Chan Will NOT Change How He Calls Plays

Bronc24

I find a number of things amusing about this interview:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/26/chan-gailey-wont-change-how-bills-call-plays/#comments

If you ended up doing that every time, then he has to know every situation about pass protection. He has to know how many times you want C.J. Spiller to get the ball. He has to know do you want to run it here to set up third down? You’ve thrown it a couple of times, he has to know ‘lets run the football here.’ There’s a lot more to it than just seeing what they do and calling a play,” Gailey said. “It’s setting up a play to set up the next play. Fitz is really good, he is smart. He can make adjustments on the field and sees things and knows what’s going on but we’re doing things today just like we did them last year and the year before that. We have been successful in times past. We just need to continue to execute in all phases of what we’re trying to get done and then we can get back to where we’ve been offensively.”

First...even I think that Fitz has a better idea as to how many times CJ should get the ball.

Second...don't you want your QB to see what the defense is doing and adjust protection accordingly? Somehow a sideline dictated play call is better than this?

Third...You were successful until teams figured out you have a QB who is not accurate beyond 7 yards. This season, I even question the accuracy within 7 yards. Sure, he may get a completion but too often the ball is in a place where the receiver cannot rack up yac.

Fourth...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Chan, you have zero passion on the sideline and you have lost this team. How do you not get fired up over the fumble inside the 5? Or the pass interference call on Gilmore? I don't care if they were right or wrong calls, show some goddamn fire! You think the Harbaugh's care if a call is right or wrong? They work the refs...they fire up their teams. The Wilson / Nix / Gailey regime is old and tired. This FAN BASE DESERVES BETTER!

CJ Spiller has honest to goodness superstar talent. Gailey's handling of Spiller clearly shows why he isn't cut out as an NFL head coach.

A little off topic, but if I had been calling the shots leading up to last draft (and I mentioned this at the time) I would have traded Fred Jackson for a pick and bundled whatever I needed to bundle to get RGIII. I might have even mentioned throwing in Marcel Dareus. But hey, what do I know. The Bills would be one of the teams favored to go to the Superbowl in the AFC if they had both RGIII and Spiller in the same backfield.

Gailey is clearly losing the team and there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube. As with the fans, they no longer view him as a real head coach.

He coaches likes he has Drew Brees, Rodgers, or Brady. Instead, he has a very average at best QB and one of the most explosive weapons in years. Yet, he rather try to win with an average at best QB.

I think Chan is very creative but 3 things will led to his firing: 1) overvaluing Fitz and not at least drafting a serious QB to groom 2) his DC choices 3) Not using an explosive weapon as much as possible when he picked him 9th overall in hte 1st place.

CJ Spiller has honest to goodness superstar talent. Gailey's handling of Spiller clearly shows why he isn't cut out as an NFL head coach.

A little off topic, but if I had been calling the shots leading up to last draft (and I mentioned this at the time) I would have traded Fred Jackson for a pick and bundled whatever I needed to bundle to get RGIII. I might have even mentioned throwing in Marcel Dareus. But hey, what do I know. The Bills would be one of the teams favored to go to the Superbowl in the AFC if they had both RGIII and Spiller in the same backfield.

Gailey is clearly losing the team and there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube. As with the fans, they no longer view him as a real head coach.

clearly losing the team ? Because some big mouth wide outs popped off ?

I think Chan's a mediocre OC masquerading as a head coach. We've all seen how he overthinks the game plan and leans to the pass. Do we ever run on two consecutive plays? Empty backfields with short distances, especially third down. Yet we'll go pass happy all the time. CJ spiller having a great game against Miami but standing on the sidelines in the red zone with Choice in the game. Same thing yesterday in the 4th quarter. There was a shot of CJ on the sideline at one point kind of looking all around him..almost pleading someone to let him back in the game. Unreal how Chan just doesn't get it. He said this morning it's because they've allotted a number of plays for each back. Wow.

Players are finally starting to go public on playcalling. From Stevie:

"How I see it, I think we need to let our quarterback call these plays," said Johnson. "He’s out there on the field. He sees the adjustments that need to be done. I think we just need to let him make the adjustments on the go. I think that’s the way we can move the ball better. He did it a little bit in the game and we moved the ball. That’s how I feel about it. In the fourth quarter, we were pushing it. We were in a groove. He was hitting C.J. (Spiller), getting his run plays, doing the pass plays, and I just think we should just do it more often."

Johnson continued when pressed by reporters: "The play calling is cool. In the situations, we are the ones out there on the field. He knows what to check into and check out of. It’s different when you are looking from the booth and say, ‘Okay, they might be in this’ than being out there. That’s just my take on it. I just think that he has the ability to control the offense 100 percent. I think we should take advantage of that."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/11/26/3691056/colts-20-bills-13-postgame-comments-chan-gailey

And as far as defense, he's come out and said publicly that he has almost zero input on that side of the ball, leaning fully on his friend Dave who "has more experience with defense than I'll ever have."

This team is better than it's record. Coaching is attrocious.

He's such a stubborn ass saying they're going to keep doing things like they always do, which is losing. But then again he can afford to be since nix already unconditionally gave him the HC for 2013 too. Seriously in this day and age, other than elected officials, who gets a job where they can suck 4 years straight and not get removed ?

No, because the team is playing like they are deflated. As in how the RBs are miserable that they can't get in the field in the Red Zone. As in the defensive players that have to deal with CBs like Williams, McGee, Moats, Kelsey starting on defense when they are clearly not starting quality players in the NFL. At least not anymore.

Dick Jauron's motto was "it's hard to win in this league." chan's is "WELL THEY TOOK SOME STUFF AWAY." here's an idea, chan DON'T LET THEM TAKE ANYTHING AWAY. I was done with Chan after he got outcoached by Wade Phillips. Every week, some D coordinator takes something away from Chan. He acts as if the playing calling is out of his hands "well they showed this front, and so we had to run this..." why not run whatever the hell you want and jam it down their throats? you have a loser's mentality, Chan. You have a woefully sad losing record, Chan. You're a losing coach, Chan. Do you like to lose, Chan? Go away, Chan. Quit.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

Dick Jauron's motto was "it's hard to win in this league." chan's is "WELL THEY TOOK SOME STUFF AWAY." here's an idea, chan DON'T LET THEM TAKE ANYTHING AWAY. I was done with Chan after he got outcoached by Wade Phillips. Every week, some D coordinator takes something away from Chan. He acts as if the playing calling is out of his hands "well they showed this front, and so we had to run this..." why not run whatever the hell you want and jam it down their throats? you have a loser's mentality, Chan. You have a woefully sad losing record, Chan. You're a losing coach, Chan. Do you like to lose, Chan? Go away, Chan. Quit.

I love this post.

I remember how Jauron's offensive philosophy was to "play for the field goal."

Then on defense, it was "bend but don't break" and giving up a field goal was considered a victory.

Loser's mentality.

He's such a stubborn ass saying they're going to keep doing things like they always do, which is losing. But then again he can afford to be since nix already unconditionally gave him the HC for 2013 too. Seriously in this day and age, other than elected officials, who gets a job where they can suck 4 years straight and not get removed ?

Who would want to come here to coach anyhow? I am so sick of seeing others hire the Harbaughs of the world while we trot out retread after retread. Can Norv Turner be far away?

Who would want to come here to coach anyhow? I am so sick of seeing others hire the Harbaughs of the world while we trot out retread after retread. Can Norv Turner be far away?

Idk the answer to that. I'm just put off by chan having a lock on the job for nearly half a decade without regard to performance. He should have someone to answer to just like everyone else.

Because of his W-L record. No one wants to listen to a loser Which his record says he is.

Big mouth wide out ? Listen to what stevie said about fitz and chan on Monday. Stevie's as stand up as they come keeps defending fitz and chan at all costs. Sj13 is a saint. Put the C on him

Idk the answer to that. I'm just put off by chan having a lock on the job for nearly half a decade without regard to performance. He should have someone to answer to just like everyone else.

I absolutely agree with you on both your points.

I view this situation differently. Fitz tends to get too much on the flow of things and starts trusting himself beyond his abilities. This is probably what gets him in troubke by trying to fit in tight passes etc. Despite what I think about Gailey overall, i think he is trying to save Fitz from himself

You must not have watched any games lately. This team plays with no fire. The body language is evident on all the players. There is a lot of talent on this team and they dont believe they can win. It has been clear to me since beginning on the season that Chan has lost them.

Edited by offyourocker

Great thread.

In light of these wacky comments, what conscious owner would continue to give this idiot (Gailey) the reigns to his franchise?

Further proof of Ralph's blithering senility.

Love ya, Ralph. -But this is just nuts..

Edited by #34fan