CJ vs. B.Sanders

Who is Yuri?

As Beerball pointed out his numbers are not strong enough to warrant any type of talk about the greatest of all time. When he is year in and year out among the best 3 backs it will change. Also, who cares how many yards CJ gets and how many number of this or that when all that matters is wins.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Beerball pointed out his numbers are not strong enough to warrant any type of talk about the greatest of all time. When he is year in and year out among the best 3 backs it will change. Also, who cares how many yards CJ gets and how many number of this or that when all that matters is wins.

If we are judging by wins, then Sanders wouldn't be that high on the list either. Comparing the 2 is not relevant at this point, CJ is not close yet. The one thing I will say is that I get excited everytime the ball is in Spillers hands. You just never know when he's going to break one off, or bounce to the edge and turn a 2 yard gain into a 12 yarder. That is the same feeling I got watching Sanders.

AP's season has been amazing. Hard to believe he is just a year removed from ACL surgery. I love watching AP just punish defenders, he can go around them, or right through them.

If we are judging by wins, then Sanders wouldn't be that high on the list either. Comparing the 2 is not relevant at this point, CJ is not close yet. The one thing I will say is that I get excited everytime the ball is in Spillers hands. You just never know when he's going to break one off, or bounce to the edge and turn a 2 yard gain into a 12 yarder. That is the same feeling I got watching Sanders.

AP's season has been amazing. Hard to believe he is just a year removed from ACL surgery. I love watching AP just punish defenders, he can go around them, or right through them.

I would rather have us win 10 games then CJ run for 1,500 yards. Ask a Lions fan what it was like to be a fan back in the Barry Sanders era. How many times did his team make the playoffs? How was it Wayne Fontes kept a job?

CJ, to my eye, is the best runner of the football that I have ever seen.

I was born in 1980, for reference, and watch 1-2 football games per week, since I can remember.

CJ makes me laugh, he is so good at cutting and running.

So I already think he is better than Barry.

You haven't seen anything but the Bills games I guess. You should watch the rest of the league and the opposing teams that the Bills play. At least 6 runners better than CJ.

You haven't seen anything but the Bills games I guess. You should watch the rest of the league and the opposing teams that the Bills play. At least 6 runners better than CJ.

Peterson is in his own category. CJ is as good as Marshawn, Charles, and a healthy McCoy. Arian Foster is tremendously overrated.

Peterson is in his own category. CJ is as good as Marshawn, Charles, and a healthy McCoy. Arian Foster is tremendously overrated.

I'd take Marshawn over CJ when speaking of talent. Marshawn could have got third and short and can move people. CJ bounces off them but can just as easily take a 2 yard loss. I may be wrong but I do not remember that with Lynch.

i think pure running and cutting, my original point, though, NOT "being a running back" CJ is so obviously better that I wonder why anyone would argue with me. Have you not seen that he is faster than every defender? That couldn't be said about Barry, who did NOT outrun defenders, and had far more negative runs than CJ.

I don't know about 6 better, not this year anyway. Bill Barnwell (maybe the best football writer going right now) had CJ as his AFC All Pro RB. Behind AP, yes, but after that, maybe only Lynch has had a more impressive season.

I'd take Marshawn over CJ when speaking of talent. Marshawn could have got third and short and can move people. CJ bounces off them but can just as easily take a 2 yard loss. I may be wrong but I do not remember that with Lynch.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/year/2012/seasontype/2

CJ, with 2/3 of the carries, has done more in practically every category than Lynch on a per carry basis. Lynch is certainly better than CJ at certain aspects of the game, such as goal line or third and short situations, but that doesn't make him an appreciably better back.

I am a real old timer, used to watch Jim Brown on Sundays on a B&W TV at my grandmothers house. So, I have seen him, as well as Barry in person at the Ralph. And CJ numberout times. The backs are all GREAT, but run a spectrum. Brown was the best balance of speed and power I ever saw, not moves of a BArry or CJ, But, he was a load up the gut and could also get around the end. Brown retired after 8 years, on top of his game.(actually, so did Barry) Barry was more shifty, had that great jump sideways to make guys miss, but more a speed and moves guy than Brown. CJ leans toward being a moves guy first...likely the fastest of the three in terms of acceleration. But, both Brown and Sanders had great seasons, many years in a row. CJ hasn't done that yet, but he may...we will see. For my money, in todays NFL, Barry is probabily the pick over Brown...different era guys. CJ may get there, but hasn't done the many years yet.

These threads are awesome. My 2 cents: The OP has a man crush on spiller, but I don't think this thread is as bad as some of you make it out to be. From what I gather, the OP is saying that at if you had one game to play and had to choose between cj and Barry to be your RB, he would take cj. As a ball carrier, he's better. He's not saying cj has had a better career and will even have a good career, but that right now Cj is as good if not better than Barry was at his best. While I don't agree with him, I'd take Barry, I don't think it's really THAT far off. I think this kid is special and under the right circumstances, can become one of the best ever. Many people would choose gayle Sayers over Barry. Some would choose OJ over Barry. Lots of people have different views of who's the greatest and what the definition of great is. As of right now, I feel Cj is running the ball at the level I'd associate with greatness. The OP does too. Apparently at a higher level of greatness. I don't agree with him, but I don't feel it's as ridiculous as some think. He's not talking about his career and accomplishments. He's talking about each guy on their best day, who's the better back. That's my take anyway....I might be completely wrong

Edited by NewEra

For comparison spiller is very similar to sanders in size and style and the breakaway play.

Spiller is much better than sanders as a receiver.

Size, I am not sure exactly how to look at this. Barry is 5'7 5/8", 202 lbs. and ran a 4.37. CJ 4.27 seconds on a different 40 yard dash setup, and is just over 3 inches on Spiller and gives up 7 lbs.

Other:

Barry Sanders

5'7" / 5'8" 203 lbs

16 times @ 225lbs.

37 inch thighs

350 lb bench press

600 lb squat (at OSU)

Bench pressed 225 lbs 21 times at NFL combine

4.27 / 4.3 / 4.37 40 yard dash (found various times)

41" and 4' 4" vertical jumps (multiples sources, but he could dunk a basketball standing flat footed.)

CJ:

18 times 225 lbs.

He did not produce any other recorded stats, I guess he declined.

I do not think CJ's leg strength is as strong as Barry Sanders, especially over an entire game.

um. This year.

That's my point although not well made. Once over this will be his first season as best back on the team, AND it didn't start that way....this in his third year. By contrast sanders was all pro 10 consecutive seasons starting with his rookie year.

Spiller has a long way to go to be considered among the best in the league, much less of all time.