Stephon Gilmore is becomming a shutdown corner in Buffalo

Donald Duck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And cue the unmitigated hate by people who don't know the scale to judge a rookie DB on in 5...4...3...2....1

Let me sum up the naysayers before they even get here:

HE GETS PENALIZED

HE GETS BEAT SOMETIMES

HE HAS DREADLOCKS

HE WAS A FIRST ROUND CB

I just don't trust Damond's evaluations. Seems like a nice enough guy but I can't say I've seen him get a single one right.

Talbot helps promote small school athletes.

in my opinion every player Damond helps land a gig in the NFL is getting it right.

Not every player goes on to become a pro bowler.

Talbot helps promote small school athletes.

in my opinion every player Damond helps land a gig in the NFL is getting it right.

Not every player goes on to become a pro bowler.

Unfortunately he compares every player to hall of famers. It's a fantastic idea profiling small schoolers but I think poorly executed.

Also shall we reference the "are Gilmore and Williams the best cb duo in the league"

If he wants cred he needs to say these are strengths and these are weaknesses and give a reasonable guess where they will land instead of saying the 138th rated receiver from east South Carolina community college at charleston online satellite campus has the hands of Jerry rice, the speed of randy moss and the jumping ability of Larry fitz and the character of tebow while running a 4.6 with 2 arrests keeping out of major programs.

It just doesn't work when I want to actually get an honest read on a player. So when he predictably goes with the Gilmore is a shutdown corner route.... I just hear "I love every player to no end"

Edited by NoSaint

Unfortunately he compares every player to hall of famers. It's a fantastic idea profiling small schoolers but I think poorly executed.

Also shall we reference the "are Gilmore and Williams the best cb duo in the league"

If he wants cred he needs to say these are strengths and these are weaknesses and give a reasonable guess where they will land instead of saying the 138th rated receiver from east South Carolina community college at charleston online satellite campus has the hands of Jerry rice, the speed of randy moss and the jumping ability of Larry fitz and the character of tebow while running a 4.6 with 2 arrests keeping out of major programs.

It just doesn't work when I want to actually get an honest read on a player. So when he predictably goes with the Gilmore is a shutdown corner route.... I just hear "I love every player to no end"

mellow out with your BS how about it.

Great article Damond, Happy Holidays man :thumbsup:

Steven Gilmore is becoming a shutdown corner in Buffallo, by Damond Talbot

http://nomorelinks....ner-in-buffalo/

Good read, great draft pick :thumbsup:

He's good for atleast a couple of penalties and blown assignements a game right now. He is also "picked on" by QB's every week. Not what I call a shutdown corner. Becoming one...not yet....he still has a lot of game to work on.

As a 1st round pick I have more hope for him than what I ever had for McKelvin. Gilmore will be a servicable CB in this league.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

mellow out with your BS how about it.

Great article Damond, Happy Holidays man :thumbsup:

My post was at most slightly exaggerated. He loves to write the positivity, which is cool....I'd rather that then constant negativity.... But makes it hard to get excited about pieces like this. As I said, weeks before Williams was rated the worst in the league he was pushing the next great pair angle. Finding the counter balance will help his articles greatly and if he wants to push hits for his articles on here I think it's fair to evaluate these as professional articles and not just message board posts. Once the link is there readers put a certain credibility and if i don't think it's credible I think it's fair to provide that, even if he's a fellow fan and seemingly all around good guy. I like his goal but think he needs to be more objective and less excited fan if he's going to link articles.

I know your reading Damond and I'm sorry if it was overly blunt. I like catching the names you share to look at more, and love the enthusiasm but have a hard time getting amped up off some of it still.

Edited by NoSaint

My post was at most slightly exaggerated. He loves to write the positivity, which is cool....I'd rather that then constant negativity.... But makes it hard to get excited about pieces like this. As I said, weeks before Williams was rated the worst in the league he was pushing the next great pair angle. Finding the counter balance will help his articles greatly and if he wants to push hits for his articles on here I think it's fair to evaluate these as professional articles and not just message board posts. Once the link is there readers put a certain credibility and if i don't think it's credible I think it's fair to provide that, even if he's a fellow fan and seemingly all around good guy. I like his goal but think he needs to be more objective and less excited fan if he's going to link articles.

What is it about poorly written, poorly conceived, fluff pieces absent of any true insight or analysis that doesn't excite you?

I know your reading Damond and I'm sorry if it was overly blunt. I like catching the names you share to look at more, and love the enthusiasm but have a hard time getting amped up off some of it still.

nicer way of putting it, thanks,

nicer way of putting it, thanks,

No prob - here's an example from this article: Blackmon had 1 catch in 10 targets, that should tell you something

But it doesn't. How many snaps was Gilmore on Blackmon? How many of those targets did he cover him on? Were the 9 misses great coverage or bad throws? Drops? Did he get help? How much? Do we not mention chad henne was at qb to go along with the fact that it was a good WR? Do we mention that blackmons only averaging 3.5 catches a game? That it was his 3rd time getting 1 catch and less than 10 yards? And thats not including being blanked once (so, 4 games under 10 yards out if 13 starts)? Or that espn has him down for 6 targets that game?didnt Gilmore pick up a penalty giving them a third down conversion that game (I'm not 100% sure, but i think so and it'd be a big part of the Gilmore rookie season story)?

Same could mostly apply with Arizona.

Just makes it real fluffy and super positive and leaves me still having to research to find out if I buy the hypothesis he's making.

Edited by NoSaint

I just don't see anything special in Gilmore. Solid corner and yes I know a rookie and better then other highly drafted corners by this team but I don't see what others do and i certainly don't see a shut down corner.

I don't get why he is always turning around when the receiver makes his cut...doesn't make sense but he is always doing it

Edited by Max997

I'm not sure what I like better ... When I see a verbatim transcript of a WGR interview with Chan Gailey that has no credit given to WGR (but has a big ol' by line for DT), or the blatantly obvious, poorly written nature of the articles. Oh wait, I know .... It's when the author comes into the shoutbox and shamelessly begs anyone there to go read his stuff. Yes. That is it.

Question: did anyone ever see Graham do that crap? Does anyone ever see JW do that crap? Answer: No.

Edited by gugny

Evan Silva from Rotoworld has been putting a few good tweets out about Gilmore. Said he has definitely been the best rookie CB this year.

Best 5 rookie CBs this season, for my $$$: 1) Stephon Gilmore 2) Casey Hayward 3) Morris Claiborne 4) Janoris Jenkins 5) Alfonzo Dennard.

Evan Silva@evansilva

Opposing top WR stats vs Steph Gilmore last 5 gms: B. Hartline 4-49, B. Lloyd 5-45, R. Wayne 8-102, J. Blackmon 1-9, C. Givens 3-25. No TDs.

Evan Silva from Rotoworld has been putting a few good tweets out about Gilmore. Said he has definitely been the best rookie CB this year.

Best 5 rookie CBs this season, for my $$$: 1) Stephon Gilmore 2) Casey Hayward 3) Morris Claiborne 4) Janoris Jenkins 5) Alfonzo Dennard.

Evan Silva@evansilva

Opposing top WR stats vs Steph Gilmore last 5 gms: B. Hartline 4-49, B. Lloyd 5-45, R. Wayne 8-102, J. Blackmon 1-9, C. Givens 3-25. No TDs.

Those stats would be really meaningful if he followed the number 1 around the field playing straight man on him but.... From what I've seen, and I haven't gotten big into the last few games (it's been great for my blood pressure!) but we play zone a decent amount, we don't assign players specifically, and without context the #1 WR stat linw reflects well on our team as opposed to one player because of that.

I think he has a lot of potential though.

Edited by NoSaint