Nix tired of HC/QB questions...says both are as safe as ever

Alphadawg7

There are ways to show displeasure with a performance without throwing someone under the bus. You say things like, "all positions on the team are reviewed and analyzed at season's end," and "we are always to looking the organization and make it more competitive at every position."

But, Buddy resorted to the all too familiar bunker mentality that comes out of OBD whenever the criticisms (warranted in this case) start to fly. We've seen it before with donahoe, jauron, and now chan/nix. The brass closes ranks and starts to treat the fans and media like idiots.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This interview was posted on Bleacher report. Apparently Nix is sick of all the HC and QB questions and says both Chan and Fitz are as safe as ever. I mean WTF...how are either of them as safe as ever?

Well, I could be wrong, but I think people are reading too much into this. I think what Nix is saying is "I'll make decisions that I feel are right for the team, when I'm good and ready to make them, and I won't be telegraphing them to the news media so move along fellas, nothing to see here"

"As safe as ever" doesn't really mean too much, when you think about it, does it? We all know anyone can be gone at any time.

Another side effect of this is that C.J. Spiller is very unlikely to re-enlist with a team which grossly misuses his talents.

Can you imagine what CJ could do with good coaching/play calling??? Good lord. Someone in the front office should consider that aspect of the Bills' "near future".

Luckily, they've got a couple more years to figure that out:

8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract. The deal includes $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final year. An annual $250,000 workout bonus is available throughout the life of the deal. 2012: $852,917, 2013: $1,300,834, 2014: $1,748,750, 2015: $2,196,663, 2016: Free Agent

And per the Buffalo News/Rotoworld: "We're trying to be more balanced down there and not just be pass-happy," Gailey said. The first step should be keeping his best player on the field. The Bills offense predictably stumbled in the red zone two weeks ago when C.J. Spiller was repeatedly removed for third-stringer Tashard Choice.

Now, I don't think CJ seems like the type to hold out, but the Bills would be smart to offer a him a raise and extension a lot sooner than later.

On the Buddy interview, I don't think there is much to read into. Buddy might not actually be the smartest guy in the room, but he's no dummy. Despite being a small market team, sites that cover the NFL like PFT have an insatiable appetite for content. So, they'll look for anything to run with.

I know any press is good press, but the Bills don't want to want to have their GM saying anything that might contradict others in the organization, especially when it can be construed as "I don't have any confidence in our starting QB or head coach when (despite a losing record) there is still a chance for progress and a winning season."

I think Russ also may have talked to Buddy and Chan since Buddy has implied that the Bills don't have a QB of the future and intends to get one and Chan follows that up by basically saying Fitz is our guy even if they get that QB of the future. Both of those soundbites have people extrapolating more definitive claims, and you know that Russ doesn't want it to appear that there is some type of disagreement between the two going forward. So, expect any future questions along those lines to be answered in a similar way, albeit maybe more diplomatically.

The guy isn't going to throw his QB and HC under the bus with games still left to play during the season. Nix still wants this team playing hard and buying in. I suspect that Nix is gonna gut a lot of the coaching staff on both sides and that includes Chan. Fitz is up in the air I don't know how the money is on his contract, they may just keep him for one more year in a QB competition sense. But I wouldn't read too much into the comments.

Awe F&@K it!!! I'm back on the bandwagon. It's Saturday night. Less than 24 hours until gametime. We're not officially out of contention yet. Lets rock this B&$@H for the next 5 games and steal the last playoff spot and then march into New England and smack them around like never before.

Awe F&@K it!!! I'm back on the bandwagon. It's Saturday night. Less than 24 hours until gametime. We're not officially out of contention yet. Lets rock this B&$@H for the next 5 games and steal the last playoff spot and then march into New England and smack them around like never before.

Fallen off the wagon and climbed back on the bandwagon?

:nana:

Can anyone remember an example of just staying the course has worked? Has there been a QB and Head Coach combo that has had the same or less success than Fitz and Gailey together, the GM let them stay the course, and then they went on to be successful?

your assuming that Chan and Fitz are hand cuffed, even though Nix has been looking for, and will draft a QB. To the point that Nix has told us for a while now that Fitz is our "guy, that we can win games with", but we are looking for a franchise QB. I can tell you this, teams with no continuity don't win. Edited by JaxBills

your assuming that Chan and Fitz are hand cuffed, even though Nix has been looking for, and will draft a QB. To the point that Nix has told us for a while now that Fitz is our "guy, that we can win games with", but we are looking for a franchise QB. I can tell you this, teams with no continuity don't win.

Are you saying Jauron should have been retained? There'd be a lot of continuity by now.

The Bills can win games with Fitzpatrick. As a matter of fact, he's won 8 since the 3-0 start to the 2011 season.

Are you saying Jauron should have been retained? There'd be a lot of continuity by now.

The Bills can win games with Fitzpatrick. As a matter of fact, he's won 8 since the 3-0 start to the 2011 season.

maybe not Dick, but Wade, Mularkey, even Perry. Dude, picking out one guy out if the last nine is not going to change that we need continuity. And the point I was making with Fitz is they have NEVER called him a franchise QB. But they have said they are looking for one. Perception is reality, and the perception is that Chix is happy with Fitz. The reality is, Fitz is what they have at the moment.

Chix will get us a QB, when one is worth it.

With the coaching carousel we've had since I've been a fan (17 years) how does anybody expect to get better? The real issue has ALWAYS Been QB. I want to see what Chan's offense will look like with a good QB.

Edited by JaxBills

maybe not Dick, but Wade, Mularkey, even Perry. Dude, picking out one guy out if the last nine is not going to change that we need continuity. And the point I was making with Fitz is they have NEVER called him a franchise QB. But they have said they are looking for one. Perception is reality, and the perception is that Chix is happy with Fitz. The reality is, Fitz is what they have at the moment.

Chix will get us a QB, when one is worth it.

With the coaching carousel we've had since I've been a fan (17 years) how does anybody expect to get better? The real issue has ALWAYS Been QB. I want to see what Chan's offense will look like with a good QB.

The trouble with the continuity argument is that it is looking at the problem after the horses have left the barn. Riding an old glue mule longer isn't going to get you any closer to winning a Super Bowl.

Aside: Not everything is Chan Gailey's fault, but there is no question that he still has a lot to prove here in Buffalo.

Nice lively discussion here....but I still don't understand why anyone would expect Nix to say anything else. Whether he likes it or not, he's tied to both guys, and he'll never publicly express any misgivings he might have about them. I don't think any GM would do that, unless his team was 1-11, and even then he would try to put a positive spin on it. That's one of the things GMs get paid to do.

Well, I could be wrong, but I think people are reading too much into this. I think what Nix is saying is "I'll make decisions that I feel are right for the team, when I'm good and ready to make them, and I won't be telegraphing them to the news media so move along fellas, nothing to see here"

"As safe as ever" doesn't really mean too much, when you think about it, does it? We all know anyone can be gone at any time.

As safe as ever when your sucking for the third year in a row isn't all that safe.

The trouble with the continuity argument is that it is looking at the problem after the horses have left the barn. Riding an old glue mule longer isn't going to get you any closer to winning a Super Bowl.

Aside: Not everything is Chan Gailey's fault, but there is no question that he still has a lot to prove here in Buffalo.

I don't think Chix is that old glue horse. Slick Dick was.I guess that it boils down to everyone's opinion of Nix. Now, I don't agree with every move nix has made, and I don't think Nix himself would either, but every complaint we as fans scream about not retaining good players, or opening the piggy bank in free agency Nix has addressed. Now I remember back in the day, when rookie QBs didn't start, their was a term for a QB holding the rookies spot.....any one remember what it was?

Didnt Mularkey resign? Ya, thought so.

your right, if that's what you really wanted to be.

My point wasent about how the coach left, its that Brady has had one coach. Eli has had one. Rodgers has had one. Payton had, well himself, brees has had two. The teams on top have been playing their systems for so long, we will never be able to compete if were learning our system every few years.

But your right. Absolutely. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. Right.