The team is not out of Playoff Hunt

djp14150

If, IF the Colts come back to earth a little, and IF we can beat MIA tomorrow and the Colts lose to NE this weekend, things won't look so bad anymore. At that point the Bills control their own destiny for a playoff birth, assuming the Colts at best split with Houston.

Now, I'm not saying the Bills have shown enough to make us believe they can win a bunch of these games down the stretch, and I'm not even saying that I'd prefer they sneak into the playoffs and get crushed opposed to getting a higher draft pick. I'm just just saying that at 5-6 there would be a path to the playoffs in a weak AFC.

Edited by BuffaloATL

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had a QB

If we had some LB's

If we had another CB

If "Super" Mario showed up

If we could win on the road

If we could win within the division

If we didn't have a moron coach who calls idiotic plays at critical times

If we had a front office that could draft

If we could just win instead of finding ways to lose

THEN we would make the playoffs. Way too may IF's.......................

Edited by Azucho98

If we had a QB

If we had some LB's

If we had another CB

If "Super" Mario showed up

If we could win on the road

If we could win within the division

If we didn't have a moron coach who calls idiotic plays at critical times

If we had a front office that could draft

If we could just win instead of finding ways to lose

THEN we would make the playoffs. Way too may IF's.......................

But here's the thing: If all those "IF"s happened, we'd be a top team in the league. To make the playoffs this year in the AFC, you don't need all those IFs to happen. You just have to be better than the Colts the rest of the way. A 9-7 team will make it in from the AFC, and MAYBE an 8-8 team. Really, we didn't play all that badly the past couple of weeks, and we played better than most of the sub-.500 teams in the AFC. I'm not saying we're good, but we might be the 6th best team in the AFC.

Edited by BuffaloATL

thatll be typical.

The Bills get in the playoffs and everyone hates them because they knock off the NFL's feel-good story.

Id take Bills @ Pats in the first round though.

It's not that far fetched.... IF we can win these next two games!!

Indy going 9-7 or 8-8 is plausible if you assume they lose to NE, Houston twice and Detroit at Ford Field. That's 7 losses right there, a loss to Buffalo would be 8.

The question though, is whether Buffalo is capable of pulling off 6 wins in 7 games (or 5 wins as long as the 2nd loss isn't to the Colts) which would be needed to at least tie with the Colts at 9-7 or 8-8....where I would assume Buffalo would have the tiebreaker.

to be honest, as bad as they've been...they are 2 plays away from being 5-4. they should have never lost against the titans and a different route by a rookie receiver and they beat the pats. i know...woulda, shoulda, coulda doesn't count. but fitz actually played well last game and if he can keep that up and we continue using cj and fred (when he gets healthy) like we did then there's no reason we couldn't win out as far fetched as that seems. at the start of the year when everyone thought the bills were going to be the surprise team of the year, even then most of us would agree they would probably only have 1 more win than they do now at this point in the season. even though the colts and rams and seahawks are better than anticipated, i think we can still beat them. nothing about those teams makes me think it's a sure thing loss. and now Miami is looking bad again. i guess we'll see tomorrow!

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

Edited by kdiggz

The Bills have been "2 plays away" from the playoffs for 13 years now.

Anything is possible until they are mathematically eliminated. But they have left themselves no room for error. We will see what happens tomorrow night.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Honestly, I think the Colts are a better team.

They have a 3-game lead on us.

And our head-to-head matchup is in Indianapolis.

I find it very unlikely that 9-7 will be enough to make the playoffs. To have a shot, we will have to win out. And even though our remaining schedule is relatively "easy" we still have to play three division games (which we almost never win) and two games against teams with winning records (which we almost never win).

Although - in typical Bills fashion - I could see us winning the next 6 games. Then with the playoffs on the line, losing 45-0 to a Tim Tebow led Jets squad.

Although - in typical Bills fashion - I could see us winning the next 6 games. Then with the playoffs on the line, losing 45-0 to a Tim Tebow led Jets squad.

That's what I feared when I first saw the schedule. I figured the Bills would be playing the Jets the last game of the season and a win would mean a playoff spot and we would get destroyed. Typical Bills. Reminds me of that one year when we needed a win the last game of the year against the Steelers and they had already clinched and Cowher played his 2nd and 3rd string guys and we still lost!

2 WC spots up for grabs. It's a very very slim chance. I'd still love to see a 9-7 record.

AFC NORTH - Steelers, and Cinci. BigBen is down for who knows how long and they went to OT with the Chiefs at home. The Bungles remaining schedule is almost as easy a a Buffalo's.

AFC Central - Colts (will fall to earth cus Luck aint Manning) and Titans. The Colts have to play Houston twice, Tenny again (OT win), NE, Buff. The Titans remaining schedule is almost as easy a a Buffalo's.

AFC West - the Chargers with Norv are not doing well.

On Any Given Sunday .... May the Football Gods shine on Buffalo.

The Bengals schedule is almost as easy as Buffalo's down the stretch? LOLWUTTTTT

Their next 3 games should all be wins: KC, OAK, SD. I will call Dallas a toss up but I lean toward Cinci with it being a December outdoors game, and Philly a likely win, but I don't see them winning 6 in a row either so one of the NFC east games could be a loss. Pittsburgh and Baltimore down the stretch is tough, could be another 2 losses. At 4-5 that puts them at 9-7 at best. Same as where I think the Colts could likely end up.

But those are the only 2 teams between Buffalo and a playoff spot I worry about. I don't think the Jets, Raiders, Chargers, or Titans are any more capable of a 6-1 or 5-2 stretch than our collection of bungling idiots due to their own problems. Lump the Dolphins in there too because with 2 games left against the Pats and 1 against the 49ers....there's 3 more losses for them (8 total).

Out of this whole group, if ANY team has a favorable schedule comparable to Buffalo, it is the Jets.

I find it very unlikely that 9-7 will be enough to make the playoffs.

That would mean the Cots finishing on a 3-4 stetch and anyone else with a sub-.500 record having to go at least 5-4. Seems very likely to me, unless the Colts keep it up.

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

Thought of this one when I posted this morning. LOL.

That would mean the Cots finishing on a 3-4 stetch and anyone else with a sub-.500 record having to go at least 5-4. Seems very likely to me, unless the Colts keep it up.

What makes you think the Colts can't keep it up?

They were a perennial playoff team for over a decade - with 2 Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl win, until the Manning injury last year.

That whole team was built around Manning. It was clear they had no backup plan at QB and after a couple tough losses, the team QUIT.

It should have been very clear that talent-wise, Indianapolis was better than it's 1-15 record in 2011.

Now that the team has some hope at the quarterback position, that veteran talent (Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney) is stepping up again.

Not to mention, Andrew Luck is getting better almost every week. Even as a rookie, there is a good chance he will be a top 10-15 quarterback by season's end.

Don't be surprised if they upset New England this week...

For the Sunday scoreboard watchers, we want:

Chiefs over Bengals (1pm)

Broncos over Chargers (4:25pm)

Patriots over Colts (4:25pm)

Ravens over Steelers (8:20pm)

The latter two are the most important.

Next Sunday's game against the Colts is must-win and should have a playoff game atmosphere for the Bills' coaches and players.