Nix Doesn't Deserve To Pick A New Coach

box0life

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes me want him more. Took players that Dungy couldn't win with but he went and won a SB with them. That makes him a great coach and better than Dungy. The other years of decline were due to salary cap issues. Not his fault.

And Dungy took over from Jim Mora and inherited a golden team in Indy and won ONE superbowl with the best QB to have played the game. What is your point.

Chan wasn't "Buddy's Pick". Bill Cowher was Buddy's Pick, so was Shannahan, and several others, but after EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM REJECTED the job, because the previous GMs had done such a terrible job acquiring talent, he turned to CHan, a recommendation from his first option.

Im not defending Chan in any way, he has been a massive disappointment, but to put that hire at Nix's doorstep just isnt fair.

Don't forget that Buddy signed off on Chan hiring Wannstache. Any GM has to give some leverage to his coach, but in "The Buck Stops Here" fashion, Nix owns that from-bad-to-worse move, too, to go along with the fatal-itself move of sticking with Fitz and not even bringing another guy in.

This is a QB league and Nix went with a guy who physically can't throw more than 20 yards and whose accuracy is atrocious. I love Fitz's toughness, his durability, his heart, his intelligence, his quickness, his facile nature. But the man cannot throw a ball and that is Job #1, 2 and 3 for the QB. That Nix refused to do anything about it until about 2 weeks ago means he should get walking papers. If he is that glaringly blind about THE most important position on a team, what's his ignorance of minor areas?

I'm not even on the Whaley wagon, either. This whole thing needs to be scoured, top to bottom.

Looking over the quality of the last 3 years of drafting I have to wonder if the Bills scouting dept is the real problem. Are these men just going thru the motions of doing their jobs for the bills, and then selling the proper results to other teams?

Because they appear to be inept in almost every draft after the 1st round selection. Even then, the first rounders the Bills have chosen the last 3 years have been questionable save Spiller who was Chan's choice after playing against him in college.

The Bills don't just need a HC like Jon Gruden that only knows how to run an elite complex passing offense that only he and another brainiac will know how to execute. This franchise desperately needs someone in charge who knows talent at every position, knows defense, knows offense and is willing to put up with the cranky old codger who owns the team.

To those in love with the idea of hiring Jon Gruden, he is a more expensive Chan Gailey clone. Gruden is clueless about the defense. Once Buc's DC Monte Kiffin went off to help his son coach at USC Gruden's defense was worse then the current Bills. The entire time Gruden was with the Buc's all he did was keep trying to find that "elite" franchise type QB over and over, he never found him. Which therefore leads me to believe Gruden is as lame as Gailey in not knowing QB talent. Eff Jon Gruden

My money would be on Bill Cowher for 8 mill per for a new HC. Cowher won a power struggle with Tom Donahoe while at Pittsburgh and then went on to select Big Ben before Donahoe could draft him for the Bills.

Chan wasn't "Buddy's Pick". Bill Cowher was Buddy's Pick, so was Shannahan, and several others, but after EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM REJECTED the job, because the previous GMs had done such a terrible job acquiring talent, he turned to CHan, a recommendation from his first option.

Im not defending Chan in any way, he has been a massive disappointment, but to put that hire at Nix's doorstep just isnt fair.

On the contrary Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan both interviewed for the HCing job BEFORE Nix was hired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792467

Seriously, what HC in their right mind that was worth a damn, would work for a retired head scout who had never been a GM before. Oh wait, perhaps a guy that had been fired the year before as an OC, and was desperate to be a HC again.

Bill Polian. He has done it with the Bills and Indianapolis. He is available. As long as his son Chris is not allowed to be a part of his tenure. My feeling is Ralph made the biggest mistake of his entire football ownership when he fired Polian. This team has yet to recover from that moronic move. Polian gets fired and quickly turns the Colts into a Super Bowl champion. and the Bills ride a 13 year playoff drought. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas would certainly agree and these guys may be a major part of the future ownership of the Bills.

Amen brother!

He had the choice to retain Perry Fewell as the HC. He had motivated this team far better at the end of the 2009 season than what Chan has done in 3 years. He also could have considered Bobby April for the position.

The thing that gets me is that both GMs and coaches think their hiring of personnel is just a game. We see it over and over, GMs hiring coaches they owe a favor to or coaches that will be "yes men". And we see it in coaches selecting their staff too. The best man available is rarely hired.

Now, Nix has a dilemma on his hands. His steadfast conviction for Chan may actually get him fired. And this is not a scenario unique to the Bills. We see it all around the league. There is one exception though, Bill Belichick. Love him or hate him, there's no screwing around on the staff there. There's no personal favors being handed out there.

I here about this continuity crap, but i don't buy it. Other teams have succeeded the year after they blew things up. Nix picked Gailey and this failed. I don't think he deserves another shot to pick another loser.coach. Donahoe got a chance to pick more than one coach and how did that turn out. You make the pick you own it and deal with the consequences. My feeling is Nix should be fired for his pick of Gailey. Gailey has never been head coach material. Even his Georgia Tech teams were average at best and then he was fired. Nix has to go down with his coach. Time for a new GM and new coach. I am sick of the continuity argument. This argument hasn't work once in the 13 years the Bills have not made the playoffs. Three years is enough time to turn things around. I actually think two years should be enough time to turn things around. Look at Indianapolis as a prime example. They did it in one year with a rookie QB. It was Gailey who is going down in flames with his QB, and Nix should go down with his picked coach, Gailey, into retirement.

The way Nix has screwed up 3 drafts, traded away successful players, hired coaching staffs, lied to fans and media, oh and his "3 year plan", that has failed miserably, he doesn't deserve his job much less the right to choose a new coach. He needs to go and fast.

And Dungy took over from Jim Mora and inherited a golden team in Indy and won ONE superbowl with the best QB to have played the game. What is your point.

And Jon Gruden took over Dungy's team in Tampa Bay the very first year and won a Super Bowl, what is your point?

Bill Polian. He has done it with the Bills and Indianapolis. He is available. As long as his son Chris is not allowed to be a part of his tenure. My feeling is Ralph made the biggest mistake of his entire football ownership when he fired Polian. This team has yet to recover from that moronic move. Polian gets fired and quickly turns the Colts into a Super Bowl champion. and the Bills ride a 13 year playoff drought. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas would certainly agree and these guys may be a major part of the future ownership of the Bills.

I don't know about Polian. What he did in Buffalo was pre-free agency and he has yet to show he can build a team (key word here) since then. And imagine where the Colts would have been if they never selected Payton. Payton came gift-wrapped to them. He was the #1 consensus pick.

I don't know about Polian. What he did in Buffalo was pre-free agency and he has yet to show he can build a team (key word here) since then. And imagine where the Colts would have been if they never selected Payton. Payton came gift-wrapped to them. He was the #1 consensus pick.

Not sure if you were old enough to truly remember the 1998 draft, but Polian caught alot of flack for taking P"E"yton over Ryan Leaf.

Chan wasn't "Buddy's Pick". Bill Cowher was Buddy's Pick, so was Shannahan, and several others, but after EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM REJECTED the job, because the previous GMs had done such a terrible job acquiring talent, he turned to CHan, a recommendation from his first option. Im not defending Chan in any way, he has been a massive disappointment, but to put that hire at Nix's doorstep just isnt fair.

I don't think Nix knew how badly the Bills were thought of in NFL circles until he went looking for a HC. I think much of Chan's hiring had to do with Buffalo remaining, at the time, the last team in the NFL without a HC. There weren't many vacancies that off-season, but candidates wanted nothing to do with the Bills.

Still, you're not going to attract coaches who other teams compete for until the ownership situation is sorted out. Many have said that before, but it bears repeating given that new ownership typically obtains their own people. And when you include the GM job, it's apparent the current and previous hires are all unwanted commodities in the NFL.

Not sure if you were old enough to truly remember the 1998 draft, but Polian caught alot of flack for taking P"E"yton over Ryan Leaf.

You are exaggerating this quite a bit, he certainly did not catch any flack but there were some that liked Leaf better.Although the Colts did win a super bowl (vs the Bears, why couldnt the Bills get a gift like that?) he never was able to build a solid defense through the draft there liked they planned since they used so much of their salary cap on the offensive side of the ball

You are exaggerating this quite a bit, he certainly did not catch any flack but there were some that liked Leaf better.Although the Colts did win a super bowl (vs the Bears, why couldnt the Bills get a gift like that?) he never was able to build a solid defense through the draft there liked they planned since they used so much of their salary cap on the offensive side of the ball

Like I said, you don't truly remember it, because he did catch some flack. And to say he was handed to them is quite the overstatement to try to justify your post.

Absolutely right. Buddy needs to get kicked to the curb on Monday right alongside Chan, Stache and everyone else except the new GM Doug Whaley. Polian is 70.....2 years younger than Buddy. Who gives a crap how old someone is? Can he get the job done? That's all that should matter. Polian should be the new Team President or whatever it is above the GM.

I do, but not for the obvious reason.

This team does nothing but chase yesterdays success, whether it be coaches, players, or schemes. A coach had success 10 years ago? Hire him! A scheme was hot 5 years ago? Adopt it!

You don't get ahead in this league by being a day late. I know it's easier said than done and the success rate is low, but you have to be successfull at identifying and gambling on tomorrows talent, not signing yesterdays.

Edited by finknottle

The way Nix has screwed up 3 drafts, traded away successful players, hired coaching staffs, lied to fans and media, oh and his "3 year plan", that has failed miserably, he doesn't deserve his job much less the right to choose a new coach. He needs to go and fast.

I could not agree more. I am amazed that many posters here are simply assuming that Nix will be around next year. That is a chilling thought, to say the least.

To those in love with the idea of hiring Jon Gruden, he is a more expensive Chan Gailey clone. Gruden is clueless about the defense. Once Buc's DC Monte Kiffin went off to help his son coach at USC Gruden's defense was worse then the current Bills. The entire time Gruden was with the Buc's all he did was keep trying to find that "elite" franchise type QB over and over, he never found him. Which therefore leads me to believe Gruden is as lame as Gailey in not knowing QB talent. Eff Jon Gruden

The bolded is the exact opposite of Gailey, as far from a clone as possible really.

As far as the defense, the Bucs defense was aging and the cap was becoming an issue. The Tampa-2 defense was starting to ebb league-wide, and while a painful decision to start dismantling that defense, it would have happened if it was Allen/Gruden or two Bozo clones.

Polian is not coming back with Ralph on the scene.

Gruden will not come to Buffalo, he will have more luvcrative offers should be decide to come back at all.

Our best case scenario is that Nix "retires" and then Whaley takes over. Then we pray that Whaley blows up the coaching staff and that he is actually qualified for the job.

Life of a Bills fan.

Cheers, Bob