When do heads start to roll? Namely Chan, Buddy, Wanny, Fitz?

MClem06

What do you gain from hiring a new Coach/GM mid-season? Do we wait one more game to let the heads roll? Seeing that Sunday's game against the Colts pretty much had the season on the line and Gailey showed his "No Stones" approach to the game by punting with 3 minutes left and horrendous play calling when it was most important I say he's first to go. I'm all for keeping Buddy around as he has tried to pull together some decent talent and did okay this past draft with Glenn, Gilmore combo. Fitz IMO is a victim of horrible play calling. I do think he's smart enough to run this offense himself and for the remainder of the season should be given the reins to make the calls in the huddle, this pass first approach is part of the many reasons we haven't been winning. I truly believe that offensive and defensive coaching are to blame for 90% of our losses. Yes our LB squad is laughable but this defense has stopped drives. I noticed only ONE time on 3rd and long we threw a LB in on a blitz,,,, ONE TIME! Wanny was relying as always on the front for to get pressure by themselves. QB had all day back there on 3rd and they in turn got first downs on every crucial 3rd down. That's coaching not talent.

If I were Ralph I would let the heads roll starting with Gailey and Wanny, Keep Fitzy and Nix.

Edited by MClem06

No heads should roll, this team has tons of talent thanks to a pretty decent front office, but I do think Chan Gailey should hand the playcalling off to someone else. I personally am tired of the firesale every 3 years. The defense looked pretty solid against a good QB, and a little time in the scheme with Wanstedt will reap rewards. Chan however has lost me on his play calling, and while Fitzpatrick is a great locker room leader, he is clearly not the answer. It's time to draft a franchise QB. With just improved QB play, this team is easily 7-4 at this point, or even better. firing everyone seems kinda counter-productive when you think of the team in these terms.

I would have thought that Wilson would have been fed up enough by now that the team is mostly out of the playoffs, apparently there is still some slim glimmer of hope that they are not completely out of it.

Only the 1-10 Chiefs are out of it as the 2-9 Jags are still in it also :lol:

Now that the 4-7 Bills face the 2-9 Jags, the 4-6 Rams, the 6-5 Seahawks, the 5-6 Dolphins, the 4-7 Jets all kinda crappy teams that they can beat and screw their draft chances for a top player or QB. So naturally when the Bills finish 7-9 this year Gailey / Nix will be retained for another year, possibly two :doh:

Edited by FeartheLosing

I think barring an epic 0-5 meltdown the rest of the way (and no changes in ownership) that Buddy's job is safe. By extension that means that Chan is safe too. Although, I could see where Buddy may force Chan to take more of a step back and delegate the play calling to someone else. I have never really liked to see head coaches overly involved in the the play-by-play management of a game. Chan used to be a really good in-game play caller, but lately that simply has not been the case. He seems to have lost the art of devising a sequence of plays that allows the offense to get into a rhythm. Of course, that is severely magnified by having such a streaky QB. Still, the problem remains that Chan just tries too often to debunk conventional wisdom. Is he trying to show everyone that he is smarter than all of us? Or, is he so worried about an under-manned team that he tries to overcompensate?

Speaking of which...

I believe that in terms of heads rolling, Fitz's pretty much already has. I think Nix's comments weeks ago were pretty revealing. Really, with better QB play, I believe that this team could very well be 7-4 or even 8-3.

I also think the lack of reps from Tavaris and Thigpen tell us all we need to know about the future of these guys. I suspect that perhaps Nix/Chan admired Jackson from afar -- but once they brought him in, maybe realized that he was missing some key ingredients. Obviously, they do not trust him. Remember, Thigpen was almost a final roster cut. Fitz does get rid of the ball quickly, which has helped mask some deficiencies with the OL.

No heads should roll, this team has tons of talent thanks to a pretty decent front office, but I do think Chan Gailey should hand the playcalling off to someone else. I personally am tired of the firesale every 3 years. The defense looked pretty solid against a good QB, and a little time in the scheme with Wanstedt will reap rewards. Chan however has lost me on his play calling, and while Fitzpatrick is a great locker room leader, he is clearly not the answer. It's time to draft a franchise QB. With just improved QB play, this team is easily 7-4 at this point, or even better. firing everyone seems kinda counter-productive when you think of the team in these terms.

Are you serious? This team is the WORST coached team in the league, both offensively and defensively..What scheme are you talking about on defense? We do NOT have a scheme. We rush 4 Dlineman and drop seven guys into a cover two coverage type scheme with loads of room in front of the safeties on every play. We may have blitzed two times the entire game yesterday! We allow our weakest DB (Rogers) to cover the Colts best receiver (future hall of famer) for most of the game. Absolutely NOTHING is done to confuse the opposing teams QB. On offense we continue to go five wide with one of the worst starting QB's in the league, despite having two of the best RB's in the league, and a very solid roadgrading type of O line. We come out flat almost every week, and NEVER impose our will on the opposition.. We are a mentally and physically weak team that plays cautious and conservative. I believe the players know we have very little chance to win most games because of the coaching staff. 4-7 may very well end up 4-12. Jacksonville and St Louis are no pushovers. There D is licking their chops knowing who we have at QB, and that we will pass the majority of the time while keeping the most dynamic RB in the league on the sidelines. We don't have Super Bowl talent. But there is absolutely no reason with the talent that we do have, if used properly, this team should be 7-4. The Titans, Colts and Texans were all ripe to be beaten on the day we played them. Better play calling, and game management, and we win those three easily. And we also should have won in NE with better play calling at the end. So yes our QB play is horrible (and whose fault is that refusing to make a change?) but the Coaching has been absolutely brutal.

Are you serious? This team is the WORST coached team in the league, both offensively and defensively..What scheme are you talking about on defense? We do NOT have a scheme. We rush 4 Dlineman and drop seven guys into a cover two coverage type scheme with loads of room in front of the safeties on every play. We may have blitzed two times the entire game yesterday! We allow our weakest DB (Rogers) to cover the Colts best receiver (future hall of famer) for most of the game. Absolutely NOTHING is done to confuse the opposing teams QB. On offense we continue to go five wide with one of the worst starting QB's in the league, despite having two of the best RB's in the league, and a very solid roadgrading type of O line. We come out flat almost every week, and NEVER impose our will on the opposition.. We are a mentally and physically weak team that plays cautious and conservative. I believe the players know we have very little chance to win most games because of the coaching staff. 4-7 may very well end up 4-12. Jacksonville and St Louis are no pushovers. There D is licking their chops knowing who we have at QB, and that we will pass the majority of the time while keeping the most dynamic RB in the league on the sidelines. We don't have Super Bowl talent. But there is absolutely no reason with the talent that we do have, if used properly, this team should be 7-4. The Titans, Colts and Texans were all ripe to be beaten on the day we played them. Better play calling, and game management, and we win those three easily. And we also should have won in NE with better play calling at the end. So yes our QB play is horrible (and whose fault is that refusing to make a change?) but the Coaching has been absolutely brutal.

that would be oakland...

When the teams sold

Yup.

Nothing changes until Ralph sells the team. He's not going to undergo another rebuilding process with a new front office and coaching staff. We're saddled with these schlubs until the old man finally releases the reigns.

Agreed. Would keep FO (Nix/Whaley/etc), and thanks to Ralph, it is impossible to hire a better Coach. Unless we get lucky by taking a flyer on some Coordinator, but I don't think it's worth the risk/hassle.

New QB turns this team around. Simply adding a guy who could have completed the 2 easy deep passes to WIDE OPEN receivers, and we walk away with this victory.

This team is the WORST coached team in the league, both offensively and defensively..

People that make statements like this just make it obvious that they don't watch a lot of other NFL games/teams. Or if they do, they are blinded by their fanhood to the Bills which makes it seem that the highs are higher and the lows are lower.

After being ready to jump from the ledge, I watched a lot of other games during our Bye week and last Sunday. Let me tell you, there are a lot of other teams and QBs that do things just as poorly as the Bills and Fitz.

Coaching and QB play are definitely major issues for our team, but to say that either are the "worst in the league" is simply incorrect.

Edited by DrDareustein

This offense is all wrong for fitz. He does have a decent arm, but he cannot make all the throws and has accuracy problems. He also seems to do little in the way of touch passes. He likes to step into every throw.

Some of his better deeper throws have come with two tight end sets and play action.

Look at Houston, SF or even Indys offense.

I would like to see more 2WR2TE1RB or 2WR1TE2RB sets. If they want to spread out they can do it with that personnel who could also run power runs, sweeps, or passes. You have more protection options. It seems like the roster is better equipped for this. Keep more blockers in and run deeper patterns where WRs have more time to adjust to inaccurate passes. Use rb's and te's to chip the pass rush before going out.

Capitalize on fitz's best deeper pass which is 15-20 yards deep over the middle.

Capitalize on good pass catching and route running big bodies like chandler and Dickerson who can also help spring CJ and Fred as run blockers.

Ditch the spread as a base and ditch the 5 wr sets. Stop trying to fool them and eventually outsmarting yourself and starting focusing on outplaying them.

Stop wasting roster spots on "package" players and student players who have the skill but not the phd in chanfence. Stop running an offense so complicated it takes years to grasp, doesn't win you any superbowls, keeps speed and talent on the bench and is so nuanced you are missing 5 yard hitches because of discrepant reads with your best players.

Spend a full week of practice throwing to the deep left sideline over and over and over !!!! Don't use if it can't connect.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood