RGIII deal in retrospect

Bronc24

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This^^ With the way the Bills have drafted, those picks are not quite as important as people think. I was all for trading up for RGIII although the skins were in much better position to do so.

Losing draft picks for 2-3 years is not the big a deal when you lock up your Franchise QB for 10-12 years.

Would you give up Roscoe Parrish, Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch and Lee Evans for Big Ben?

RG3 has also been far more efficient than Newton. The comparisons are foolish and, frankly, borderline racist.

It might not be quite that dramatic. Cam Newton was a 1 year wonder, and RG3 was not well-known across the country until his senior (or technically junior after the redshirt) season. So there is a little similarity that they both "came out of nowhere" in the general hype factory sense.

Their games, builds, etc. are not very comparable however. No disagreement on that. :)

Agreed. I compared RG3 to Steve Young because of his size, accuracy, & his ability to run if no one is open.

right, but have you looked at steve young lately? hes not.... well, this is awkward.... i guess you could say that steve young was a high motor player.

But they are different races!!!

Gannon was kinda of a dink & dunker. RG3 throws bombs. It's crazy how accurate he is for the amount of long throws he attempts. He's amazing.

RG3 throws bombs or short passes, from what I've seen.

I think the moral of the story is that trading 3 first round picks is a cheap price to pay for a franchise QB. I realize that no QB prospect is a lock to succeed, but Luck and RG III were as safe as it gets. If the bills are ever in position where they can trade 3 firsts for an elite QB prospect, I hope they do it.

Just a clarification on your post. The Skins traded two first round picks, not three. In last year's draft they exchanged draft positions with the Rams so in essence they didn't lose a first round pick. They used their exchanged pick to take RGIII. Whether the Skins traded two or three first round picks doesn't really matter. The deal has worked out magnificantly for the Skins. Elite prospects such as Luck, RGIII, Eli and Peyton Manning, Elway, Rothlisberger, Jim Kelly etc are worth a boatload of picks. These are franchise changing players who have an incredible elevating effect on a franchise for a decade or more. The bottom line is that the brain trust for the perennial losing Bills felt that Fitz was more than an adequate qb to move this franchise forward. Comedy Central should set up their studio at OBD.

Just a clarification on your post. The Skins traded two first round picks, not three. In last year's draft they exchanged draft positions with the Rams so in essence they didn't lose a first round pick. They used their exchanged pick to take RGIII. Whether the Skins traded two or three first round picks doesn't really matter. The deal has worked out magnificantly for the Skins. Elite prospects such as Luck, RGIII, Eli and Peyton Manning, Elway, Rothlisberger, Jim Kelly etc are worth a boatload of picks. These are franchise changing players who have an incredible elevating effect on a franchise for a decade or more. The bottom line is that the brain trust for the perennial losing Bills felt that Fitz was more than an adequate qb to move this franchise forward. Comedy Central should set up their studio at OBD.

If you trade three picks and get one back, you've traded three first round picks. That being said, yes, it was an excellent deal for Washington.

you can state that absolutely after 11 games? That include 6 losses?

As I have noted on other postings I live in the MD/DC area so I have an opportunity to see him more than most posters. The team's record has little to do with his play, mostly it is a reflection of a poor defense ravaged by injuries. He is a type of qb prospect that comes along once every decade or so. He has it all. Both he and Luck are going to be the Peyton Manning and Tom Brady qb combo for the next decade or more, assuming they stay healthy. So far he has good stats. However, when you watch him play they understate how good he really is. Trust me on this issue. It is a very easy judgment for me to make.

Edited by JohnC

As I have noted on other postings I live in the MD/DC area so I have an opportunity to see him more than most posters. The team's record has little to do with his play, mostly it is a reflection of a poor defense ravaged by injuries. He is a type of qb prospect that comes along once every decade or so. He has it all. Both he and Luck are going to be the Peyton Manning and Tom Brady qb combo for the next decade or more, assuming they stay healthy. So far he has good stats. However, when you watch him play they understate how good he really is. Trust me on this issue. It is a very easy judgment for me to make.

I have read on here many times it takes 2-3 years to grade a draft and I agree. What I find amusing is many RG fans here are the same ones who put Cam on a pedestal last year and now are saying no no this is no flash in the pan like Newton! he's the real deal!

I have read on here many times it takes 2-3 years to grade a draft and I agree. What I find amusing is many RG fans here are the same ones who put Cam on a pedestal last year and now are saying no no this is no flash in the pan like Newton! he's the real deal!

Cam Newton is a physical specimen with off the chart tools who is playing on a rebuilding team. The difference between RGIII and Newton is that RG is a much more mature person, player and student of the game. Although the Panthers don't have a good record that doesn't mean that Newton isn't going to be a very good qb. He is going to have to go through the developmental process as most young players do. What sets RGIII and Luck apart from other prospects is that they come to the pro ranks with an understanding of the game that most, especially qbs, prospects don't already have.

Don't write off Newton. Give him time and he will be a very good player. With respect to RGIII and Luck they are both (my opinion) going to be special players in this league for a very long time, assuming good health. If it appears that I am being too cocksure about both Luck and RGIII being special players I ask for your indulgence. On this topic I am trusting my eyes. I'm confident in my position.

The below attached recording is an interview on WGR with Buddy Nix. It is an 18 minute segment. You only have to listen to the fist half where he is talking about Luck and RGIII.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/66900667/11-23-buddy-nix-says-the-defense-is-coming-together.htm

I don't think I had a single post about Cam. Also, RG3 has been far more efficient than Newton. Newton put up yards, but also a ton of picks and incompletions; RG3 doesn't make many mistakes. Yes, the RGIII trade was a great deal.

Cam Newton is a physical specimen with off the chart tools who is playing on a rebuilding team. The difference between RGIII and Newton is that RG is a much more mature person, player and student of the game. Although the Panthers don't have a good record that doesn't mean that Newton isn't going to be a very good qb. He is going to have to go through the developmental process as most young players do. What sets RGIII and Luck apart from other prospects is that they come to the pro ranks with an understanding of the game that most, especially qbs, prospects don't already have.

Don't write off Newton. Give him time and he will be a very good player. With respect to RGIII and Luck they are both (my opinion) going to be special players in this league for a very long time, assuming good health. If it appears that I am being too cocksure about both Luck and RGIII being special players I ask for your indulgence. On this topic I am trusting my eyes. I'm confident in my position.

The below attached recording is an interview on WGR with Buddy Nix. It is an 18 minute segment. You only have to listen to the fist half where he is talking about Luck and RGIII.

http://audio.wgr550....ng-together.htm

Thanks but I will hold to a 2-3 year evaluation before I call anyone great. or a bust.

I don't think I had a single post about Cam. Also, RG3 has been far more efficient than Newton. Newton put up yards, but also a ton of picks and incompletions; RG3 doesn't make many mistakes. Yes, the RGIII trade was a great deal.

I never said you personally. I am saying 1 year ago this place was calling Cam the second coming of Christ. Now look.

Cam is a flash in the pan? So his stats aren't great, but the talent is obviously there, I'm not about to write him off yet. I'd take him over Fitz, we might still miss the playoffs, but at least he could improve, whereas Fitz has peaked.

Cam is a flash in the pan? So his stats aren't great, but the talent is obviously there, I'm not about to write him off yet. I'd take him over Fitz, we might still miss the playoffs, but at least he could improve, whereas Fitz has peaked.

Is this "talent" appropriate for a QB or a wrestler? Everyone looks at a big arm fast QB and says he has the tools he just needs time. I have heard this over and over. The names are now on the dustbin of NFL history.

Is this "talent" appropriate for a QB or a wrestler? Everyone looks at a big arm fast QB and says he has the tools he just needs time. I have heard this over and over. The names are now on the dustbin of NFL history.

The difference between Cam and a guy like Russell or Losman is that Cam hasn't been bad; he's been average. He will always be an NFL starter, but, yes, it is somewhat up in the air as to whether he can become elite.