What Kind of QB Prospect Would You Pick?

BisonMan

After looking at some video on glennon....his footwork in the pocket is superb....not extremely mobile but mobile enough....he is not a statue.....he will rise up the boards....I think this may be the guy to bills are targeting.... They targeted tj graham so I'm sure they watch a lot of nc state.

Mel has him as #1 QB right now: 2013 QBs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2013 prospects have a wide range of upside, and downside...To me at least, Geno Smith looks more like the QB's of the future in the NFL...Guys who can pass it REAL well, stretch the field with their arms, then turn around and kill you with their running ability...It makes play calling SO much easier, especially when you have a weapon like CJ Spiller in the same backfield...If I'm going to get my preference, I want a kid like Smith...But there is only one Geno Smith in this Draft...So after that you just have to grab the next best guy and build around his skills... B-)

The so called "QB's of the future" have been around forever, McNabb and Cunningham are two examples and they have never won the Superbowl. Athletic scrambling QB's always get hurt and when they play great defenses they choke. Geno Smith is the wrong answer.

Edited by bisonbrigade

After looking at some video on glennon....his footwork in the pocket is superb....not extremely mobile but mobile enough....he is not a statue.....he will rise up the boards....I think this may be the guy to bills are targeting.... They targeted tj graham so I'm sure they watch a lot of nc state.

I get why Geno Smith is a highly coveted prospect. What I don't get is why guys like Glennon and Wilson are getting so much coverage here and in the "expert" media over EJ Manuel.

EJ Manuel - solidly built, athletic, great arm, accurate

349 attempts

67.9% completions

22 passing TDs

3 rushing TDs,

284 rushing yards

157.6 QB rating

25 total TDs (passing/rushing) with 162 fewer passing attempts than Glennon.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/380849/ej-manuel

Mike Glennon - gangly, unathletic 6-6, great arm, innaccuarate

511 attempts,

57.7% completions

30 passing TDs

2 rushing TDs

-144 rushing yards

131.6 QB rating

32 total TDs (passing/rushing) with 162 more passing attempts than Manuel.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/381967/mike-glennon

Soooooo, why is there all this talk of Glennon who is a QB pocket passing prospect dinosaur, when EJ Manuel has better numbers, body size and physical ability? Please someone explain this to me. Mel Kiper says that Glennon could be the first QB taken in the draft. I mean, I'm looking at the stats and the body types and playing styles and I'm completely mystified. In my book and from initial homework on this year's QBs, I have Geno Smith and EJ Manuel as the two "top ten overall" quality prospects this year at QB. I would not draft any of the other QBs in the first round.

Would you rather see the Bills draft a QB with a lower ceiling and higher floor or one with a higher ceiling and a lower floor?

That is to say, given that the draft is a bit of a crap shoot, should the Bills select a player that appears will be a steady and consistent NFL starter (think Matt Schaub) or one that may have very high potential (ala RGIII) and an equally low floor (ala Vince Young)?

My personal opinion is that teams don't win Super Bowls these days generally without a superstar QB (i.e. top 5ish). That's why I think the Texans won't win one anytime soon but they will be a consistent playoff contender. I do think the Redskins have a better shot even though they are probably several pieces still away from it.

I know almost zip about college QBs this year. Given my premise, which type of QB would you prefer at this point and which college QB best fits your choice?

Given that I would rather have Matt Schaub than RGIII as my QB, this is a very easy question for me. In my eyes, Schaub is at very least a top-7 QB, and knocking on the door of top-5. If the Texans passed more, they would win more games.

The kind of college QB I want should have the following traits:

• High level of throwing accuracy
  • Ability to process large amounts of information very quickly
  • Passion for the game of football, and an all-consuming desire to win
  • Credible arm strength

If a QB was richly endowed with all four of those things, I'd be more than happy to take him in the first round. To use the first overall pick on him, in fact. Other stuff--like a rocket for an arm, or a high degree of mobility--is a nice bonus. But I can live without the bonus stuff; and I'm certainly not going to regard such bonuses as a substitute for anything on the above list.

I like Glennon a lot as well. Only watched 3 NC State games this year, but was very impressed with him in all of them. The FSU game was a fantastic performance by him against a top team under pressure and he got it done. Would have no quarrels with this pick.

The 2013 prospects have a wide range of upside, and downside...To me at least, Geno Smith looks more like the QB's of the future in the NFL...Guys who can pass it REAL well, stretch the field with their arms, then turn around and kill you with their running ability...It makes play calling SO much easier, especially when you have a weapon like CJ Spiller in the same backfield...If I'm going to get my preference, I want a kid like Smith...But there is only one Geno Smith in this Draft...So after that you just have to grab the next best guy and build around his skills... B-)

Like what Geno brings to the table with his all around athletic ability. The guy can run, throw, and throw on the run. With that being said, I think he will be off the board long before we pick and we are not going to move up to get him.

Landry Jones hands down - Is a 4 year starter, is big, has a strong arm, played in a pro-style offense and has set almost all of the NCAA records

Landry Jones is a tough one for me. I have had discussions back and forth with BB on this QB. Some games he is lights out and others I see him making the dumbest decisions costing his team. This year though, at least for the 2nd half of the season, he has looked really good. Solid against ND and calm in leading his team against Ok. State. He has all of the physical tools in the world, but I still wonder about the mental aspects of the game. I think he stands the most to gain or lose out of any QB in the bowl game they face against Johnny Heisman and the Aggies. If he has another good performance, especially with Texas A&M's defense getting after him and they will get pressure on the QB, I might be singing a bit of a different song about this QB.

I also still do not write off Matt Barkley. I've seen too many good performances over the last 4 years from this guy to believe that this one season, a struggle at times for him, has eclipsed all of the other games I have seen. He is not Leinart and he is not Sanchez. I've seen him make every throw, whether it be from the pocket or rolling out. I've seen him march his team down the field in the closing seconds of games to get a victory. I've seen him show leadership on the field and be that calming presence for a team that a QB needs to be. I will be watching him closely in his bowl game against GT as well. To me, he will at least be a better version of Andy Dalton. Neither of the two have absolute rifle arms, but they can be good QB's in the NFL. People clamor for Dalton all day long in hindsight, but now want to compare Barkley to the last two failure QB's from USC. It's not a very fair assessment if you actually compare the three versus general stereotyping because of the school they hail from.

The so called "QB's of the future" have been around forever, McNabb and Cunningham are two examples and they have never won the Superbowl. Athletic scrambling QB's always get hurt and when they play great defenses they choke. Geno Smith is the wrong answer.

Right...

Like John Elway... :doh:

Geno Smith is a Pass 1st QB all the way...He just happens to have the athletic ability to get out of trouble when he needs to...He's a studied kid who lives and breathes Football...If you can't get that from watching him I don't know what to tell you except I strongly disagree... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I get why Geno Smith is a highly coveted prospect. What I don't get is why guys like Glennon and Wilson are getting so much coverage here and in the "expert" media over EJ Manuel.

349 attempts

67.9% completions

22 passing TDs

3 rushing TDs,

284 rushing yards

157.6 QB rating

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/380849/ej-manuel

511 attempts,

57.7% completions

30 passing TDs

2 rushing TDs

-144 rushing yards

131.6 QB rating

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/381967/mike-glennon

Soooooo, why is there all this talk of Glennon who is a QB pocket passing prospect dinosaur, when EJ Manuel has better numbers, body size and physical ability? Please someone explain this to me. Mel Kiper says that Glennon could be the first QB taken in the draft. I mean, I'm looking at the stats and the body types and playing styles and I'm completely mystified. In my book and from initial homework on this year's QBs, I have Geno Smith and EJ Manuel as the two "top ten overall" quality prospects this year at QB. I would not draft any of the other QBs in the first round.

College stats don't tell you much. Watching the two Glennon looks a lot more impressive. Manuel has a much better supporting cast as well.

College stats don't tell you much. Watching the two Glennon looks a lot more impressive. Manuel has a much better supporting cast as well.

Other than stats, what else do you have to go by? I seriously don't see any area where Glennon is better that Manuel.

If Manuel is a very good QB with a great RB by his side, we have that with Spiller don't we?

I hope that Glennon is a fast riser, so much so that KC takes Glennon #1 and the Bills can somehow trade up a few spots for Geno Smith. I'd love for the Bills to be able to draft him.

1. Has to have a brain.

2. Must NOT have shown any signs of being NON-clutch.

3. Must have good pocket presence and some mobility. Not necessarily RGIII mobility, but can NOT be a statue.

4. Must be able to make plays when things break down.

5. Decent-to-above average arm strength.

6. Decent-to-above average accuracy.

ETA: Forgot

1a. Must possess favorable leadership traits.

The intangibles are still the most important of all.

Edited by Rico

Other than stats, what else do you have to go by? I seriously don't see any area where Glennon is better that Manuel.

If Manuel is a very good QB with a great RB by his side, we have that with Spiller don't we?

I hope that Glennon is a fast riser, so much so that KC takes Glennon #1 and the Bills can somehow trade up a few spots for Geno Smith. I'd love for the Bills to be able to draft him.

I look to their poise in the pocket, head movement surveying the field, velocity and touch, and ball placement regardless of what the receiver does with it.

I honestly would rather be hung by my toenails than stick with Fitz to do anything other than hold a clipboard...He's not good enough, he never was, and he never will be...No Fitz...Please for the love of all things good...No Fitz in 2013...I'll take my lumps with any Rookie...And I mean ANY Rookie over Fitz... B-)

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

349 attempts

67.9% completions

22 passing TDs

3 rushing TDs,

284 rushing yards

157.6 QB rating

http://espn.go.com/c...80849/ej-manuel

511 attempts,

57.7% completions

30 passing TDs

2 rushing TDs

-144 rushing yards

131.6 QB rating

http://espn.go.com/c...67/mike-glennon

You're crazy man. Just watch them both in actual games. EJ Manuel does not look like an NFL QB to me...he just doesn't. Glennon looks very Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan-ish which isn't a bad thing at all. He's got the arm, the size and enough elusiveness in the pocket to side step trouble.

I still say the Bills need to draft 2 QB's though... in order to find one.

Glennon just seems like he will look great in workouts but it might not translate fully to the field.

G.Smith needs to prove he can play in cold and windy weather. Dec 29 is big.

T.Wilson just seems inaccurate and reminds me of Fitz.

Barkley might not have a strong enough arm for Buffalo.

How about Aaron Murray? He's not perfect because of his size but he's got a quick release, strong arm and is a leader. He's won a lot of games in the best conference at his level and broken a lot of passing records throwing to a lot of non NFL talent that are being covered by NFL level talent. He lost Cordy Glenn and Ben Jones this year and still had a great season in 2012. He could come in and possibly play right away...and maybe win some games.

You're crazy man. Just watch them both in actual games. EJ Manuel does not look like an NFL QB to me...he just doesn't. Glennon looks very Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan-ish which isn't a bad thing at all. He's got the arm, the size and enough elusiveness in the pocket to side step trouble.

I still say the Bills need to draft 2 QB's though... in order to find one.

I agree about Manuel...He may wow some with his size and athletic ability, which are both great...But he's wildly inaccurate at times and just does not come off as too cerebral with his play...He needs a TON of work...He's no where near the QB Glennon is right now, and he played with twice the amount of talent Glennon did in College... B-)

The kind of QB I'd like to see the Bills draft is one that after being drafted by the Bills and later introduce to the media, steps up to the mic and says...

"I hate losing, I won't tolerate it. I know this organization has been horrendouos over the past decade. I'm committed to winning 200% and the front office & coaches better be to. And, if the front office has a problem with me saying that, they can trade me right now... I'd rather be Eli Manning than Phillip Rivers".