Need To Settle An Argument with the wife re: Salvation Army

plenzmd1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to be clear, I NEVER make purchases online or in restaurants with my debit card. Only point of purchase (grocery store, self checkout, etc). Any purchase made online or in a situation where I have to GIVE my card number or my card leaves my sight, I use my Credit Card and all the protections that come with it.

That's still not really any safer... Google "card skimmer" :(

i don't know why everyone has trouble with their card protection...I use my debit card nearly 100% or the time for all transactions. I use the credit option rather than the debit option and my card fraud department calls when they see out of the ordinary purchases, which so far have been legit, except for one under $5 charge I could not confirm. Have NEVER had any money taken from my account...just made christmas purchases this morning on amazon and stub hub and within seconds after placing my last (6th) order got the expected phone call..they just wanted to confirm the charges were mine.

i don't know why everyone has trouble with their card protection...I use my debit card nearly 100% or the time for all transactions. I use the credit option rather than the debit option and my card fraud department calls when they see out of the ordinary purchases, which so far have been legit, except for one under $5 charge I could not confirm. Have NEVER had any money taken from my account...just made christmas purchases this morning on amazon and stub hub and within seconds after placing my last (6th) order got the expected phone call..they just wanted to confirm the charges were mine.

What annoying bank are you using that calls you all the time? I wouldn't want to be bothered all the time...

That said, my card's only been used illegally two or three times. And each time the thief actually cloned it -- it was "physically" used in some foreign country.

I've been saying this for years - most people roll their eyes and say it's no big deal. I've stopped evangelizing it. Never smart to use your own money when you can use someone else's interest free with more protection - and usually with a reward to boot.

Most people are not disciplined (or well off enough to live WITHIN THEIR MEANS... VERY EASY to NOT live within your means when you are not well off... That is a later discussion) enough or they will fall into the "credit trap." It is easier to stay disciplined w/a debit card. Why do you think these credit card companies want to you use their money? "Short" one month and people push the balance on... For every one that is disciplined with their finances... There are 100's that fall into the trap... Again, no doubt their own doing.

Banks are getting better and more sophisticated software to fight fraud (IMO, but can't be proven, they are also getting more and more sophisticated software to maximize NSF fees since losing that gravy train in 2009). I only have a 600 (300 cash) dollar daily debit card limit... Big purchases get a paper check... Red flags abound @ times... See below...

Believe it or not... I have had only ONE little problem in almost 20 years of usinig debit religiously. Debits w/my bank do NOT go through instantly... They will pend there for a while. The bank actually (I think ) uses sophisticated software to analyze what is going on... Really, I got off of work @ midnight one time time and fueled my car (pay @ pump)... Went home and tried to fuel up my other car... No go, they seen the time and shut if off. Same thing with going out of town... I ALWAYS call my bank (a local bank) first so they don't shut the card off if they see strange locations.

I only had one other major problem... It was in Erie, PA @ Splash Lagoon... And it was my fault... Only had limited cash on me and my wife wanted some thing in the gift shop... Like under 20 bucks or something... The person there said that there "computers were down" and took my card info... I was very hestitant, but she reassured me... Later that day, there was pending charges online w/a sports memoribilia store outside Pittsburgh... I called my bank, called the owner... The pending charges just hung there and then fell off... The bank didn't even let the pending charges affect my available balance...

Just watch what you spend and check things every night... And you will have no problem...

Also... @ Cedar Point (not a problem @ all in my book)... One time (before I knew about calling the bank when traveling and telling them where I will be)... Red flags were rose when I tried to by park tickets @ Meijer... The 200+ some dollar charge would not go through... And I had all kinds of money in the account... That is when I called the bank and they told me since I was out of town, I should let them know first where I was... I thanked them for looking out for me... The banker said: "I wish more people were like you, people get so mad!"

Get a good bank that isn't lazy, especially with their software and there is no problem... Even if one is not disciplined with "the credit trap." How hard is it to check your pending charges with the banks phone or online/smartphone system every night?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I find that my using a debit card all the time doesn't matter, as I'm poor as ****.

Being a student is awesome. Nobody wants my identity.

BINGO! Nothing in there... Nothing to worry about. Heck... I had one bank fail and the FDIC swooped in to close them on Friday and reopen on Saturday under another bank that bought the deal with FDIC... I only had 60 bucks in that account.

Think I gave a !@#$? No need to pull a "It's a Wonderful Life."

They are -- it's called Falcon Fraud Manager: http://www.fico.com/...ud-manager.aspx

I have a little first hand experience (used to work there). :)

Thanks... That is why I commented to you Fez.. I remember you talking about this and that you are in that field! Again thanks... Now, it is a double-sword... That protection comes @ a price... Especially with the pendings and holds. Since they lost the revenue NSF gravy train in 2009 (debit can now be declined if you don't opt out)... IMO, I think they play with the pendings to maximze NSF fees that they lost in the past... Such fancy systems and the consumer end of it is helter skelter... Some banks, the phone system and online systems grossly lag. The banks, IMO, want the rules to go a one-way street... Their way!

FWIW... I opted out of that legislation in 2009 (Durbin and the other Senators ® bill/law)...

its not all the time, like i said, today i made 4 seperate purchases from stub hub, and one from amazon all within 10 minutes, they have called me maybe 3 times in the past 3 years when there were odd purchases like that

What annoying bank are you using that calls you all the time? I wouldn't want to be bothered all the time...

That said, my card's only been used illegally two or three times. And each time the thief actually cloned it -- it was "physically" used in some foreign country.

its not all the time, like i said, today i made 4 seperate purchases from stub hub, and one from amazon all within 10 minutes, they have called me maybe 3 times in the past 3 years when there were odd purchases like that

Interesting... I betcha people do really crazy things Pooj! :D Why would you make 4 purchases?

One of the excuses I use with the family to NOT spend is:

Bank's gonna red flag it... Can only do one purchase and it has to be this amount... :lol:

Like I said before w/the personal banker. It is not annoying @ all... I thank them all the time for looking out. Same with smartphone banking... You can set what text alerts you want. I set the alerts to low amounts.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

unfortunately stub hub doesn't have a shopping cart, because of the nature of the business, and i was buying 4 pairs of tix for my son for some upcoming sixers games for christmas...so i had to make the purchases individually...amazon thankfully has a shopping cart, otherwise i would have had 11 separate purchases...

Interesting... I betcha people do really crazy things Pooj! :D Why would you make 4 purchases?

One of the excuses I use with the family to NOT spend is:

Bank's gonna red flag it... Can only do one purchase and it has to be this amount... :lol:

Like I said before w/the personal banker. It is not annoying @ all... I thank them all the time for looking out. Same with smartphone banking... You can set what text alerts you want. I set the alerts to low amounts.

I usually only carry a small amount of cash on me. Start the week with $30 or $40 to spend on drinks and such for myself during the work day (so the wifey can't critique what I buy). Anything else...debit card.

I have $10 deducted each month from my checking account and sent to the salvation army. Still will throw change in the pot but don't carry cash like I used to. Only place I use cash is to pay the barber. ocally here in Indy donations are up.

Also alot of stores I am noticing now are soliciting donations when you are cashing out for a charity, theres only so much money to go around.

This has always been kind of annoying to me. I understand and appreciate the idea, but you're kind of in a spot when you're standing in the grocery checkout line and the cashier asks out loud, "Would you like to donate to the "Children Are Starving Right In Front Of Your Eyes and Dropping Dead Like Flies Foundation"?

Oh, so when I saw "no," suddenly I'm the heartless one?

Kidding aside, what they do now that gets me donating every time is "Would you like to round up your purchase to help the (fill in the blank) charity?" Plus, they include solid charities. Lately it's been Wounded Warriors. Unfortunately, as soon as you leave the store, someone is sitting out side with a bucket for something else.

You'll never get rid of the pigeons if you keep feeding them.

I'm a sucker for a pan handler, what can I say?

This has always been kind of annoying to me. I understand and appreciate the idea, but you're kind of in a spot when you're standing in the grocery checkout line and the cashier asks out loud, "Would you like to donate to the "Children Are Starving Right In Front Of Your Eyes and Dropping Dead Like Flies Foundation"?

Oh, so when I saw "no," suddenly I'm the heartless one?

Kidding aside, what they do now that gets me donating every time is "Would you like to round up your purchase to help the (fill in the blank) charity?" Plus, they include solid charities. Lately it's been Wounded Warriors. Unfortunately, as soon as you leave the store, someone is sitting out side with a bucket for something else.

I say out loud, I gave last time (which I did) to avoid any awkward feelings.

I just say no. I know who I'm accountable to, and it's a safe bet it's not the line of people behind me at Vons.

I just say, "I give at the office."

If the majority of people in this country want our social welfare system to resemble Holland's, then I'll be as stingy as a Dutchman. I'm not giving MY cash so these people can eat and then get crowded in vans in November to go vote Democrat so they can take even more out of my pocket. They want to take by force, they're going to get less by choice.

And yes, I get that I'm going to be called a heartless SOB, but screw it. I'm tired of everyone's hands reaching for my wallet.

Thanks to this thread the SA lady in front of the grocery store got a dollar from me on Friday :thumbsup:

Nice! WTG Chef!

I just say, "I give at the office."

If the majority of people in this country want our social welfare system to resemble Holland's, then I'll be as stingy as a Dutchman. I'm not giving MY cash so these people can eat and then get crowded in vans in November to go vote Democrat so they can take even more out of my pocket. They want to take by force, they're going to get less by choice.

And yes, I get that I'm going to be called a heartless SOB, but screw it. I'm tired of everyone's hands reaching for my wallet.

Ok Ebenezer.