Chan Will NOT Change How He Calls Plays

Bronc24

You must not have watched any games lately. This team plays with no fire. The body language is evident on all the players. There is a lot of talent on this team and they dont believe they can win. It has been clear to me since beginning on the season that Chan has lost them.

That's the biggest problem right there. More than any position upgrade, the mentality needs to change.

What you guys fail to realize is that upon his hiring Chan Gailey stated to the Buffalo Bills / Ralph Wilson that he doesn't need superstars to win! He is damned defiant and determined to prove that true.

From Peter King after Gailey was first hired.

"Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/19/mailbag/index.html

What an utterly moronic statement to make! Clearly Gailey is a moron of biblical proportions to state he can win without stars! Its the stars that make up the league and without them the teams are nothing. This might be the sole reason as to why Gailey refuses to give both Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller more touches. The reason Gailey picked Fitz and stuck with him trying to make him look like Tom Brady...but without Brady's surrounding cast of excellent receivers, without the Patriots O line, scheme, game plan.

Chan Gailey prefers a team filled minor or non stars, suppose they come cheaper then real stars?

Idk the answer to that. I'm just put off by chan having a lock on the job for nearly half a decade without regard to performance. He should have someone to answer to just like everyone else.

This owner has been getting away with this for over an entire decade, and laughing all the way to the bank. The fans keep blaming the players and coaches when the real problem is the man who signs those paychecks.

Nothing changes until ownership changes!

At this point, his play calling and coaching ability will only lead the team to a higher draft pick. :thumbsup:

Which begs the questions:

1) with the crew we have picking, will we use that pick wisely?

2) will that high draft pick make a difference with the coaching we have in place?

What an utterly moronic statement to make! Clearly Gailey is a moron of biblical proportions to state he can win without stars! Its the stars that make up the league and without them the teams are nothing. This might be the sole reason as to why Gailey refuses to give both Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller more touches. The reason Gailey picked Fitz and stuck with him trying to make him look like Tom Brady...but without Brady's surrounding cast of excellent receivers, without the Patriots O line, scheme, game plan.

Quick, name the stars on the 49'ers

Stars are often made by winning teams

Which is not intended to defend Gailey here. It's not his belief he can win with the talent we have that bothers me. It's how he's using the talent.

Which is not intended to defend Gailey here. It's not his belief he can win with the talent we have that bothers me. It's how he's using the talent.

I thought Dallas wore the Stars.

Most will only know of the 2 QB's on the 9ers team. Smith and Kap.

Frank gore, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Aldon smith, Carlos rogers, Justin smith, David akers.

Plenty of other Guys right behind them like crab tree, manningham, Vernon Davis, goldson, bowman, brooks .... That team is stacked!

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

2) will that high draft pick make a difference with the coaching we have in place?

Smith, Willis, Gore, Kap, Davis, Aldon Smith, Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jacobs, Harbaugh. How's that?

Frank gore, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Aldon smith, Carlos rogers, Justin smith, David akers.

Plenty of other Guys right behind them like crab tree, manningham, Vernon Davis, goldson, bowman, brooks .... That team is stacked!

That's an understatement.

Did you know that they haven't even activated their 1st or 2nd round picks all season yet?

What bothers me is he has been extremely poor at winning, regardless of the beliefs.

That's an understatement.

Did you know that they haven't even activated their 1st or 2nd round picks all season yet?

What bothers me is he has been extremely poor at winning, regardless of the beliefs.

I suppose that is what really gets to me. Honestly, was anyone jacked when the Bills introduced Chan Gailey as their head coach? Maybe living a couple of thousand miles away from the situation gives me an objective look, but I sure wasn't excited. Where has he "won"? He didn't impress in his stint with the Cowboys (yes, he made the playoffs twice, with Switzer's team, the second year going 8 - 8. He did not win a playoff game either year) and he certainly wasn't outstanding at Georgia Tech (5 years with 7 wins and one year with 9). He was a bargain rate hire and is a bargain rate coach. Coaches under Chan who have become head coaches? Dave Campo.

At the same time, our defensive coordinator has an overall 82 - 87 record as a head coach in the NFL, highlited by three decent years in Miami before the wheels fell off with a 1 - 8 start in 2004. He then moved on to Pitt, where he compiled an "impressive" 42 - 31 record. Not what I would call a "winner", by any means. He and Norv have made more money off those JJ led SB victories than I could hope to make in 30 lifetimes.

Then, to top it off, we make a 7th round, weak-armed QB with a 4 - 10 career record and a 12 - 17 TD:INT ratio our backup, then starter. He has elevated that won-loss record to a lofty 21 - 38. God knows we have more problems than QB, but it is the most important position on the team in the NFL and we need a winner manning the position (pun intended). Nobody can tell me that when we are needing a big drive late in the game that they have supreme confidence it will turn out well for the Bills. That has to change.

Bottom line, we have a loser's mentality. It starts with the owner, permeates down to the front office and coaching staff and down to the players. All any of us want is that attitude to be reversed. It will never happen with the current regime and I am an optimist by nature.

Edited by Marauder24

Why should he change the way he calls plays? I have heard several times, and even on this website how he is an offensive genius? Bottom line in the NFL is winning, nothing else and you have to go back to Hank Bullough in parts of 1985 and 1986 to find a head coach with a lower winning percentage then "The Genius" Chan Gailey. He needs to go, and if it is tomorrow it is too late.

Edited by BuffBill

Why should he change the way he calls plays? I have heard several times, and even on this website how he is an offensive genius? Bottom line in the NFL is winning, nothing else and you have to go back to Hank Bullough in parts of 1985 and 1986 to find a head coach with a lower winning percentage then "The Genius" Chan Gailey. He needs to go, and if it is tomorrow it is too late.

What most of you guys don't get is the bottom line to the Bills owner is NOT winning, and never has been. His bottom line is profit, and always has been. He isn't dedicated to winning like Robert Kraft or Eddie DeBartolo, or even Jerry Jones.

I can recall Wilson complaining about how much it cost him to send the Bills staff, cheerleaders, and front office personnel to a super bowl. He did that once with the first SB, after that a lot needed to pay their own way.

This owner has shown Bills fans over and over, year after year that if his stadium is filled he is content to go with the status quo. Once the fan base starts to falter he WILL make changes depending on how much the fan base is damaged.

God forbid the Bills fan base even grows a brain and stops buying season tickets, that might force Wilson to finally hire a Bill Cowher / Mike Holmgren winning type to coach his team. I highly doubt Wilson would ever move the team as he KNOWS he has a city full of suckers right in Buffalo.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for a HCing change...just trying to be patient and wait for ownership to change hands.

He coaches likes he has Drew Brees, Rodgers, or Brady. Instead, he has a very average at best QB and one of the most explosive weapons in years. Yet, he rather try to win with an average at best QB.

I think Chan is very creative but 3 things will led to his firing: 1) overvaluing Fitz and not at least drafting a serious QB to groom 2) his DC choices 3) Not using an explosive weapon as much as possible when he picked him 9th overall in hte 1st place.

Despite a wealth of short passes I think he's overly concerned with hiding fitz often. Though he passes a lot, it's rarely anything remotely challenging for a top flight qb.

Answers: No, and HAIL, no!

You'll run out of days in a year before you run out of reasons why Gailey, and his entire coaching staff need to leave town right away. I only need two: 9/9/2012, 9/30/2012, 10/7/2012, 10/21/2012. Okay that's four. Still..

:o

How about ALL OF THEM.

And...

While stars are often made by winning teams, -winning teams are often made by winning coaches. I think that's the REAL lesson here. In a fairly brief coaching carreer, Harbaugh has dominated at every stop. Listening to Chan preach caution in EVERY facet of the game, can make a guy forget that sometimes chances pay off. -it sure did for San fran.

CJ Spiller has honest to goodness superstar talent. Gailey's handling of Spiller clearly shows why he isn't cut out as an NFL head coach.

A little off topic, but if I had been calling the shots leading up to last draft (and I mentioned this at the time) I would have traded Fred Jackson for a pick and bundled whatever I needed to bundle to get RGIII. I might have even mentioned throwing in Marcel Dareus. But hey, what do I know. The Bills would be one of the teams favored to go to the Superbowl in the AFC if they had both RGIII and Spiller in the same backfield.

Gailey is clearly losing the team and there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube. As with the fans, they no longer view him as a real head coach.

don't think you could have given enough to get from pick 11 to pick 2. Probably at least a 1 and 2 for 3 or 4 years. that would kill the franchise since no top FAs will come. too many needs elsewhere. the draft is all the bills have.

What most of you guys don't get is the bottom line to the Bills owner is NOT winning, and never has been. His bottom line is profit, and always has been. He isn't dedicated to winning like Robert Kraft or Eddie DeBartolo, or even Jerry Jones.

I can recall Wilson complaining about how much it cost him to send the Bills staff, cheerleaders, and front office personnel to a super bowl. He did that once with the first SB, after that a lot needed to pay their own way.

This owner has shown Bills fans over and over, year after year that if his stadium is filled he is content to go with the status quo. Once the fan base starts to falter he WILL make changes depending on how much the fan base is damaged.

God forbid the Bills fan base even grows a brain and stops buying season tickets, that might force Wilson to finally hire a Bill Cowher / Mike Holmgren winning type to coach his team. I highly doubt Wilson would ever move the team as he KNOWS he has a city full of suckers right in Buffalo.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for a HCing change...just trying to be patient and wait for ownership to change hands.

I don't disagree that Ralph may be the worst owner in the NFL, but you can't argue that Gailey has more talent this year then the Bills have had in years, way more then Jauron, Mularkey or Williams had and his wins keep going down? I am the first to criticize Ralph, but Gailey has the worst winning percentage of head coaches on the Bills in 3 or 4 decades, and there has been some real bad teams since then too.