing and having a good plan to go get him. And it means seeing that there is a structure in place to support him, which Buffalo's done better at since 2010.

The Bills aren't a total rebuild and more coaches willing to interview is a sign of improvement. Still, there are 6 other destinations and competition will be fierce for the more in-demand guys. The coaching search will surely demonstrate where the Bills are in the NFL landscape.

The job probably isn't all that attractive to a big name coach like Cowher, but to someone trying to get their first HC job in the NFL or a second gig after a not so successful first gig, no NFL head coaching job is bad. If I were a candidate I would see:

Positives:

-A really good situational game breaking running back in Spiller

-A young yet promising, good but inconsistent and sometimes injury prone offensive line (if they resign Levitre, otherwise this drops down to the Negatives.

-A rabid fan base, who if the team is even slightly successful will be as loud and active as any in the NFL.

-Some young defensive players with alot of potential (Gilmore, Bradham, Dareus)-need to resign Byrd.

-A potentially dominating defensive line, which to this point has underperformed and has been injuryprone.

-have a young speedy receiver (Graham) that might amount to something if the team gets a QB that can get the ball to him downfield, otherwise he is of almost no use.

Negatives:

-Not a single quarterback on the roster from 2012 that I would even want on a roster in 2013. And not much in the draft or free agency to be super excited about.

-A super #2 receiver/good #1 reciever (Johnson), and not alot of proven depth after him.

-Tight End situation with Chandler's injury not good.

-A defense while one of the highest paid in the league, is one of the worst and has been for a few years.

-A 70 something year old GM who hasn't been very impressive and hasn't done real good in 3 drafts now outside of a couple picks.

-2 of the better young talents on the team are about to become free agents if not resigned (Byrd & Levitre).

-A very good 1-2 punch at running back, but Jackson has had health problems and Spiller has also flirted with injuries. Depth at this position isn't good, especially when one of the 1-2 are injured. Choice is gone with Gailey, the only reason he was on the roster to begin with.

-Play in a division with Belichick and the Patriots, and it seems like forever since the Bills have won more then 1 or 2 divisional games in the same season.

-A losing atmosphere around the organization and even bigger problem a losing reputation around the league, which in most cases prevents big name free agents from coming here unless they are severely over paid.

-Probably the most hungry and impatient fanbase (have been patient for way too long) in the NFL with the leagues longest (by 4 years I think) playoffless streak.

good analysis. I think that the Bills job is one of the best openings out there based on the talent on board. Get a qb (Alex Smith or maybe tyler wilson from Arkansas) and we might actually go to the playoffs next year. Coaches and potential coaches want to know if they can win where they are hired, and there is a great case to be made that we are a team that has what it takes to do that.

Number 1 thing a coach needs is a reasonable chance to be successful in their mind. That means a QB, either having the guy or being willing and having a good plan to go get him. And it means seeing that there is a structure in place to support him, which Buffalo's done better at since 2010.

The Bills aren't a total rebuild and more coaches willing to interview is a sign of improvement. Still, there are 6 other destinations and competition will be fierce for the more in-demand guys. The coaching search will surely demonstrate where the Bills are in the NFL landscape.

I agree with this, and that's why I think the Bills job is pretty attractive -- particularly with the removal of Ralph from day-to-day operations. As far as getting the QB, Buffalo could theoretically take two or three of them in the upcoming draft. There are fewer holes to fill (LB) so they have more picks to play with. Any candidate should see the strength in the trenches of this roster, along with some notable skill players, and believe it's not out of the question to win immediately. And I know the age thing is being beaten to death, but if I'm a candidate for the job I love the idea of working with a 40-year old GM and 43-year old President who are on top of innovation and technology. Put me in the category who believes Nix is essentially a glorified scout (and recruiter) at this juncture.

The job probably isn't all that attractive to a big name coach like Cowher, but to someone trying to get their first HC job in the NFL or a second gig after a not so successful first gig, no NFL head coaching job is bad. If I were a candidate I would see:

Positives:

-A really good situational game breaking running back in Spiller

-A young yet promising, good but inconsistent and sometimes injury prone offensive line (if they resign Levitre, otherwise this drops down to the Negatives.

-A rabid fan base, who if the team is even slightly successful will be as loud and active as any in the NFL.

-Some young defensive players with alot of potential (Gilmore, Bradham, Dareus)-need to resign Byrd.

-A potentially dominating defensive line, which to this point has underperformed and has been injuryprone.

-have a young speedy receiver (Graham) that might amount to something if the team gets a QB that can get the ball to him downfield, otherwise he is of almost no use.

Negatives:

-Not a single quarterback on the roster from 2012 that I would even want on a roster in 2013. And not much in the draft or free agency to be super excited about.

-A super #2 receiver/good #1 reciever (Johnson), and not alot of proven depth after him.

-Tight End situation with Chandler's injury not good.

-A defense while one of the highest paid in the league, is one of the worst and has been for a few years.

-A 70 something year old GM who hasn't been very impressive and hasn't done real good in 3 drafts now outside of a couple picks.

-2 of the better young talents on the team are about to become free agents if not resigned (Byrd & Levitre).

-A very good 1-2 punch at running back, but Jackson has had health problems and Spiller has also flirted with injuries. Depth at this position isn't good, especially when one of the 1-2 are injured. Choice is gone with Gailey, the only reason he was on the roster to begin with.

-Play in a division with Belichick and the Patriots, and it seems like forever since the Bills have won more then 1 or 2 divisional games in the same season.

-A losing atmosphere around the organization and even bigger problem a losing reputation around the league, which in most cases prevents big name free agents from coming here unless they are severely over paid.

-Probably the most hungry and impatient fanbase (have been patient for way too long) in the NFL with the leagues longest (by 4 years I think) playoffless streak.

I agree with most of your post, but how can you list Graham ("a young speedy receiver that might amount to something") as a positive and list our 1-2 punch at running back as a negative? :blink:

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention the City itself and media as a negative. More introverted coaches might really like the tame media, but ambitious coaches might see it as a career-limiting environment.

You should not be able to make a statement like this without a link.

really? How many people said no last time? We settled for chan. Not even a guy the Bills were looking at. Chan was recomended to us.

Chip Kelly has three interviews. One with the bills. Horton wants to "blow our socks off" and lovie's top reported choices are Arizona, and buffalo. Hell I wasn't happy about the Chan firing (doesn't fix QB). But now im excited about our options.

I agree with most of your post, but how can you list Graham ("a young speedy receiver that might amount to something") as a positive and list our 1-2 punch at running back as a negative? :blink:

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention the City itself and media as a negative. More introverted coaches might really like the tame media, but ambitious coaches might see it as a career-limiting environment.

I was actually referring to the depth after the 1-2 as a negative, since it seems that 75% of the time one of them two are injured. I didn't list the city, I could have, but if the job, roster, salary is right, not sure the location really matters too much to most coaches, at least it would take a far back seat to winning for me.

Positives:

Roster:

-- Game-breaking RB (Spiller)

-- 1000-yd WR three times running (Stevie)

-- Above-average OL with depth (need to re-sign Levitre)

-- Above-average DL with depth

-- Young, talented secondary (contingent upon re-signing Byrd)

-- 8th overall pick in 2013 Draft

Front Office:

-- Removal of meddlesome owner from day-to-day operations

-- Progressive, forward-thinking 43-year-old President/CEO

-- Organization adding analytics department to assist in player evaluation

-- 40-year-old GM-in-waiting who is highly respected

-- GM recognized as a top scout/talent evaluator

Miscellaneous:

-- Home game atmosphere one of best in league

-- Chance to restore proud franchise to greatness (i.e., can be a hero)

Negatives:

Roster:

-- No "franchise" QB

-- Questionable WR depth

-- Weak LB corps

Front Office:

-- 73-year-old GM still running the show (for how long?)

-- Do you trust Brandon not to meddle in football decisions?

Miscellaneous:

-- Relic of a stadium (what improvements are being made?)

-- Impatient fan base

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno, it doesn't look like a bad gig to me...

after looking at all of this, I have decided to throw my hat in the ring for the buffalo head coaching job. I have a winning record in Madden, and I'm a young prospect with tons of energy. I have just as much nfl hc experience as Doug marrone and chip kelly COMBINED. also, I would be willing to work for a few of anchor bar and mighty taco gift cards. I am also a huge fan of delegation. I am from the Rochester area and would help in the regionalization efforts.get er done buddy. hit me up on facebook

There's four components at least.

1) what do you want in order to take 1 of 32 jobs in the world?

2) what do you see from the team courting you?

3) what are you asking/telling the 4 Bills salesmen?

4) what are the 4 Bills salesman asking/telling you?

Lol. Did you mean pur special teams have been pedestrian?

Pedantic | Define Pedantic at Dictionary.com

dictionary.reference.com/browse/pedantic

overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching. Also, pe·dan·ti·cal. Origin: 1590–1600; pedant + -ic. Related forms. pe·dan·ti·cal·ly, ...

Have you seen Chan lately ?

What it will take to have them come here?

Lots of money

Now Russ has it.

See Russ.

See Russ spend it.

Spend Russ spend.

Russ is happy now.

Watch Buffalo win.

WIn Buffalo.

Win.

See Ralph smile

I kick it old school

Go Bills