Sucks to be WGR 550

bobinaz

Murphy is an employee of the Bills not WGR and he is still pretty blunt about the teams prospects.

This morning Buddy Nix threatened to end his weekly interview if they didn't stop with the questions about Chan and Fitz. I don't hear much "company line" toting.

I dont think the Schopp and Bulldog show is painful to listen to as Chans is. I get what the OP was saying about Simon having to bite his tongue along with Jeremy. I think that the Fitz and Chan shows are an example of the company line where the questions are soft rather than incisive.

I think you are confusing the "company line" for simply being respectful. I have heard Chan, and Fitz get plenty of uncomfortable questions...and they deflect them, just as you would expect. I seriously doubt that Chan or Fitz have hung up the phone, after their shows, thinking "wow...that was awesome!" It is just making the best out of a bad situation. The GR personalities give plenty of their opinions, and I don't think anyone who really listens would come away thinking they sugar-coat anything because they are the Bills flag-ship station. They may not be as emphatic when they are talking to either guy, because that would get them nowhere... maybe, like Buddy today, one of them snaps and gives it back to them..but in the end, they still have to do a show every week...winning solves all these problems.

Honestly, in any sport, any media, jock/coach interview shows are rarely insightful...it is kind of a tradition...the only thing that normally makes them newsworthy is when somebody does snap...

Edited by Buftex

LOL. If you pine for that lowlife you really are clueless.

Yeah, he was a bit of a blowhard, no doubt...but he was, at one time, the only guy that GR had that really knew the game...didn't really like his style, but there was a certain amount of credibility and knowledge that nobody else had. He was an opinionated SOB, but he did know the nuances of the game.

I remember he had to talk about hockey too. That was awful and embarrassing. I remember one playoff (I think it was the 99 run?) he was trying to wage some big crusade against Hasek.

Lol. i remember his attempt at talking hockey. It was pathetic. I'll never forget Brian Holzinger had a show with Chuck. Everyone wanted to bar-b-q Holzinger for his lame effort trying to move Brett Hull in front of the net during No Goal. Chuck just gave him a pass. Really integrity there huh? Chuck did know football but you had to sit through all the obnoxious egotistical raving to get to it. Come to think of it, its been decades without a really good show. Last one I can think of was Murph's one on one sports in the late 80's/early 90's. Sad.

Lol. i remember his attempt at talking hockey. It was pathetic. I'll never forget Brian Holzinger had a show with Chuck. Everyone wanted to bar-b-q Holzinger for his lame effort trying to move Brett Hull in front of the net during No Goal. Chuck just gave him a pass. Really integrity there huh? Chuck did know football but you had to sit through all the obnoxious egotistical raving to get to it. Come to think of it, its been decades without a really good show. Last one I can think of was Murph's one on one sports in the late 80's/early 90's. Sad.

I thought WNSA had a good mix. Nothing was outstanding, but you had Howard SImon, Brinson (who annoyed me, but brought other sports (basketball) to the table), and Schopp before the WGR producers told him to get a shtick.

Best show of all time though was Art Wander. He kept me out of so much trouble as a youth because we would spend so much time pranking his show. Wehn we werent pranking his show, we were coming up with new prank calls for his show. I think by osmosis, I acquired a lot of my jaded/cynical views of sports from him.

Chan's pressers are embarrassing. Nobody wants to talk about the elephants in the room, so they ask him about injuries.

How about "Why is Tavaris Jackson here"? or "Why do you go spread and throw the ball on 3rd and short"?.

The Kevin Sylvester show is horrible. If they were going to go local from 10-12 over Cowherd they should've tried bringing Brad Riter or Nick Mendola back. Not a fan of the doom and gloom with Schopp and the Bulldog. With two poorly ran franchises in the city though it should be expected.

Yeah, he was a bit of a blowhard, no doubt...but he was, at one time, the only guy that GR had that really knew the game...didn't really like his style, but there was a certain amount of credibility and knowledge that nobody else had. He was an opinionated SOB, but he did know the nuances of the game.

Blowhard is the best way to describe Dickerson. I am sure he did know the game reasonably well but a lot of his coaching plays that he would try to explain in his show seemed to be pulled right from his butt. What finished me listening to him was his constant criticism of Flutie and his unconditional love of Johnson even after Johnson was proved a fraud. Funny that people have mentioned the hockey shows. They were truly cringeworthy!

This was at the end of Tim Graham's lengthy article in the News today about players speaking up or speaking out of turn:

Bulletin-board material is no locker-room myth.

“Anything you say that can be bent or misconstrued or even taken out of context that another team can put up on their bulletin board will lose you football games,” Tasker said. “Plain and simple. There’s no getting around it.

“If you have one player on your team come out and say a player on the other team stinks, particularly if you pick a beloved member of that other team, that team will rise up and cave your head in. I’ve seen it happen time and again.”

Tasker, without mentioning him by name, still sounds amazed when discussing how much Bills defensive line coach Chuck Dickerson riled up the Washington Redskins before Super Bowl XXVI. Dickerson poked fun of the Redskins’ famed Hogs offensive line.

“I’ve never seen or played against a team or covered a team that would’ve beaten the Washington Redskins after our assistant coach said what he said,” said Tasker, now an analyst for CBS Sports. “They’ll tell you that was hugely inspiring for them. Believe me, I’ve asked them.”