Ron brooks

BeastMode54

I thought Brooks' play was pretty horrible for the majority of the game, but seemed to get a bit better at the end. Also, he ALWAYS had his back to the ball and never seemed to know when his receiver was about to make a play on a pass. I think the poor weather had more to do with the decent pass completion/yards stats than did Henne's play or ability.

However, thats not why I'm replying. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a clean game/sportsmanship kind of guy, but... when Jags WR shorts split the defenders (to include Brooks) and made the TD grab, Brooks was shaken up on the play. He stayed on the ground holding his arm having taken a shot. Shorts got up having just scored (with little to no celebration) and when he saw Brooks down holding his arm, he went over and showed obvious concern/consideration for the downed Bill.

Fast forward to when Brooks put a (deemed illegal) helmet-to-helmet hit on Shorts later in the game, in which Shorts stayed down and actually left the game, Brooks got up celebrating like he was the next coming of Ronnie Lott - with no consideration for the injured Jag, who I thought was knocked out.

I'm not saying that he should have checked on Shorts or did anything different, I just think for the type of game he was having and considering he was just beat for a TD a bit before that, it was maybe a bit un-necessary. My $0.02

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tracked Ron Brooks while watching shortcuts today. The Jaguars went after him a whopping 18 times. He gave up 7 catches and had one PI penalty and an illegal use of hands penalty. Two passes defensed.

Talk about your on the job training! Holy cow! 18 targets!

Counting the penalties, he was beat 50% of the time. Not good, but not horrible either. The kid looks like he belongs out there.

Thank you for that!!

He was drafted in the fourth round starting his first game after being injured in his rookie year.

Those numbers are promising if he can be coached up. The one penalty, not sure if it was the PI or illegal use of hands, can be corrected easily. As he learns the game and positioning of his body he should get much better. We have to also remember he is adjusting to the speed of the NFL. And how these caliber of players are fast from the first play to the last play. I was encouraged by what i saw today.

I thought Brooks' play was pretty horrible for the majority of the game, but seemed to get a bit better at the end. Also, he ALWAYS had his back to the ball and never seemed to know when his receiver was about to make a play on a pass. I think the poor weather had more to do with the decent pass completion/yards stats than did Henne's play or ability.

However, thats not why I'm replying. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a clean game/sportsmanship kind of guy, but... when Jags WR shorts split the defenders (to include Brooks) and made the TD grab, Brooks was shaken up on the play. He stayed on the ground holding his arm having taken a shot. Shorts got up having just scored (with little to no celebration) and when he saw Brooks down holding his arm, he went over and showed obvious concern/consideration for the downed Bill.

Fast forward to when Brooks put a (deemed illegal) helmet-to-helmet hit on Shorts later in the game, in which Shorts stayed down and actually left the game, Brooks got up celebrating like he was the next coming of Ronnie Lott - with no consideration for the injured Jag, who I thought was knocked out.

I'm not saying that he should have checked on Shorts or did anything different, I just think for the type of game he was having and considering he was just beat for a TD a bit before that, it was maybe a bit un-necessary. My $0.02

Wow. Didnt notice all that. Obviously I remember him down for a little but hit wasn't aware that happened. Now, as a football player, I'd like to have my team show respect and not be too flashy and all but at the end of the day, Wins counts for a lot more.

If what you is true however, it was a dick move.

Really?

He was terrible today.

He got beat several times and never looked back for the ball. In a closer game, that stupid personal foul could have cost us a win.

The only thing that saved his butt was that Henne sucks.

Actually I thought he was pretty good. Since the beginning of the season, our DB's have been allowing receivers to catch the ball. Except maybe Gilmore. Sunday, Brooks broke up at least 2 passes.

However, I agree, he has got to learn to turn around and look for the ball. That's why he was burnt a few times. But one of those plays on the sidelines, he was with the receiver the whole time. Didn't get faked out (unlike Aaron WIlliams). Dude is quick and fast.

For his first start I thought he played well. Young CBs are gonna get picked on and burnt. It's a given.

However, Henne, Shorts, and Blackmon and Marcedes Lewis have been lighting it up pretty well over the last few weeks.

The weather hurt their passing game a bit but I liked what I saw from Brooks.

For his first start I thought he played well. Young CBs are gonna get picked on and burnt. It's a given.

However, Henne, Shorts, and Blackmon and Marcedes Lewis have been lighting it up pretty well over the last few weeks.

:thumbsup::beer:

I tracked Ron Brooks while watching shortcuts today. The Jaguars went after him a whopping 18 times. He gave up 7 catches and had one PI penalty and an illegal use of hands penalty. Two passes defensed.

Counting the penalties, he was beat 50% of the time. Not good, but not horrible either. The kid looks like he belongs out there.

Thanks for auditing the throws.

Because Gilmore was on Blackmon for the great majority of snaps (and doing an excellent job) it was natural that Brooks, a rookie starting his first game, would get a lot of work. The man Brooks was covering, Cecil Shorts, has been on fire lately. There was a graphic during the game which showed that Shorts was at or near the top 5 in the NFL in receptions, yards per reception, TD receptions and total yardage since he was made a starter in week 7. Shorts has 619 yards receiving and 5 TDs over the last 7 weeks. Shorts is an emerging star.

As I said earlier, I thought Brooks did just fine and giving up just 50% completions is excellent considering the completion percentage of NFL quarterbacks league-wide is over 60%.

Also, Brooks was credited with 3 pass breakups although I thought he should have been credited with 4 after I reviewed the game.

But, contrary to several comments above, I am worried about his speed.

Brooks is very fast. He ran sub 4.4s at the combine: http://footballsfuture.com/2012/combine/cb.html

As I and others have said before, football speed is not the same as stopwatch speed but Brooks has no speed issues. His athleticism is pretty obvious. Fast, quick, smooth, good hips.

This thread proves that at least 50% of the board has no idea what they are talking about. I've never seen so many polar opposite opinions on the same player during the same game.

Yes. You have people of all different levels of knowledge posting here.

This board has become noticeably reactionary. People have become so emotional and upset they are no longer rational. I think takeyoutotasker made a good clarification on his point but my general feeling is people have no f*cking clue what they are talking about.

No doubt that everyone has opinions and likes to voice them. It is the world we live in. Some opinions are better than others.

Well, he looked better to me in his first game than Aaron Williams has in his second season. That's gotta be worth something.

I know.

People have been bitching all season long about why we kept McGee, how poor Williams has played, and how poor Rogers and McKelvin have been.

Then this rookie starts his first game as a pro and despite being thrown at 18 times, gives up less than 50% completions and breaks up 3 (I say 4 passes).

Well, he looked better to me in his first game than Aaron Williams has in his second season. That's gotta be worth something.

Exactly. The guy just came off a 2-month IR stint and started his first game. I thought he looked ok considering they went after him all day.

I like Brooks and I think he will turn out to be solid. If teams are going to avoid Gilmore and throw to the other side, it would be nice if Brooks can eventually get comfortable enough to make plays on the ball. That's the gripe about McKelvin, who can stick with his man but has no ability to knock down or intercept the ball.