Cowboys DT arrested: Intoxicated Manslaughter

http://twitter.com/m...8183425/photo/1

Dallas Cowboys Defensive Tackle Josh Brent was arrested this morning after crashing his car at a high rate of speed. A teammate from the Cowboys (and teammate at the University of Illinois) Jerry Brown was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.rantsport...n-manslaughter/

Brown was a Linebacker on the practice squad.

Edited by Mike In Illinois

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nfl has been incredibly lucky not to have more of these - even though between little, and stallworth, they aren't untouched.

For the volume of DUI arrests, coupled with the volume that get off due to celeb status, you'd think we'd see more accidents than we have.

All around, sad.

Edited by NoSaint

How do pro athletes get blitz faced & fail to have a DD or taxi? Its ridiculous.

Well, they get free drivers to avoid this. Which makes it extra ridiculous.

But I haven't seen what he blew - I'd be a little more sympathetic if he were right at .08 instead of .24

Neither ok, but different.

I saw this and honestly, other than feeling bad for the deceased was totally underwhelmed. Over the years sports, and in particular the NFL, has become this larger than life entity that people obsess over and glamorize and I've gotten to the point where I ignore players and just watched the laundry running around and rooting for that. It's hard, and this might be cold, to relate to or feel anything for a culture of spoiled, over-privledged, arrogant children who think they're above the law and heroes, who've got the world by the nuts, act like idiots, probably couldn't pass a 10th grade math exam, got free rides to school great high school scholars struggle to get admitted to because they're so competitve and yet are millionaires. What's the longest streak there's been on profootballtalk between arrests in the NFL? Less than a 100 days if I recall. I've worked as a professional for 15 years and have never had a coworkers arrest, killed in a DWI, commit siucide, kill his girlfriend, act like an ahole on a place, etc. Seriously, what is wrong with this league and these players? I'm not stereotyping them all, but rather asking a legit question. Where else do you see an arrest rate that high for a profession where the average salary is over $1M. So when you don't see one, the question is legit. Further, what other SPORT has such an issue. None. It's not a racial issue, other leagues like the NBA are predominantly blank with not nearly the issues. So what the f is wrong with this league, seriously. Two murders in one week.

Last week a guy kills his girlfriend and himself and not only is that horrific, the loser was passed out in his car at 3 a.m. that day in front of another girlfriend's house... while his mother is home watching his 3-month old child. Then he apparently comes home and goes bonkers on HER for being out late, while he's shacked up at some other chick's place. What world was that guy living in? Apparently one where you get found passed out behind the wheel at 3 am in a running $200,000 car by three cops who conviently look the other way that you're under the influence. They throw him in jail like they would to you and I, his girlfriend is still alive.

I guess my point, the culture of the NFL continues to accept these morons, their attitudes, their transgressions all in the name of money. Somehow I'm supposed to feel bad when this happens or reflect on it with some sort of empathy? Nope.

And go figure, this guy was on the Cowboys with a DUI in college. Win at all costs. So unlike Jerry "Plastic Face' Jones to hire degenerates all in the name of greed and money. Maybe Goodell, Jones and Kraft should worry about cleaning up this mess... the arrests, the player health, the quality of the sport, and less so on world domination. Morons.

Lord.... Getting harder to feel bad - early report i saw was that Jerry Brown was a passenger during Brent's first DUI. Sounds like a pair that made bad choices together for awhile without learning from them.

Edited by NoSaint

How does anyone get blitz faced & fail to have a DD or taxi? Its ridiculous.

its hard for me to judge people. Money doesn't buy common sense. I'm sure many posters here without DUI's just haven't been caught. It's sad, and inexcusable, but unless we want to make alcohol illegal again we will keep hearing about this kinda stuff.

If Jim Kelly really took limos out to get drunk, than I'm proud of him. The only real way to prevent drunk driving, is to have a plan in place to get home already. If its 3:30 am, and your drunk, your not going to do the right thing.

As a matter of fact, I tried to drive drunk once. Two of my friends beat my azz, took my keys, and tossed me in the shower after I passed out. Best friends I have.

I saw this and honestly, other than feeling bad for the deceased was totally underwhelmed. Over the years sports, and in particular the NFL, has become this larger than life entity that people obsess over and glamorize and I've gotten to the point where I ignore players and just watched the laundry running around and rooting for that. It's hard, and this might be cold, to relate to or feel anything for a culture of spoiled, over-privledged, arrogant children who think they're above the law and heroes, who've got the world by the nuts, act like idiots, probably couldn't pass a 10th grade math exam, got free rides to school great high school scholars struggle to get admitted to because they're so competitve and yet are millionaires. What's the longest streak there's been on profootballtalk between arrests in the NFL? Less than a 100 days if I recall. I've worked as a professional for 15 years and have never had a coworkers arrest, killed in a DWI, commit siucide, kill his girlfriend, act like an ahole on a place, etc. Seriously, what is wrong with this league and these players? I'm not stereotyping them all, but rather asking a legit question. Where else do you see an arrest rate that high for a profession where the average salary is over $1M. So when you don't see one, the question is legit. Further, what other SPORT has such an issue. None. It's not a racial issue, other leagues like the NBA are predominantly blank with not nearly the issues. So what the f is wrong with this league, seriously. Two murders in one week.

Last week a guy kills his girlfriend and himself and not only is that horrific, the loser was passed out in his car at 3 a.m. that day in front of another girlfriend's house... while his mother is home watching his 3-month old child. Then he apparently comes home and goes bonkers on HER for being out late, while he's shacked up at some other chick's place. What world was that guy living in? Apparently one where you get found passed out behind the wheel at 3 am in a running $200,000 car by three cops who conviently look the other way that you're under the influence. They throw him in jail like they would to you and I, his girlfriend is still alive.

I guess my point, the culture of the NFL continues to accept these morons, their attitudes, their transgressions all in the name of money. Somehow I'm supposed to feel bad when this happens or reflect on it with some sort of empathy? Nope.

And go figure, this guy was on the Cowboys with a DUI in college. Win at all costs. So unlike Jerry "Plastic Face' Jones to hire degenerates all in the name of greed and money. Maybe Goodell, Jones and Kraft should worry about cleaning up this mess... the arrests, the player health, the quality of the sport, and less so on world domination. Morons.

I find it difficult to argue your logic here.

One issue you need to remember - an nfl roster has 61 guys any given week plus a lot more down time. Compare that to 12 in the nba playing 4 games a week.... Different beasts.

I'll probably get killed for this post, but here goes.

I haven't driven after drinking in about 8 years. Still think about how lucky I am to not have done anything that I would have to live with the rest of my life - and in turn ruining another family's lives. That's said, when I did think I was "invincible" (see: I was a !@#$ing idiot) I never, ever went over the speed limit. I knew I had been drinking, so, as much as I could I would obey the law to the best of my idiotic ability.

I just cannot understand why anyone would ever drink and drive and then travel, as is being reported here, "at a high rate of speed."

That's all I got on this one. Tragedy that happens all too often. I guess this could turn political in that the actual fine/punishment for a "first" DUI is absurdly light, but I'll leave that to the PPP folks.

Thoughts out to the deceased.