Lomas Browns big admission

NoSaint

Boomer Esiason and Cowher just killed Lomas Brown on the CBS pregame. They pretty much publicly called him a low life D-bag for doing this.

mitchell says players are calling him in support and ripping brown too.

i cant imagine what he was thinking. he needs to go on air and say hes had too many concussions and doesnt know what hes saying.

i cant imagine what he was thinking. he needs to go on air and say hes had too many concussions and doesnt know what hes saying.

The negative publicity for Brown has been pretty significant.

I wonder how it might affect Brown's career in broadcasting. There's no question that he's regretting his decision to talk about this.

And you're right. His best defense now is either stupidity or brain damage, neither of which will boost his career or deflect criticism.

Yeah.. What a tool... BUT take a look @ the facts. The Lions were down 24-3 and getting stomped. Yes, they went on to still lose... BUT the score was 30-38. Dave Krieg was for sure better than Mitchell.

The Lions did go on to finish the rest of the season 5-2 and got a WildCard playoff birth (loss to GB none the least in the WC game... BUT beat GB during that 5-2 run)... During that 5-2 season ending run, they beat the Bills 34-30 (in DET)... Krieg went on to finish the season as the DET Qb... Before that hit, DET under Mitchell was 4-5.

Can you blame him? He knew something Fonts didn't!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I know I'm in the extreme minority here but I think I may know what Brown was saying. Mitchell was a d-bag and Brown was trying to teach him that it took all of them to be successful. Mitchell needed the o-line to keep him clean and upright and didn't respect the players performing that task FOR him. At least I hope.

If he did indeed do it to get him hurt and it didn't come out right then I can't condone the behavior. Lomas should have just whooped his a** in practice and been done with it. I just can't imagine he would be dumb enough to mean what he said. Actually I take that back I hope he isn't dumb enough to actually mean what he said.

Yeah.. What a tool... BUT take a look @ the facts. The Lions were down 24-3 and getting stomped. Yes, they went on to still lose... BUT the score was 30-38. Dave Krieg was for sure better than Mitchell.

The Lions did go on to finish the rest of the season 5-2 and got a WildCard playoff birth (loss to GB none the least)... During that 5-2 season ending run, they beat the Bills 34-30 (in DET)... Krieg went on to finish the season as the DET Qb... Before that hit, DET under Mitchell was 4-5.

Can you blame him? He knew something Fonts didn't!

If you have a problem with the starting QB, go talk to the head coach.

Tell him "The team doesn't believe in this guy. The team is having a hard time playing well for him. The team doesn't have faith in this guy. Me and the offensive line (and the offense, whoever) believe that Kreig deserves the chance to play."

You don't take matters into your own hands like that.

How many playoffs did DET make in the last 20 years? The Brown thing, totally lacking in decency, did launch the Lions into the playoffs on the arm of Krieg.

I know I'm in the extreme minority here but I think I may know what Brown was saying. Mitchell was a d-bag and Brown was trying to teach him that it took all of them to be successful. Mitchell needed the o-line to keep him clean and upright and didn't respect the players performing that task FOR him. At least I hope.

If he did indeed do it to get him hurt and it didn't come out right then I can't condone the behavior. Lomas should have just whooped his a** in practice and been done with it. I just can't imagine he would be dumb enough to mean what he said. Actually I take that back I hope he isn't dumb enough to actually mean what he said.

Again. If you have a problem, approach Mitchell.

That's exactly what Mitchell said.

What Brown did was irresponsible and cowardly.

Again. If you have a problem, approach Mitchell.

That's exactly what Mitchell said.

What Brown did was irresponsible and cowardly.

That's what I said... "Lomas should have just whooped his a** in practice and been done with it."

Although it isn't always that easy. I've played on a team where the "star" player wasn't that good and was a complete d-bag. The only thing he had going for him was the coach loved him. It didn't matter that myself (a captain on the team) and others approached our coach. He told us to work it out on our own - so we never passed him the ball and got ourselves in trouble.

Again I need to reiterate that if his intent was to get Mitchell injured I don't and can't condone it. If it was to let him take a good lick and try to get him on the same page as the rest of the team I'm okay with it .

That's what I said... "Lomas should have just whooped his a** in practice and been done with it."

Although it isn't always that easy. I've played on a team where the "star" player wasn't that good and was a complete d-bag. The only thing he had going for him was the coach loved him. It didn't matter that myself (a captain on the team) and others approached our coach. He told us to work it out on our own - so we never passed him the ball and got ourselves in trouble.

Again I need to reiterate that if his intent was to get Mitchell injured I don't and can't condone it. If it was to let him take a good lick and try to get him on the same page as the rest of the team I'm okay with it .

his goal was to have him removed from the game due to injury, and he succeeded in that goal. theres no attitude adjustment, theres no team player issues in the quote - his quote was very specific that mitchell wasnt good, and the coach wasnt benching him fast enough so he was going to get him taken out on his own. hes damn lucky the guy didnt get more seriously hurt.

“We were playing Green Bay in Milwaukee,” Brown said. “We were getting beat, 24-3, at that time and he just stunk up the place. He’s throwing interceptions, just everything. So I looked at Kevin Glover, our All-Pro center and I said, ‘Glove, that is it.’ I said, ‘I’m getting him out the game.’ . . . So I got the gator arms on the guy at the last minute, he got around me, he hit Scott Mitchell, he did something to his finger . . . and he came out the game. [Lions backup quarterback] Dave Krieg came in the game.”

The negative publicity for Brown has been pretty significant.

I wonder how it might affect Brown's career in broadcasting. There's no question that he's regretting his decision to talk about this.

And you're right. His best defense now is either stupidity or brain damage, neither of which will boost his career or deflect criticism.

realistically (and not just killing him for being an idiot) he has three choices from here.

1) pretend that somehow it came out wrong (he left no wiggle room though) so it would have to be by saying "im a moron, sorry guys"

2) i have learned the error of my ways, and it was wrong and i am so sorry (also not great, as he was bragging 20 years later still)

3) go real radical and try to be the guy that tells it like it really is even if you dont want to hear it (essentially double down on the stance that "hey its the nfl, suck it up") which will not be enjoyed by the nfl, and im sure they would make sure any major station would know about the displeasure..... leaving him to move to some local radio show to finish out his career, with occasional bursts of attention.

no matter what, its got to hurt him as an already mediocre commentator. i suppose he could try to just ignore it completely, and hope it fades some.

Edited by NoSaint

If you have a problem with the starting QB, go talk to the head coach.

Tell him "The team doesn't believe in this guy. The team is having a hard time playing well for him. The team doesn't have faith in this guy. Me and the offensive line (and the offense, whoever) believe that Kreig deserves the chance to play."

You don't take matters into your own hands like that.

Wayne Fontes was the coach... He was a "player's coach"... Think he would have scrapped Mitchell?

I am playing devil's advocate here... Brown was a tool... Mitchel got hurt, BUT it was a finger injury... Krieg played lights out and kept the job? Right, if I remember it correctly...

I am playing devil's advocate here... Brown was a tool... Mitchel got hurt, BUT it was a finger injury... Krieg played lights out and kept the job? Right, if I remember it correctly...

I'm not an "end justifies the means" kind of guy.

I used to respect Brown as an underappreciated very good player on a bad team.

My view on him has changed for the worse.

Any chance that the entire Bills defensive unit hates Wannstedt, and that's why they refuse to tackle anyone?

I wish Wannstedt coached on the sidelines during games so that I could see how he interacts with the defense. It would be interesting to see his reactions and his players' reactions when they are playing as bad as we've seen.Maybe the fact he coaches from the booth says alot more about him than we realize.

Wayne Fontes was the coach... He was a "player's coach"... Think he would have scrapped Mitchell?

so.... um... do you think brown expected it to be a broken finger?

so.... um... do you think brown expected it to be a broken finger?

No. Of course not. He is still an unethical douchebag. BUT, just saying... The hit did turn around the season for the Lions once Krieg started playing.

Same thing w/Bledsoe... Maybe Belicheat told one of his linemen to let Lewis unload on drew... ;-) Just joking...

Lomas is going with going two fold with his approach - both apologizing for letting mitchell get hurt, and denying that he wanted mitchell to get hurt. hes only a little disappointed for mitchell calling him out, but he forgives him for doing so though.... and espn is officially using his coworkers to support him in this. It seems to me the new generation at ESPN doesnt have a ton of respect for its viewers intelligence, as a pretty consistent theme in the ESPN threads.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/27/lomas-brown-expresses-some-regret-for-letting-scott-mitchell-get-hurt/

• 1 month later...

Update:

Lomas Brown and Scott Mitchell are now friends:

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ohara/article-1/Lomas-Brown-acknowledges-his-ESPN-comments-regarding-Scott-Mitchell/e7391d1b-78ff-4c9a-af47-a3a7e42513c1

Brown was severely criticized for making the comments. Even Brown agrees that the criticism was warranted.

Brown quickly apologized on ESPN, and played back the interview to hear himself.

"That was the most hurtful part, how I said it," Brown said. "You can hear the excitement in my voice. It was just wrong. I just really made myself sick when I heard myself."

Brown said he called Mitchell to discuss the comments, and said they had a long conversation and parted as friends. He would not have blamed Mitchell if he hadn’t forgiven him, Brown said.

"It was foolish," Brown said. "If that would have been me getting a phone call from me after what I said, I wouldn't have reacted the way Scott reacted," Brown said. "I would have been mad. I wouldn't have been laughing on the phone with me.

"Scott wasn’t like that."