Need To Settle An Argument with the wife re: Salvation Army

plenzmd1

I tried to google, but could not find an answer, so came to the place where I know smarter idiots than I have pondered this very important question.

I say the Salvation Army gets way less in the bucket this time of the year as people carry less cash . I know my giving small amounts in cash like that are way down..used to be everytime I saw one after Thanksgiving, at least a couple bucks went in the pot, more likely $5 or $10. But now most times I litreally have no cash or change on me what so ever, so nothing goes in.

She says that I am a freak, most people still carry at least some cash..and giving would be the same.

That being said, i would say from about two weeks ago, I have not bought groceries and not added $10 to the bill for food for the needy. Like that the grocery store does that, would like to see it year round.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last 5years have stood in front of Walmart on the Saturday after thanksgiving ( Scottish rite day) 1 hour shifts and it seemed like collections up. I believe total fot that day is around $ 1,000 1,100. 2009 was down around 900. Find out the total for this year in a few weeks. Collection is for 8 hours only.

I think that most people (Except for Brad Pitt) are probably carrying less cash on them now then before due to Bank & Credit Cards being used everywhere. Also alot of stores I am noticing now are soliciting donations when you are cashing out for a charity, theres only so much money to go around. I always feel leery when donating to something I am not familiar with or through a third party (like when cashing out at a store) because you never know how much of that is actually going to charity, and how much is being kept by the company

I generally have no actual cash with me. I use my check card for everything I buy.

Don't use your debit card. Cash or CC only. We've had our CC hacked multiply times (last time just a couple of weeks ago) and we're not liable for the purchases and we just get a new card. Sometimes a pain no biggie. They hack your debit card they have access to your bank account. Try to get that back.

Don't use your debit card. Cash or CC only. We've had our CC hacked multiply times (last time just a couple of weeks ago) and we're not liable for the purchases and we just get a new card. Sometimes a pain no biggie. They hack your debit card they have access to your bank account. Try to get that back.

what are you doing that is getting your CC hacked so much?

I've been saying this for years - most people roll their eyes and say it's no big deal. I've stopped evangelizing it. Never smart to use your own money when you can use someone else's interest free with more protection - and usually with a reward to boot.

I've been saying this for years - most people roll their eyes and say it's no big deal. I've stopped evangelizing it. Never smart to use your own money when you can use someone else's interest free with more protection - and usually with a reward to boot.

Yup! And it's not like mine gets hacked every week but maybe one a year or so. My wife checks the statement every day and she'll catch it. I suggest all of you do the same. This past time someone spent $500 in a Sears someplace in the midwest.

I want to be clear, I NEVER make purchases online or in restaurants with my debit card. Only point of purchase (grocery store, self checkout, etc). Any purchase made online or in a situation where I have to GIVE my card number or my card leaves my sight, I use my Credit Card and all the protections that come with it.

I am the same. I have had $1 in my wallet for a month. Id spend it on something but nothing just costs a dollar! And I hate carrying change.

As for the salvation army and charity, I hate saying it but I have no shame in defending my belief... I RARELY give to charity. I make little, and I spend a lot on the farm so id rather just not partake. However I usually give to people I know or to the right cause.

Yup! And it's not like mine gets hacked every week but maybe one a year or so. My wife checks the statement every day and she'll catch it. I suggest all of you do the same. This past time someone spent $500 in a Sears someplace in the midwest.

HAve had my credit card compromised 3 different times over the years, my debit card never. I think the way I chose to use my debit card is a big part of that.

HAve had my credit card compromised 3 different times over the years, my debit card never. I think the way I chose to use my debit card is a big part of that.

As I mentioned our card was hacked a couple of weeks ago and neither of us had used it recently online. People can get your info right out of your wallet as you walk by.

the one thing that might work in their favor is that with people spending less cash - they probably carry less change. instead of the 37 cents that you were handed at checkout, you might be more apt to drop bills in there. i wouldnt imagine that it counteracts it, but it may offset a percentage.

As I mentioned our card was hacked a couple of weeks ago and neither of us had used it recently online. People can get your info right out of your wallet as you walk by.

I've seen that with a card reader, I forget what program.

There's aluminum housed wallets out there now that stop that by effectively creating a Faraday cage around the card so electromagnetic waves can't pass through.

Edited by UConn James

I've seen that with a card reader, I forget what program.

There's aluminum housed wallets out there now that stop that by effectively creating a Faraday cage around the card so electromagnetic waves can't pass through.

We give those away to our clients with our company logo on them.

Getting back to the SA thing I have not funded the kettle in years. I actually gave $1 to a guy a couple of weeks ago which I also haven't done in years. And old black dude sitting on a bus bench listenting to an old transistor radio asked for a quarter. Whao dude, is this 1967? Well I was on my way to the bank to get a bunch of cash for the weekend (no CC, that was when it was hacked) came back by and because I now had a boatload of cash I gave him a dollar. He smiled and said I made his day. Made mine too.

Edited by Chef Jim