Cheer Up Bills Fans! There Are Worse Teams in the NFL

Storm Front

As Bills fans, we have all suffered many highs and lows over the years. However, there are NFL franchises that are worse than ours with loyal fans who stick by their teams through thick and thin.

Here are some NFL franchises that have been worse than the Bills over the last 40 years:

Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers

Kansas City Chiefs

Jacksonville Jaguars

Detroit Lions

New York Jets

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals (at least Ohio has the Hall of Fame)

Seattle Seahawks

Houston Oilers/Tenessee Titans

Atlanta Falcons (although they have been decent in recent years)

As Bills fans, we have all suffered many highs and lows over the years. However, there are NFL franchises that are worse than ours with loyal fans who stick by their teams through thick and thin.

Here are some NFL franchises that have been worse than the Bills over the last 40 years:

Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers

Kansas City Chiefs

Jacksonville Jaguars

Detroit Lions

New York Jets

Cleveland Browns

Seattle Seahawks

What are you basing your list on?

I am basing it on the successfulness (winning seasons) of those franchises, and the amount of season-ending heartaches most of those teams have experienced over the last 40 years. Based on heartache, I think being an Eagles fan would be the toughest team of all for which to be a fan.

I am basing it on the successfulness (winning seasons) of those franchises, and the amount of season-ending heartaches most of those teams have experienced over the last 40 years. Based on heartache, I think being an Eagles fan would be the toughest team of all for which to be a fan.

I don't have those stats in front of me...but I would guess the Eagles have more winning seasons (or percentage of winning seasons..you can't compare the Jags to the rest) than any of those teams...but I would feel a lot less hearache from getting boucned from the playoffs annually, than I would not even contending every year...I would think there is a lot more "heartache" involved in being a Browns fan..at least perennial underachievers like the Chargers and Eagles can go into the season with a sense that their team has a shot (really there is one winner and 31 losers every season)...when was the last time a Browns fan could feel that way? That is heartache to me... and our Bills are in that neighborhood.

Edited by Buftex

Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers

Kansas City Chiefs

Jacksonville Jaguars

Detroit Lions

New York Jets

Cleveland Browns

Seattle Seahawks

The Bills will not have made the playoffs for 13 straight seasons. The longest streak in the league. IMO that is the most telling stat of how futile things have been for the fan base.

I see what you're saying but I don't think Bills fans in their 20's and 30's care much about looking back 40 seasons. It will be 20 years since their last Super Bowl appearance next season. Take away those great 5 or 6 seasons in the 90's and what do we have? Very few consecutive winning seasons to be positive about. Reality is that for fans under 20 those Super Bowl years are about as important to them as the 60's AFL championship teams are for me.

That and a buck will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds. Go on any of their fan boards and see how many "at least we went to the playoffs this decade" posts there are.

PTR

Probably none, but I wonder if they are any "at least we're not the Buffalo Bills" post on those other fan boards?

Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers

Kansas City Chiefs

Jacksonville Jaguars

Detroit Lions

New York Jets

Cleveland Browns

Seattle Seahawks

You're using the "last 40 years" as a relevant timespan. Wow...

I don't have those stats in front of me...but I would guess the Eagles have more winning seasons (or percentage of winning seasons..you can't compare the Jags to the rest) than any of those teams...but I would feel a lot less hearache from getting boucned from the playoffs annually, than I would not even contending every year...I would think there is a lot more "heartache" involved in being a Browns fan..at least perennial underachievers like the Chargers and Eagles can go into the season with a sense that their team has a shot (really there is one winner and 31 losers every season)...when was the last time a Browns fan could feel that way? That is heartache to me... and our Bills are in that neighborhood.

Historically speaking,

Bills: .465

Eagles: .483

Chargers: .503

Browns: .541

Yes, being an Eagles fan is way worse than being a Bills fan. They haven't won anything since 1960. Their history of regular season and playoff futility is worse than the Bills. Plus, right now they feel about Andy Reid and Michael Vick like we do about Chan Gailey and Pitz.

Let's just look at recent trends...

We may not have reached our goals yet, and that hurts, but what about teams expected to do well, looked like they were rebuilding , had some recent success- maybe they got a hot first round QB, a playoff berth in the past two seasons, only to take huge steps backwards (NY Jets, Detroit, Dallas, St Louis, KC, Arizona), and then you have the ones who have peaked and are on a major decline (San Diego, Philly, Pittsburgh I believe is heading in that direction too), and then there is the the woebegone: (Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland, KC again).

We fall into the annually below average group with teams like Miami, Carolina and Washington, and Tampa-Not completely wretched-irrelevant, and pretty bad year in and out.

I guess I would rather build for another year and be consistent for the next 5 years then have the Bills get a wildcard this year, lose that one game, and then go another 6 years without any success....

This endless feeling of being a bad team hurts but keep in mind-This is a cyclical business. When the Bills were kiling it in the early 90's...The Patriots, The Steelers, The Packers, The Saints, The Bears, and Atlanta were all horrible, and Miami, Buffalo, and KC ruled the AFC.

Things always turn for the better or for the worse for every team...We are due for the better!

Go on any of their fan boards and see how many "at least we went to the playoffs this decade" posts there are.

Those fans may not say that, because they hold their teams to a higher standard. Sadly, Bills fans can't even say "at least we went to the playoffs this decade" even if we wanted to!

Those fans may not say that, because they hold their teams to a higher standard. Sadly, Bills fans can't even say "at least we went to the playoffs this decade" even if we wanted to!

Higher standard? Seriously? What it is is "what have you done lately?"

PTR

I think the problem is as bad as some Bills fans want to say the Bills are, they just aren't. That's the problem. They never quick hit rock bottom. Are the Colts a great drafting team or did they get lucky and get the #1 overall pick and pick 2 of the best QB prospects of the last 20 years?

I either want a 5 game winning streak or a 5 game losing one. Perhaps at 9-7, the ycan sneak into the playoffs in a garbage AFC. But if we don't, lose them all. We need to hit rock bottom.