Patriots Fines from Bills Game Announced

Gray Beard

From ESPN...

New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes was fined $25,000 for his hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick last Sunday that later prompted Fitzpatrick to call him a "punk at times."

Spikes, who said Thursday that he was anticipating a fine, was penalized on the play, which came with 10:36 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Patriots' 37-31 win. After the play, Fitzpatrick -- who had his helmet knocked off by the hit -- got in Spikes' space.

In addition, Patriots rookie cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was fined $7,875 for unnecessary roughness for a late hit on Fitzpatrick, which came out of bounds in the second quarter. And Pats linebacker Jerod Mayo, who tackled C.J. Spiller after the Bills' running back ran out of bounds, was fined $10,000 for the late hit.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8640224/brandon-spikes-new-england-patriots-fined-25000-hit-ryan-fitzpatrick-buffalo-bills

Good for them! The late CJ hit bugged me the most.

What bugs me the most is that we lost to them twice in and both games they physically abused us. They forced two fumbles on the 1 yard line, preventing 14 points to be scored on them. They knocked the crap out of Freddy Jackson twice. They knocked Scott Chandler into oblivion. They gve Fitz a smack down and not one Bill even said boo.

The fines are chump change to these guys. The Pats* have two wins against us once again. Until we muscle up with them we will continue to lose.

Tough game for tough men ... right Chan?

What bugs me the most is that we lost to them twice in and both games they physically abused us. They forced two fumbles on the 1 yard line, preventing 14 points to be scored on them. They knocked the crap out of Freddy Jackson twice. They knocked Scott Chandler into oblivion. They gve Fitz a smack down and not one Bill even said boo.

The fines are chump change to these guys. The Pats* have two wins against us once again. Until we muscle up with them we will continue to lose.

Tough game for tough men ... right Chan?

Could not have said it better. I don't think we need a Shockey, Incognito, or such on our team that borders on mediocre, but we need a Rob Ray. We have enough Michael Peca's to last us a lifetime.

Could not have said it better. I don't think we need a Shockey, Incognito, or such on our team that borders on mediocre, but we need a Rob Ray. We have enough Michael Peca's to last us a lifetime.

A punk like Spikes will get his. It is essential that players maintain their discipline and wait for the right moment to flatten this punk and hopefully our o-lineman will remember this next year. Which brings me to a guy like Peca. He was not the biggest guy, but was a multidimensional player who played hard and IMHO was technically one of the most proficient players to lay a body check in the league. He could flat out crush people because he timed his hits and positioned himself perfectly. A guy like that can be even more intimidating than a one dimensional enforcer type player because it forced the opposing teams players to keep their "head on a swivel" when he was on the ice. I would take a team full of Peca's any day!

glad to hear it. I was worried Pats would get a pass. again.

Even if it's only symbolic.

Another note from that game, was, the Bills are the only ones who have control about how much they get pushed around and i would guess they have learned that lesson.

Stop letting opposing players take your milk money !!

since the hall monitor is getting paid to look the other way. lol

And a damned dirty one under today's rules. He used to absolutely debilitate people.

Probably not the best example for the point the poster was trying to make.

Not to turn this into a hockey thread but how was he dirty? All of his hits were legal, even by "today's rules" as you stated. He was also rarely targeted for retribution because his hits were clean and on players that had their heads down. His hip and body checks were textbook. If you thought Peca was dirty, I hate to hear what you think of Patty Kaleta.....

Not to turn this into a hockey thread but how was he dirty? All of his hits were legal, even by "today's rules" as you stated. He was also rarely targeted for retribution because his hits were clean and on players that had their heads down. His hip and body checks were textbook. If you thought Peca was dirty, I hate to hear what you think of Patty Kaleta.....

His hits definitely were not legal by today's rules! His trademark move was a check starting low and ending with a shoulder to the jaw. We didn't call him "captain crunch" for nothing. He was targeted often, by guys like Domi, when he knocked star players out of games. And of course, there was Darcy Tucker.

Kaleta doesn't hit like Peca used to. No one hits like Peca used to. He left his skates on almost every check, especially open-ice checks, and those hits have been taken out of the game.

I don't want to turn this into a hockey thread either, or crowd the thread with a lot of videos, but try searching youtube for "Peca Gonchar," "Peca Ohlund," for hits, and "Peca Domi," or "Peca Konowalchuk" for retribution.

We didn't know then what we know now about concussions, so it was easy to root for him. But his hits don't exist in the game now.

In any event, I think we can agree that he was hardly a pansy.

Really. I think that you are over generalizing when you state that ALL of his hits were not legal. We can agree to disagree. Gonchar and Ohlund he did leave his feet on both open ice checks and yes they would be penalties today. However, how was he a dirty player when the rules at that time permited him to check in that fashion. In fact, he drew penalties from Gonchar and in the hit on Ohlund, from Mogilny (one of their best scoring wingers) going to the box.

Peca also made countless body and open ice checks that would be perfectly legal by the rules of hockey today. An example was his hit on Domi, which you gave as an example. Domi's head is down, he is carrying the puck and Peca levels him squarely with both feet clearly on the ice.

And yes, we do certainly both agree that he was not a pansy. Sorry but I take exception with the over generalizations and the dirty player comment when the rules allowed him to do what he did. Spikes clearly is a dirty player and the fine and on field penalty were indications of same.

Really. I think that you are over generalizing when you state that ALL of his hits were not legal. We can agree to disagree. Gonchar and Ohlund he did leave his feet on both open ice checks and yes they would be penalties today. However, how was he a dirty player when the rules at that time permited him to check in that fashion. In fact, he drew penalties from Gonchar and in the hit on Ohlund, from Mogilny (one of their best scoring wingers) going to the box.

Peca also made countless body and open ice checks that would be perfectly legal by the rules of hockey today. An example was his hit on Domi, which you gave as an example. Domi's head is down, he is carrying the puck and Peca levels him squarely with both feet clearly on the ice.

And yes, we do certainly both agree that he was not a pansy. Sorry but I take exception with the over generalizations and the dirty player comment when the rules allowed him to do what he did. Spikes clearly is a dirty player and the fine and on field penalty were indications of same.

He said by today's rules the hits would be. That's hardly a scathing indictment. Just saying he played rougher than the guys out there now.

He said by today's rules the hits would be. That's hardly a scathing indictment. Just saying he played rougher than the guys out there now.

So using Offsides argument, the "Night Train Necktie" perfected by Dick "Night Train" Lane would also be considered dirty under todays rules. It would be, but my point is that under the rules of the game at the time, tackling people by the head and neck was legal and to compare a player of yesterday with today's rules is an argument that I took exception with.