Hire this man now! Doug Whaley as GM

mellaman101

Great guy here in Pittsburgh and people were outraged when he took a job with the Bills. This guy is very football smart and has a keen eye for drafting.

What the heck else do the Bills have to lose? I think this guy is a gem in our front office. Hope Ralph will see that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley is actually the guy on whom I've been hanging my hopes that the team stays in Buffalo. Here's an up and coming front office star working for The Steelers - one of the most well-run organizations in pro sports. Instead of holding out for a true GM gig, he takes the assistant GM gig with The Bills - a poorly run organization on the verge of an ownership change and hence a completely uncertain future. Why would he take this job? There has to be a plan in place. In any business, all bets are off if you are in a management position and a new boss comes in. You might keep your job, you might not. Why would a guy with a job at a first-class franchise, a great resume and a promising future take a job with a pathetic franchise facing such upheaval? He's either an absolute fool (and I can't believe that based on his history) or he was promised a GM job when the time was right. And that promise could only be made if there's already a succession plan in place. Otherwise, how could they make a commitment to him? There's no need for him to gamble and hope for the best. If that were the case, he would've been better off staying in Pittsburgh. Anyone else with me on this?

Why do you think just because he's the Assistant GM he has absolutely no input? You do know he works for us and has a job to do right? How in the world do any of you know that he's not part of the problem or in line with all the decisions his boss has made? I'm not saying he has agreed, but you don't know he doesn't.

Hate to tell you guys this but Nix has done a good job!

Why do you think just because he's the Assistant GM he has absolutely no input? You do know he works for us and has a job to do right? How in the world do any of you know that he's not part of the problem or in line with all the decisions his boss has made? I'm not saying he has agreed, but you don't know he doesn't.

Good Job really, u call 4-7 in his 3rd yr a good job. Like I said before if u count his picks other then the first round let's say 2nd and 3rd rounds those are the money picks he has done a terrible job. Cordy Glenn has been his only good pick in those rounds in his 3yrs with us. That's 1player out of 6. He continues to pass on talent at almost every other positions other than RB. Arron Williams over Kaepernick or Dalton should get this man fired right away, or maybe it was Terrel Troup over Gronk or Daryl Washington or how bout CARRINGTON OVER GRAHAM.

WOW we could of had both Gronk and Graham instead of Carrington and Troup. Wow, wow wow, what VISION WE HAVE. WHAT A GREAT JOB BUDDY

Whaley is actually the guy on whom I've been hanging my hopes that the team stays in Buffalo. Here's an up and coming front office star working for The Steelers - one of the most well-run organizations in pro sports. Instead of holding out for a true GM gig, he takes the assistant GM gig with The Bills - a poorly run organization on the verge of an ownership change and hence a completely uncertain future. Why would he take this job? There has to be a plan in place. In any business, all bets are off if you are in a management position and a new boss comes in. You might keep your job, you might not. Why would a guy with a job at a first-class franchise, a great resume and a promising future take a job with a pathetic franchise facing such upheaval? He's either an absolute fool (and I can't believe that based on his history) or he was promised a GM job when the time was right. And that promise could only be made if there's already a succession plan in place. Otherwise, how could they make a commitment to him? There's no need for him to gamble and hope for the best. If that were the case, he would've been better off staying in Pittsburgh. Anyone else with me on this?

. Yeh stc, I am pretty much with you on this one. We might be in a minority though

I have this conspiracy theory that he is already appointed GM...and are awaiting the final seconds after the Jests game

...to cut Chix loose

Man I hope so Nix has done a poor job of getting talent on this roster and Chan is way too pass happy and has Fitz and SJ questioning his playcallling.

Maybe Greg Roman will want to come back closer to home growing as he grew up in NJ and his father is the great Strength coach Dr. Ken Liestner who ran Iron Island Gym in Long Island.

I like your way of thinking but God only knows. Maybe Nix gets his QB of the future and bails after the draft like they did to Modrak as he had too much time invested into that draft year.

Really?!

2010 draft a complete waste besides Spiller,

2011 might have some ok players,

and we have already cut or traded 4 picks from this years class and it's not like we are so loaded with talent that they couldn't be guys who should be able to contribute.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Whaley? Ah, yes.... why do you think Ralph would hire him in the first place? Simple, because he meets the typical OBD "lemming" criteria.

It's beyond me that people really think that any change in the Bills organization (under the current ownnership) will make any difference in terms of wins and losses.

Keep sipping that koolaid. It cannot possibly happen until a new owner signs on.

Nobody with a legitimately bright future in the league is coming to Buffalo (edit: or otherwise gunning to lead this franchise).

The list of reasons is a mile long, but we could probably start with: the ownership situation, the lack of a franchise QB, the size of the market, no #1 overall pick, etc.

It's both painfully clear and completely heartbreaking.

That said, we're still an NFL franchise, and that's still enough prestige to attract plenty of candidates, just none that anyone else likely wants.

Edited by MRM33064

On the roster he has done a good job given what we had when he took over. However, I think he made two big mistakes - choice of HC and lack of prioritizing the QB position early in his tenure. One or both will come back to bite him. There is a possibility that Gailey advised him we are are fine at QB and if so, the first mistake becomes bigger.

I am on board with Whaley for GM if only to not see a total change of direction (change 4-3 back to 3-4 etc). The roster build is going fine and if the above problems are fixed, we should do well next year. Yesterday, it was the coaches that really blew the game.

Great guy here in Pittsburgh and people were outraged when he took a job with the Bills. This guy is very football smart and has a keen eye for drafting.

What the heck else do the Bills have to lose? I think this guy is a gem in our front office. Hope Ralph will see that.

Gem? Honestly, are you serious?

Man, Bills fans may be the best fans in the world, but we never learn a damn thing.

Talk is cheap my friend. Very cheap. If you haven't learned that after having been a Bills fan over the last decade, then I don't think you'll ever learn.

Talk about a major-league roll of the dice ala Buddy Nix. You and anyone else that really thinks that Whaley, with absolutely no experience, is a solution for this team, have fully earned the plight that this franchise is now in in an ongoing basis.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Nobody with a legitimately bright future in the league is coming to Buffalo (edit: or otherwise gunning to lead this franchise).

The list of reasons is a mile long, but we could probably start with: the ownership situation, the lack of a franchise QB, the size of the market, no #1 overall pick, etc.

It's both painfully clear and completely heartbreaking.

That said, we're still an NFL franchise, and that's still enough prestige to attract plenty of candidates, just none that anyone else likely wants.

And that's a loser mentality. I'm glad you were in charge of getting Mario here. It's a NFL job with a borderline playoff roster. You get a guy here and tell them they can draft a QB, while keeping a guy who has started a bunch of NFL games on the roster, a defense that is finally showing it's talent, a top 10 oline, and maybe the most explosive rb in the NFL. There is a lot of talent that is being held back by 2 positions (head coach and QB).

IMO, this could be a very attractive opportunity. IF you make the playoffs here, you'd be a god. But we need the right people selling it.