The question that wasn't asked yesterday

I know they would not put people on the spot like this, and paint Ralph in a worse light, but to point out how things might be different now I wonder what decisions were made recently where Russ would have gone one way but was overruled by Ralph or someone else.

I know they would not put people on the spot like this, and paint Ralph in a worse light, but to point out how things might be different now I wonder what decisions were made recently where Russ would have gone one way but was overruled by Ralph or someone else.

Someone posted something about reading between the lines. I think it's fairly obvious without being said that Ralph was a boat anchor to the franchise. Even just getting his okay on something hinders you when you are trying to close a deal.

PTR

I wouldn't be surprised if former players like Thurman, Tasker, and Brown--who were at the PC, helped influence Ralph's decision. No good coach wants to be told by an owner what to do, and Ralph had a history of meddling. I think they got Ralph to take one for the team, and he was wise enough to do so.

Bottom line is we have zero indication that Ralph has made a single decision within the football operation since Buddy Nix became General Manager.

The change isnt really from Ralph to Russ-- Ralph by every indication has been out of it for some time. The change is that the football operation will be headed by Brandon rather than Nix.

Bottom line is we have zero indication that Ralph has made a single decision within the football operation since Buddy Nix became General Manager.

The change isnt really from Ralph to Russ-- Ralph by every indication has been out of it for some time. The change is that the football operation will be headed by Brandon rather than Nix.

Other than a huge press conference announcing that Ralph will no longer be involved in managing the team. Other than that nothing. :doh: When did Ralph announce he was making a decision in the past?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Other than a huge press conference announcing that Ralph will no longer be involved in managing the team. Other than that nothing. :doh: When did Ralph announce he was making a decision in the past?

PTR

Yes, I'm sure Ralph Wilson in an unhealthy state in his Detroit home has been deciding draft picks, coaching hirings and roster cuts for the last three years. Oy vey

Yes, the face to face meeting. The emotional conversation. The press conference. It was all staged to announce nothing has really changed.

PTR

Yea, but that was all just a cover. Come on man, get your tin foil hat on. Brandon just held the press conference to appease the fans and sell tickets.

Yes, the face to face meeting. The emotional conversation. The press conference. It was all staged to announce nothing has really changed.

I don't doubt the meeting took place, I don't doubt it was emotional for Ralph to officially step down. But every indication we've gotten the last three years is that Buddy Nix has been completely in charge of coaching and players.

We have reason to believe Ralph chose Johnson over Flutie, we have reason to believe Ralph wanted that 4th round RB during the Jauron years. We have no similar reports that Ralph has interfered with Nix' GM run in this manner.

Shame on all of you who don't think anything has changed at OBD. Clearly Ralph was making all of the decisions the past 13 years and more importantly the last three years. Nix didn't hire a lame coach like Gailey, Ralph did. Nix doesn't draft running backs in the First Round only to trade them for Fourth Round picks. Nix didn't hitch the team to Fitzpatrick, it was Ralph. That was Ralph. Its all good now since Ralph is stepping out of the way.

Who was it that demanded that the Bills cut Dwan Edwards on the eve of this season, and trade Lee Evans on the eve of last season? Who decided to cut Langston Walker (instead of benching him) on the eve of that season?

I don't know for sure, but my hunch is that it was Littman behind all of these moves.

Those are just the obvious decisions, and probably just the tip of the iceberg - based on the circumstantial evidence that has accumulated over the years, economics have played a role in many short-sighted decisions made over the years.

No I cannot prove it.

But I can hope that it will now change. It won't guarantee a winning season, but it will help.

We'll see soon enough.

Yes, I'm sure Ralph Wilson in an unhealthy state in his Detroit home has been deciding draft picks, coaching hirings and roster cuts for the last three years. Oy vey

Uh yeah, maybe he was. Do you know for sure he wasn't involved? How much effort does it take to pass a message to Buddy or Russ?

PTR

Look the way i see it is, once Wilson dies the team will be sold and the new owner(s) will not retain Russ. My advise to Russ, work quickly.

Brandon would most assuredly be retained. But on the marketing side, where he's done a tremendous job.

Who was it that demanded that the Bills cut Dwan Edwards on the eve of this season, and trade Lee Evans on the eve of last season? Who decided to cut Langston Walker (instead of benching him) on the eve of that season?

I don't know for sure, but my hunch is that it was Littman behind all of these moves.

Those are just the obvious decisions, and probably just the tip of the iceberg - based on the circumstantial evidence that has accumulated over the years, economics have played a role in many short-sighted decisions made over the years.

No I cannot prove it.

But I can hope that it will now change. It won't guarantee a winning season, but it will help.

We'll see soon enough.

Evans and Walker were good moves in retrospect. Edwards prior to being cut, hadn't done much and wasn't making all that much anyway.

That's not what Brandon said at his presser. He specifically said the football operations will be headed by the General Manager Buddy Nix and Buddy will make all football decisions as he has over the past 3 years. I don't think there is any change at OBD, but they'll package it as one and hope they get lucky on a coach.

That's not what Brandon said at his presser. He specifically said the football operations will be headed by the General Manager Buddy Nix and Buddy will make all football decisions as he has over the past 3 years. I don't think there is any change at OBD, but they'll package it as one and hope they get lucky on a coach.

But even if you believe Nix is still the GM, he now answers to Brandon. So for football ops the buck now stops with Brandon. Good or bad, that is at least different.

Hey.....that's sarcasm, isn't it!

But even if you believe Nix is still the GM, he now answers to Brandon. So for football ops the buck now stops with Brandon. Good or bad, that is at least different.

I watched the whole Brandon presser this morning and I recommend everyone do the same. Watch it and let me know if you still feel the same way. The only thing Brandon mentioned adding to the football equation is "layering in" a Bill James sabremetrics element to their scouting and player evaluations. Buddy Nix is the king of the football castle.

Buddy officially answers to Brandon, but really, he answers to the fans. If he doesn't put a good roster together, the Bills will continue their losing ways and Brandon will be pressured to make a change. Then it will be Whaley. That is why Nix will remain the GM and Whaley the assistant. If Nix screws up again, Brandon has the next GM in house. He can say they made a change. So I expect Nix to the the GM for at least 2 more years, unless they further bottom out next year.

Look the way i see it is, once Wilson dies the team will be sold and the new owner(s) will not retain Russ. My advise to Russ, work quickly.

With the job that Brandon has done selling this team to his fans despite their record over the past 13 years, I can see Brandon staying on in a business capacity if he chooses.