Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

Let's get real. This azzwipe reporter apparently doesn't know much.

1) Smith purely a game manager... he can't create anything without a solid to outstanding running game.

2) Why would Alex Smith even come to Buffalo knowing full well they are going to draft his heir apparent on day one of the draft? He's not going to start for more than a year, if that, and then be relegated to #2 status.

3) What's the difference betwen Smith and Fitz. Stronger arm, OK, but not the pocket presence that Fitz has

4) Only when his HC highly micro managed him and the offense was he effective.

5) His team brought in a rookie QB last year to specifically replace him and did exactly that in a little more than a season and one half. Does that tell you anything?

6) He's a career 79.1 rated QB regardles up bumping up his rating to over 90 in 2011 and 100 in 2012. Is it Alex or the system? Remind me again why he lost his job.

7) What exactly is the difference between Smith, Fitz, Grossman, Orton, Kolb, Henne, Stanton? They pretty much all suck equally, and none of them will get you to the playoffs by themselves... they would all unequivocally have to ride on the shoulders of a top three defense at the very least to get to the playoffs.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the speculation kind of amusing when we don't even have a coaching staff at the moment. I have trouble thinking that this "new direction" the bills are taking would involve trading for a QB without the coaching staffs' opinion.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

The answer is directly below.

To borrow an electrical circuit analogy, why do things in series when you can do them in parallel?

However, these decisions/directions for the team do not have to be made in a vacuum.

Do you not think that the topic of QB is coming up in the coaching interviews?

I would imagine Brandon and company are talking to each candidate and saying something like "We are thinking of going hard for Alex Smith. What do you think about that? Can you work with him? How do you like him as a player? Can you build an offense around him?"

And I'm sure other QB names are being mentioned as well, if the Bills think there is someone else who might be attainable and is equally or more attractive.

It all blends together and fits together. Coach, approach to game, QB.

At least it should!

Great post. ^^^^^^

Is Alex Smith even scheduled to be a UFA? If so I wouldnt mind this, but if we have to pony up drafts picks for him i say forget it.

Smith would come here via trade. Obviously, the price dictated by San Fran would be instrumental in assessing whether or not it makes sense.

I wouldn't want to pay dearly for the guy, but I'd pay a solid price.

According to Rotoworld, Smith's 2013 salary of $7.5 million becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster April 1. If Kapernick is truly their QB of the future, they would likely cut Smith if they get no trade offers for him. I suspect someone will pony up a 3d for him.

At $7.5 million due on April 1st, there's a scenario where he could get cut and signed as a free agent or I suppose if the Bills wanted exclusive dibs on him, they could trade for him.

I'm thinking free agency myself.

Hard to say without a coach first. What if the new coach does not like Smith?

The Bills will have a new coach in place months before they have to make a decision on Alex Smith.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Let's get real. This azzwipe reporter apparently doesn't know much.

1) Smith purely a game manager... he can't create anything without a solid to outstanding running game.

2) Why would Alex Smith even come to Buffalo knowing full well they are going to draft his heir apparent on day one of the draft? He's not going to start for more than a year, if that, and then be relegated to #2 status.

3) What's the difference betwen Smith and Fitz. Stronger arm, OK, but not the pocket presence that Fitz has

4) Only when his HC highly micro managed him and the offense was he effective.

5) His team brought in a rookie QB last year to specifically replace him and did exactly that in a little more than a season and one half. Does that tell you anything?

6) He's a career 79.1 rated QB regardles up bumping up his rating to over 90 in 2011 and 100 in 2012. Is it Alex or the system? Remind me again why he lost his job.

7) What exactly is the difference between Smith, Fitz, Grossman, Orton, Kolb, Henne, Stanton? They pretty much all suck equally, and none of them will get you to the playoffs by themselves... they would all unequivocally have to ride on the shoulders of a top three defense at the very least to get to the playoffs.

Regarding your points:

1) Have you noticed we have arguably the best backfield in the NFL? Also, it may take longer than you think to find the real deal QB solution for the long term.

2) Does Smith have a no trade clause? If not, his opinion about being traded to Buffalo is meaningless.

3) The difference between Fitz and Smith? Are you serious? Fitzpatrick is literally not an NFL caliber QB. Smith was doing just fine on an admittedly great team and looked like the kind of guy who could lead the team to a Superbowl victory until he was injured.

4) This is meaningless meta-discourse.

5) Doesn't change the fact that he would immediately greatly improve the Bills in 2013.

6) You are overlooking the most important stats regarding Smith: those he has put up recently.

7) We don't need Smith to get us to the playoffs by himself. We just need an immediate and massive improvement over Fitz, which Smith provides.

Should the bills hire a decent coach like Harbaugh, get the defense working correctly so they are top 10 and good against the run. Build a power running game to complement that stout defense then yea, Alex Smith just might work ^_^

Edited by FeartheLosing

.Don't you first hire a HC, have the HC get a OC, THEN get a QB that said HC/OC wants? Why would anyone sign the QB first unless it's the second coming of P. Manning?

You oughta read the thread before positing a question that has been asked and answered a few times now.

Going back one page should do.

According to Rotoworld, Smith's 2013 salary of $7.5 million becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster April 1. If Kapernick is truly their QB of the future, they would likely cut Smith if they get no trade offers for him. I suspect someone will pony up a 3d for him.

Here is a really good analysis as to why he will probably end up getting cut

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/11/3752556/alex-smith-contract-trade-release-colin-kaepernick

.Don't you first hire a HC, have the HC get a OC, THEN get a QB that said HC/OC wants? Why would anyone sign the QB first unless it's the second coming of P. Manning?

As San Jose Bills Fan asked, why do things in series when you can do them in parallel?

Your sequential, compartmentalized decision making process is not how this is going to work.

Also, the QB is arguably much more important than any head coach.

As I asked above, what would you rather have? Fitzpatrick plus greatest coach of all time, or great QB plus Chan Gailey?

I am not saying Smith is a great QB. But the point remains the same.

If Tom Brady was our QB I could coach the team, and we make the playoffs.

If Alex Smith goes anywhere it will be to Kansas City they have a think for Ex-49ers QB.

Steve DeBerg

Joe Montana

Steve Bono

Elvis Grbac

plus the Chiefs always take other teams QB

Ron Jaworski

Dave Krieg

Rich Gannon

Warren Moon

Trent Green

Damon Haurd

Tyler Thigpen

Matt Cassel

All Started the career with other teams & the last QB they Drafted in the first round of the draft was in 1983, so I think he picked the wrong team

Edited by Shitzy Hater

I'm for this, I just want competition at the position. Luck is the only one w/o it but there's no Luck's in this years draft.

Tannehill beat out Moore.

Wilson beat out Flynn.

Even RG3 had Cousins not that it mattered.

This is the purpose Smith serves to me.

Very well put.

Here is a really good analysis as to why he will probably end up getting cut

http://www.ninersnat...olin-kaepernick

I don't fall for that analysis at all. I'm sure that Harbaugh loves Kap, simply by his actions of playing him. But I would bet anything that Harbaugh doesn't know himself if Kap will be a solid full time starter and franchise QB. Back-up QB for a team that has hopes of winning a SB is a very important roster spot. The 9ers are paying Kap absolute peanuts. If I were them, I would look at it not in terms of whether Smith was worth 7.5 mil, but rather in terms of Kap and Smith together cost us 8.5 mil or whatever, which is very, very low for the QB position. I see little reason to cut him at all, and I see them holding out for a pretty good trade.

One way or the other he won't be a 9er next year. They tried getting manning in the offseason and only went back to smith after that fell thru. This season he was benched. They obviously don't think he's the answer and I'm sure he's sick of them. Bridges burned, time to move on.

Didn't Nix say yesterday that they were drafting somoen, and probably bringing in a FA also?

The only person having a worse New year then Chan has to be Fitz right now....

Really if Fitz is honest with himself, he should be happy no matter what happens. He is a back up qb with a starters contract. Way ahead of the game.