Cowboys DT arrested: Intoxicated Manslaughter

I don't know if you guys read the linked article.

If not I should also add that the woman who came upon the scene said that the deceased was calling out for help and that the survivor was disregarding his calls.

Just weird considering these guys were bosom buddies from college and maintained their close friendship as NFL players.

I think the extreme-ness of what he was ignoring is what leads me most to say he was a bit paralyzed by the circumstance.

Him dying made his own situation far worse.

Morally/ethically and legally he took such an unreasonable approach that I hope it wasn't just "screw that dying guy" and was just his body/brain shutting down.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.18 is the magic number brent hit. That's certainly not "had 2-3 and thought i was still legal.

Two points.

That's a pretty high BAL although different people function differently at the same blood alcohol level.

Also some people act differently than others when intoxicated.

As a person who admittedly had lots of practice driving while intoxicated in my younger days, I would always give myself a lecture before firing the ignition. I would drive more slowly, try to be more alert, and generally be careful. I'd remind myself to not be in a hurry and to not race idiots.

Conversely, some people drive more aggressively when they're intoxicated.

Two points.

That's a pretty high BAL although different people function differently at the same blood alcohol level.

As a person who admittedly had lots of practice driving while intoxicated in my younger days, I would always give myself a lecture before firing the ignition. I would drive more slowly, try to be more alert, and generally be careful. I'd remind myself to not be in a hurry and to not race idiots.

His "high rate of speed" isn't a good thing. Dudes getting serious jail time. He's batting 1.000 on things that'll kill him in front of a jury.

And that's a common justification for "it wasn't as dumb or reckless for me" but it's still pretty lame in the end.

His "high rate of speed" isn't a good thing. Dudes getting serious jail time. He's batting 1.000 on things that'll kill him in front of a jury.

And that's a common justification for "it wasn't as dumb or reckless for me" but it's still pretty lame in the end.

I have no idea how fast he was traveling although I seem to remember reading that the car flipped at least once.

So it looks like he got fairly buzzed and started driving recklessly, which is idiot behavior.

Two points.

My only theory that would somewhat explain it is that he was so guilt-ridden and ashamed at what happened that he couldn't face his best buddy.

He lacked the moral courage.

From some of the reports I've heard, Brent was traveling at speeds in excess of 100 mph when he flipped and rolled his car a dozen times. I think, well hope, that Brent was essentially shell shocked given the trauma of the accident and his intoxication, and could not fully comprehend the situation.

I have no idea how fast he was traveling although I seem to remember reading that the car flipped at least once.

So it looks like he got fairly buzzed and started driving recklessly, which is idiot behavior.

Lets not even give that much credit. The guy was straight drunk, not fairly buzzed. No euphemisms on this one.

Heatley was not drunk. He passed his field sobriety tests. In his case, it was a young man driving recklessly in his new toy (brand new Ferrari) that caused the accident.

If Heatley was sober, that's even worse. According to wikipedia, Heatley got three-years' PROBATION, He also was ordered to give 150 speeches on the dangers of speeding, and pay $25,000 to Fulton County for the cost of investigating the crash. I'm dumbfounded -- that's what a human life is worth in Georgia? An athlete kills someone because he's a stupid !@#$ and he gets a slap on the wrist. You or I would get stuck in the butt-!@#$ing ward of the county jail.

This fat jerkoff on the Cowboys will probably receive taxpayer-funded psychological treatment to take care of his trauma. I want to see athletes get treated like the rest of us.

Check out this idiot: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/sports/baseball/ex-pitcher-matt-bush-faces-prison.html?_r=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Bush_(baseball)

According to witnesses, a drunken Bush beat up a high school lacrosse player with a golf club while screaming, "I'm Matt ###ing Bush!"
Sound familiar.

And finally, the little brat crying:

They put him on non football injury IR. WTF? He's going to jail.

not to get into a fresh CBA debate with you - is it something to do with letting cases play out if there isnt a distinct pattern(ala Big Ben)?

i know stallworth was offseason so they got to let him plead guilty before punishment. situations can be a bit sticky i think with in season arrests and punishment, and the non injury IR mightve just been the easiest designation negotiated between him, the nflpa, the team, the league etc...