Shanahan

thewildrabbit

I can recall last season so many fans stating that they were grateful the Bill DIDN"T hire Mike Shanahan, and were glad the Bills hired Chan Gailey! Still feel that way now?

Shanahan showed the courage of his convictions and traded away the farm to get his "franchise" QB. He also hired a decent DC who knows what he is doing and can actually motivate his players.

The biggest thing is the Redskins aren't just winning because of RG3, like the Colts are with Andrew Luck. They are winning like the Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings & Texans in the regard of building a good defense, hiring the right man to run that defense and building a great running game to support the QB. Shanahan was also smart enough to run the read option offense for his new QB rather then try and stuff the WCO playbook down his throat.

Would it surprise some of you to know that the Redskins are the #1 rushing team in the NFL? Sure RG3 runs a lot. But the current #2 rusher in the NFL is Alfred Morris ....who? Yea thats right, Shanahan did it again with finding a nobody RB and elevating him to a superstar. A 6th round from pick Florida Atlantic just broke the Redskin franchise single season rushing record. His last game he rushed for 33 attempts for 200 yards against the Cowboys while RG3 only passed for 100 yards.

Its a good time to be a Washington Redskin fan again as the "skins" are in the playoffs with their rookie QB. So are the Colts, Seahawks.

The Buffalo Bills probably have the most dynamic RB in the NFL in CJ Spiller but nobody really knows about him because his HC underutilized him for most of the year. Along with starting RB Fred Jackson the Bills had the very best RB tandem in the NFL IMO.

The Bills were 6th in the NFL in rushing this season and could easily have been #1 if they had run more and had Fitz throw less. Just like in this past Jets game and in the Jacksonville game.

The Bills need to hire the right HC and NOT some "maybe" guy. They spent the money to get the very best FA DE in the game, lets hope they do the same for the next Buffalo Bills HC.

Edited by FeartheLosing

The Bills need to hire the right HC and NOT some "maybe" guy. They spent the money to get the very best FA DE in the game, lets hope they do the same for the next Buffalo Bills HC.

Didn't they offer Shanahan $10 million/year and basically any GM duties he wanted? They were willing to pay Shanny, Gruden or Cowher whatever they wanted. The money wasn't the problem then, and it likely isn't now.

Didn't they offer Shanahan $10 million/year and basically any GM duties he wanted? They were willing to pay Shanny, Gruden or Cowher whatever they wanted. The money wasn't the problem then, and it likely isn't now.

That was just a rumor that people decided they wanted to believe.

I was anti-Shanahan (and anti-Holmgren) for the same reason: As they gained prominence and stature in their former jobs, they took over personnel decisions and did a very poor job in that capacity.

As others have pointed out, Shanny has a diamond at quarterback again so it's a bit hard to separate the success between Shanny and RG3.

Also, while Shanny is actually higher up in the Redskins organization, they did bring in an actual General Manager with a good track record in Bruce Allen. So some of my criticism of Shanny in Denver is mitigated by the hiring of a real General Manager in DC.

edit: I was also anti-Cowher and anti-Gruden for the simple reason that I don't believe you give a head coach who has never had it, full authority over all aspects of the football operations.

With only a few exceptions, I don't believe that model works.

It's hard for me to credit Shanny with too much...I mean, he was a Superbowl coach with Elway, then ~ 0.500 without him. Then he was sub-500 with Washington until getting Griffen, and now he's great again.

Not too many coaches in the NFL are good without good QBs. The BILLS have one of the worst defenses I've ever seen but would have been 10-6 with above average QB play.

That tells me you got to have a franchise QB to do anything in this league.

Certainly can't disagree with this, but then we can get into the whole Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson debate....

While I love watching Griffin and think he's a classy kid, I'd like to see how he does in the next year or two. Right now, he's the man, but history has shown me that the league usually adjusts to new successful QBs after a year or so. Even if we look at Cam Newton right now, he had a tough sophomore season...let's see how he adjusts to the league adjusting to him.

Regarding Shanahan, don't forget he had a losing stint with the Raiders, too. His success and reputation was based on the two Superbowls he won with Elway and Terrell Davis. Let's not forget that Elway didn't win until he had a solid running game to back him up.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Good defense? Have you watched any skins games this year before last night?

Skins won a garbage div with a great player and a very good running game but will most likely not go any further then this weekend. Their passing game is not good and will hv tough time vs Seattle this weekend

Obviously Shanahan is better then Gailey

That was just a rumor that people decided they wanted to believe.

If it was only a "rumor that people decided they wanted to believe" then it was a rumor spread by ESPN and NFL Network--- from an 11/22/09 Tim Graham AFC East blog titled Report: Wilson ready to spend $10M:

NFL Network reporter Jason LaCanfora shared what he was hearing about the
' coaching search on "NFL Gameday Morning."

"Bills owner Ralph Wilson is willing to spend upwards of $10 million to land the right person. Mike Shanahan is at the top of their list. They’re going to talk to him first. They also have an interest in Bill Cowher."

http://espn.go.com/b...to-spend-10-mil

Edited by Punch

Did some of you miss the part about "the courage of his convictions" to trade away the farm to get RG3? The Redskins owner also tried to pursue Peyton Manning, but he said no, and probably because the Skins are in the same division as Eli.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/washington-redskins-acquire-no-2-overall-pick-st-louis-rams

Point one. While the bills under Gailey / Nix were spinning their wheels with Fitz at QB, the Redskins went out and got their Franchise guy, and gave up a ton for him.

Point two. The Redskins didn't wait until a franchise QB "fell" to them, like Buddy Nix has been waiting for. They went out and tried several avenues until they got their man.

Point three. Shanahan is noted for running a version of the WCO that relies heavily on the run game. Even winning the SB with Elway the MVP was Terrell Davis. While RG3 is magical, its the running game and a very good defense that is helping them win. Like I said, RG3 only had 100 yards passing against the Cowboys and their RB had 200 yards rushing.... to those of you that think its all about the QB ... 0:)

Point four. Shanahan also didn't try and screw up his QB's head with a complex WCO offense and allowed his QB to run the offense he ran in college.

Point five. The bills could have won more games by giving the ball more to Spiller / Jackson and less to Fitz

Point six. The Bills spent 100 million dollars on a single player in Super Mario. When they face arguably the very best HC in the NFL in Bill Bilichick 2x a season in the AFC East.. The ONLY way to compete against the best is to hire the best.

"The Bills need to hire the right HC and NOT some "maybe" guy. They spent the money to get the very best FA DE in the game, lets hope they do the same for the next Buffalo Bills HC"

Oh yea, this thread was all about I told you so... :lol:

If it was only a "rumor that people decided they wanted to believe" then it was a rumor spread by ESPN and NFL Network--- from an 11/22/09 Tim Graham AFC East blog titled Report: Wilson ready to spend $10M:

NFL Network reporter Jason LaCanfora shared what he was hearing about the
' coaching search on "NFL Gameday Morning."

"Bills owner Ralph Wilson is willing to spend upwards of $10 million to land the right person. Mike Shanahan is at the top of their list. They’re going to talk to him first. They also have an interest in Bill Cowher."

http://espn.go.com/b...to-spend-10-mil

Did you read the comment you posted? At no point does it ever say that they offered 10 million. The only thing going around was that people heard Wilson was 'willing' to spend that much.

Did you read the comment you posted? At no point does it ever say that they offered 10 million. The only thing going around was that people heard Wilson was 'willing' to spend that much.

Yes, I read it. Perhaps they didn't specifically offer $10M to Shanny, but the likes of Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher would not bother meeting with the Bills if they were unwilling to pay them accordingly.