[I suggest a trade for] Alex Smith

djsabres

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I did not want to start a new one.

I am warming up to the idea of the Bills trading for Alex Smith. I read here (and take the opinion of those that follow college football) that there are no franchise QBs in the upcoming draft but there are several in the 2014 draft. Given that, perhaps it may be a good idea to trade a 4th (maybe 3rd worst case) to the 9ers for Smith. Then draft a QB in the first round of 2014. Allow that QB to learn under Smith. Several advantages:

- Draft LB and WR in the top two rounds in 2012 making this team fairly stacked on both sides of the ball

- Makes us serious contenders for the playoffs in 2013

- Buys us 2-3 years for development of true 'franchise QB'

I realize that Smith is not top flight talent but he is stronger armed than Fitz and less prone to making critical mistakes. This alone allows Gailey (or his successor) to open up the playbook and make opposing teams have to defend the entire field.

Opinions ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I did not want to start a new one.

I am warming up to the idea of the Bills trading for Alex Smith. I read here (and take the opinion of those that follow college football) that there are no franchise QBs in the upcoming draft but there are several in the 2014 draft. Given that, perhaps it may be a good idea to trade a 4th (maybe 3rd worst case) to the 9ers for Smith. Then draft a QB in the first round of 2014. Allow that QB to learn under Smith. Several advantages:

- Draft LB and WR in the top two rounds in 2012 making this team fairly stacked on both sides of the ball

- Makes us serious contenders for the playoffs in 2013

- Buys us 2-3 years for development of true 'franchise QB'

I realize that Smith is not top flight talent but he is stronger armed than Fitz and less prone to making critical mistakes. This alone allows Gailey (or his successor) to open up the playbook and make opposing teams have to defend the entire field.

Opinions ?

I would not mind seeing Smith AND a Draft pick in 2013...Thing is, if I could be convinced The Bills Defense would be MUCH improved next year, I'd be more excited about grabbing a QB like Smith for a year or two...

But I'd rather see The Bills simply Draft a QB in 2013 and play him from day #1...I understand the growing pains part...But at this point that does not phase me much..I still think The Bills have plenty of talent on the Offensive side with Spiller, Freddie, CJ, TJ in his 2nd year...Nelson coming back, a solid O-Line, etc...I think the right Rookie could come in and do OK...We'll see... B-)

But I'd rather see The Bills simply Draft a QB in 2013 and play him from day #1...I understand the growing pains part...But at this point that does not phase me much..I still think The Bills have plenty of talent on the Offensive side with Spiller, Freddie, CJ, TJ in his 2nd year...Nelson coming back, a solid O-Line, etc...I think the right Rookie could come in and do OK...We'll see... B-)

I think where you are going is that if a true Manning, Brady, RGIII type is not available in 2013, we can win with a Flacco or Matt Ryan type of QB. And I would be on board with that idea also.

My post was suggesting a scenario in which the FO believes there is too much risk in drafting a first rd QB in 2013. if Smith becomes available for a trade, the FO will have to decide soon what to do - cover themselves for 2013, 14. The pressure to draft a QB high in 2013 becomes significantly less and attention can be paid to the other critical needs. But, as Joe wonders also, what would be Smith's draft price ?

Based on nothing other than feel, I was thinking 3rd with conditional 4th. Its not like Aaron Rodgers is coming on the market. Smith will have been shunned by 9ers 2x now. No one stepped up big for him in the latest off season when he shopping himself around. IMO 2nd is clearly too high for him

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Based on nothing other than feel, I was thinking more like 3rd with conditional 4th. Its not like Aaron Rodgers is coming on the market. Smith will have been shunned by 9ers 2x now. No one stepped up big for him in the latest off season when he shopping himself around. IMO 2nd is clearly too high for him

I certainly would not want The Bills to give up a 2nd round pick for Smith...But...I don't know...A 3rd and maybe another pick? A desperate team could pay more, but who is that desperate? We'll see I guess... B-)

I certainly would not want The Bills to give up a 2nd round pick for Smith...But...I don't know...A 3rd and maybe another pick? A desperate team could pay more, but who is that desperate? We'll see I guess... B-)

If he ends up on the market, he would have lost his job to a.2nd rd pick. So unless the demand is big for hia services, he should be worth no more than a third rounder. And our 3rd rd pick will be quite high-ish

Alex Smith = Trent Edwards. His best talent is not turning the ball over and that's about it.

Our present QB does not seem to have that talent, in fact 2 or 3 less turnovers this season and none of us would be laughing whenever a fellow Bills fan mentions playoffs.

Edited by angryfan62

What harm will it do? Bring in Alex Smith, Chad Henne, Matt Flynn. Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel, Mike Vick, Philip Rivers, Someone!

Hell give me And Reid, Tony Sporano, Jason Garrett, Sean Peyton, Somone!

This Bills situation has been played out long enough. Buffalo needs an enema.

Alex Smith = Trent Edwards. His best talent is not turning the ball over and that's about it.

That was the ALex Smith of 2008. Alex Smith had a new OC every single year of his career until Harbaugh. He is a totally different player now having been under Harbaugh.

Its not uncommon for the light to go on for a player (drew Brees comes to mind) and I think it came on for Smith.

Smith/(new backup)/Nassib in '13

Smith will not be a Niner after this season

Fitz needs to go somewhere else to be a backup

TJax for backup? Apparently a year may just be enough to learn the playbook.

Kid coming out of the Cuse has a lot of raw tools for grooming. Should be there for us in 3rd.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

To say Smith isn't much better than Fitzpatrick is ridiculous. The problems with Fitz couldn't be more evident than in the game against the Colts. He left alot of points out on the field. Smith may not be great but he can hit wide open receivers. People say Smith has it easy because the 9ers have a strong running game. So do we. Are defense isn't nearly as good but atleast they are showing signs of improving. I would be all for giving up a 3rd for Smith and using the draft to address our problems at linebacker.

Smith/(new backup)/Nassib in '13

Smith will not be a Niner after this season

Fitz needs to go somewhere else to be a backup

TJax for backup? Apparently a year may just be enough to learn the playbook.

Kid coming out of the Cuse has a lot of raw tools for grooming. Should be there for us in 3rd.

Nassib is a real NFL contender. He can read a defense well and has the tools.

If our QBs in 2013 were Alex Smith, and then Nassib and Gleanon in the draft, I would love it.

EDIT: I would add in that TCU QB who got suspended for a DUI. add him undrafted and see what hes got.

Edited by peterpan

That was the ALex Smith of 2008. Alex Smith had a new OC every single year of his career until Harbaugh. He is a totally different player now having been under Harbaugh.

Its not uncommon for the light to go on for a player (drew Brees comes to mind) and I think it came on for Smith.

That's it right there. Alex Smith finally had someone take him under his wing and teach him how to be an NFL QB. He is going to make a good QB for someone next year.