Jonas Jennings should not be re-signed

Don't get me wrong... I like his play... and he is much improved. I would call him a good linemen. However, good O linemen entering their second contract demand WAY to much money. If we re-sign him we will have to Overpay for him! This team can not afford to overpay for anyone! (***cough ... Drew cough***)

We will need to sign a Higher caliber lineman in the offseason to replace JJ.

agreed!

193837[/snapback]

who are you agreeing with??

I don't know who we can bring in to replace Jennings - so resigning him seems most sensible to me (albeit on fairly reasonable terms). If we keep this group together we could build something really good for the next few years...

193826[/snapback]

How do we do that without overpaying because "good O linemen entering their second contract demand WAY to much money"? Get someone entering their third contract? With no first round pick getting a ready to play tackle in the draft seems unlikely. I agree with you, we can't overpay Jonas, but do you get a high caliber lineman without overpaying them?

Whether it be Jennings or someone else, you are going to have to overpay for a left tackle.  So why not go out and get the best one in the League - Walter Jones.  I doubt he's happy in Seattle seeing that he won't sign anything long term there.

193862[/snapback]

We need a leader on this line and Jennings isn't it since he's talked about leaving for a few years now. Goodbye Jonas, hello Walter.

We need a leader on this line and Jennings isn't it since he's talked about leaving for a few years now. Goodbye Jonas, hello Walter.

193872[/snapback]

yeah, right. walter jones has held out 3 years in a row and expects to be the highest paid LT in football. he ain't coming to the bills even if hell were to freeze over. the reason LTs get paid so much is that they're so valuable. also, there is the continuity issue. in pitt in donohoe's glory days, john jackson, a 6th rounder, was great because he was so well integrated into the system and played in it for years. when he left for greener pastures, pitt really couldn't replace him and their fortunes sank. he's a lot like jennings -- a very good player without being a superstar who plays so well in part because of familiarity with the system and continuity.

yeah, right. walter jones has held out 3 years in a row and expects to be the highest paid LT in football. he ain't coming to the bills even if hell were to freeze over. the reason LTs get paid so much is that they're so valuable. also, there is the continuity issue. in pitt in donohoe's glory days, john jackson, a 6th rounder, was great because he was so well integrated into the system and played in it for years. when he left for greener pastures, pitt really couldn't replace him and their fortunes sank. he's a lot like jennings -- a very good player without being a superstar who plays so well in part because of familiarity with the system and continuity.

193884[/snapback]

If you think that Jonas Jennings is not looking for "superstar" money than you have a pie-in-the-sky mentality to player demands.

If you think that Jonas Jennings is not looking for "superstar" money than you have a pie-in-the-sky mentality to player demands.

193890[/snapback]

i think he is looking for "superstar" money, but not as much as jones or pace (or ogden, for that matter). given what i know about LTs -- john fina, anyone?? -- I'd be happy to pay it. the bills are not in bad cap shape at all, and can easily swing it. people who think these guys are easy to replace should watch some giants and tampa bay games. the bills have no successor waiting in the wings. price is strictly a solid backup - nothing more nothing less - who tends to get eaten up by the richard seymours and jason taylors of the world.

I wouldn't be uspet if we re-signed Jonas. He should be our worst case scenario at LT. If we downgrade at LT, our offense will be worse than it was this year, and Drew (who like it or not is probably our starter next year) is set up for failure. So it's gotta be Jonas or better. I'm of the ilk that if I'm going to have to pay $5-6m per year for the sirloin (Jonas), I'll take the filet mignon for $8m per year (Jones).

I wouldn't be uspet if we re-signed Jonas.  He should be our worst case scenario at LT.  If we downgrade at LT, our offense will be worse than it was this year, and Drew (who like it or not is probably our starter next year) is set up for failure.  So it's gotta be Jonas or better.  I'm of the ilk that if I'm going to have to pay $5-6m per year for the sirloin (Jonas), I'll take the filet mignon for $8m per year (Jones).

193919[/snapback]

agreed. the other alternatives are bottom round at best and ground chuck at worst.

We'll see how much it will take to re-sign him and go from there. I wouldn't mind him staying but if their's someone else out there that is proven for the same or a little more amount of money(Which will be a lot) it has to be considered. Does he REALLY want to stay? I think he's more likely to leave than PW. So, if he goes that means we'll need a LT and a LG for next year.

Offensive line should be our main focus in Free Agency. We can complain all we want about the QB situation but we are going to do better than what we have right now unfortunately. Re-sign Pat Williams, re-structure Moulds, trade Henry, draft a bigger back-up RB and another receiver, look into upgrading the kicker, then go to town on the offensive line (we will have close to $10m in cap room for an LT and G).

Don't get me wrong... I like his play... and he is much improved.  I would call him a good linemen.  However, good O linemen entering their second contract demand WAY to much money.  If we re-sign him we will have to Overpay for him!  This team can not afford to overpay for anyone! (***cough ... Drew cough***)

193826[/snapback]

I agree, but we seem to have a history of overpaying people (see, Lindell, Posey, Bledsoe, etc.)

I agree, but we seem to have a history of overpaying people (see, Lindell, Posey, Bledsoe, etc.)

194048[/snapback]

and also getting some bargains....Chris Villarial, Troy Vincent...

FA is another Crapshoot like the Draft...You win some, you lose some...If it

works great, else, move on...as they should do with Bledsoe.

Yeah, what McBride said.

All-pro LTs are rarely available in free agency. If logic holds that Jonas should be let go because he is going to cost too much, what does logic say about his potential replacement?

Marcus Price has been barely adequate in spot duty, and he's the type of bargain tackle that people should expect to see as a Jennings replacement. If anything, the focus should be on getting a quality LG. Notice MW's improvement from the addition of Villareal.

The Bills should make all the efforts to resign Williams & Jennings. Just so that I can make this a Bledsoe related post, it would be nice to see some easing of the cap from him.