Does beating Dolphins mean anything anymore?

cage

I have to watch the game again. Unfortunately I had people over who wouldn't shut up and it was distracting me. I totally do not get the attitude over this game.

What I saw was a very conservative game plan while getting the ball to our two best playmakers. After all the complaints of Chan rolling the dice late in games I figured everyone would be happy we didn't make Fitz throw much.

So how did Chan almost lose the game?

PTR

I'm not going to say he almost lost the game but I will say he made some dubious play calls in the first half. Third and one and he used Choice in the wild cat. Third and one and he goes empty backfield. It's easy to be critical after the plays don't work, but I was questioning the plays before the ball was snapped. I didn't like the calls. I also did not like the clock management at the end of the first half. This may not be Chan's fault though. In the second half I thouhgt Miami adjusted well to what the Bills were doing in the first half but The Bills did not adjust. Miami brought more heat and maybe the Bils could have done a better job adjusting and making them pay.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still love to squish the fish. I used to work with a guy who was a die hard fish fan, and we would rib each other all the time about our teams. So every time we beat them I think of that guy knowing he is thinking of me enjoying the win.

I have similiar sentiments, spend a few youth years in Ft. Laud., unfortunatley during the time Miami owned us.

I went to several Bills Dolphins games at the Orange bowl, I think that we missed an extra point in one of them

and lost 31-30, so it is always meaningful to me. I think about all of the Dolphin Fan freinds and some relatives too

that have to be thinking how much I am enjoying it, and me thinking how miserable they are right now.

I'm not going to say he almost lost the game but I will say he made some dubious play calls in the first half. Third and one and he used Choice in the wild cat. Third and one and he goes empty backfield. It's easy to be critical after the plays don't work, but I was questioning the plays before the ball was snapped. I didn't like the calls. I also did not like the clock management at the end of the first half. This may not be Chan's fault though. In the second half I thouhgt Miami adjusted well to what the Bills were doing in the first half but The Bills did not adjust. Miami brought more heat and maybe the Bils could have done a better job adjusting and making them pay.

Does Miami playing good D matter at all? We act like when a play doesn't work it's all on us. It's never the other team making a play. That Tannehill TD pass was an example of a pass that is almost impossible to defend. But folks here will still call it a coverage breakdown. Also it's not an adjustment so much when the D figures out you are going to run CJ Spiller a lot and start keying on him.

But you know what? Chan will never do the right thing in our eyes because we will always think we know better. Go for the jugular? Should play it safe. Play it safe? Should be more aggressive. Give the ball to CJ more? We're giving the ball to him too much.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have to watch the game again. Unfortunately I had people over who wouldn't shut up and it was distracting me. I totally do not get the attitude over this game.

What I saw was a very conservative game plan while getting the ball to our two best playmakers. After all the complaints of Chan rolling the dice late in games I figured everyone would be happy we didn't make Fitz throw much.

PTR

Despite the majority of the game being conservative which I agree with BTW. It was horrible play calls at the wrong times over and over again. Wrong personnel over and over again.

Plays like a 3rd and 1 and you run the Wildcat AGAIN.

Plays where it's 3rd and short and you go deep.

Plays where it's 3rd and long and you think a pass for 3 yards is going to get the first down.

The plays (especially at the end of the half) that happened in the red zones where you didn't have Spiller in EVER.

The plays where it's 3rd and short and you have an empty backfield. Showing your hand that it can't possibly be a run.

Some of these (passing plays) could easily be Fitz fault. But in the end it all falls on the coach.

I was in the end zone they were working in right before the half. It was criminal that CJ wasn't in the game for 6 straight plays. In the end, the last 1-2 plays he didn't have any of his playmakers in there. The WR was Chandler with a big set in there. It's not conservative if you put in low risk plays and personnel and then don't act conservatively. Just run the damn ball.

Why is it that when CH was in we moved the chains between the 20s with ease, only to stop dead in our tracks in the red zones. It's not the fact that its harder to work down there. Sure that doesn't help, but the fact that you took your best offensive weapon out of the game in very important scoring situations should get Chan fired now.

The worst part is that Chan claimed he needed CJ so bad and most of the fans wanted him hung from a tree when he drafted CJ. Now CJ is proving to be potentially the most explosive player at his position in the league and Chan won't use him. And to top it off, we hear Chan in interviews say things like "we really need to find a way to get CJ more involved" absolutely criminal IMO.

Despite the majority of the game being conservative which I agree with BTW. It was horrible play calls at the wrong times over and over again. Wrong personnel over and over again.

Plays like a 3rd and 1 and you run the Wildcat AGAIN.

Plays where it's 3rd and short and you go deep.

Plays where it's 3rd and long and you think a pass for 3 yards is going to get the first down.

The plays (especially at the end of the half) that happened in the red zones where you didn't have Spiller in EVER.

The plays where it's 3rd and short and you have an empty backfield. Showing your hand that it can't possibly be a run.

Some of these (passing plays) could easily be Fitz fault. But in the end it all falls on the coach.

I was in the end zone they were working in right before the half. It was criminal that CJ wasn't in the game for 6 straight plays. In the end, the last 1-2 plays he didn't have any of his playmakers in there. The WR was Chandler with a big set in there. It's not conservative if you put in low risk plays and personnel and then don't act conservatively. Just run the damn ball.

Why is it that when CH was in we moved the chains between the 20s with ease, only to stop dead in our tracks in the red zones. It's not the fact that its harder to work down there. Sure that doesn't help, but the fact that you took your best offensive weapon out of the game in very important scoring situations should get Chan fired now.

The worst part is that Chan claimed he needed CJ so bad and most of the fans wanted him hung from a tree when he drafted CJ. Now CJ is proving to be potentially the most explosive player at his position in the league and Chan won't use him. And to top it off, we hear Chan in interviews say things like "we really need to find a way to get CJ more involved" absolutely criminal IMO.

So basically because plays don't work they are suspect? It can't possibly be that Miami's D is good. Also CJ Spiller is never to get a break in a game?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think what really took away from this outcome was the fact that Miami got dominated the entire game yet still had two chances at the end to win it....

I was thinking the entire time they would find another way to lose a game like this, especially a prime time game... It is what the Bills do.

Late in the fourth I was already mentally prepared to be crushed by them once again... Similar to the Arizona game, I feel very meh.. about this game. Should have won by 20+ easily.

Chan outsmarts himself.

Thats my opinion.

I am one the few I guess who like Chan. Even though he has outright sucked at times.

for now i am delighted with a W.

Seemed like the defense found the secret ingredient finally. all on the same page.

Frustrating and exciting game.

go Bills !

So basically because plays don't work they are suspect? It can't possibly be that Miami's D is good. Also CJ Spiller is never to get a break in a game?

PTR

Come on Promo. Your better than this. Of course the defense can play well. Of course CJ can get a break. But let's be serious. In 4 trips to the red zone, CJ wasn't in once. He was also in only a few times on 3rd down.

You don't win games regularly by leaving your best player in the sidelines inside the red zone. Chan played this game not to lose. Very Juronesque.

Sure, a win is a win. But just like the Arizona game, it felt like we got lucky enough to win it when it shouldn't have come down to it. But hey, if you wanna defend Chan for the crap he gives us on a regular basis, go ahead.

Does Miami playing good D matter at all? We act like when a play doesn't work it's all on us. It's never the other team making a play. That Tannehill TD pass was an example of a pass that is almost impossible to defend. But folks here will still call it a coverage breakdown. Also it's not an adjustment so much when the D figures out you are going to run CJ Spiller a lot and start keying on him.

But you know what? Chan will never do the right thing in our eyes because we will always think we know better. Go for the jugular? Should play it safe. Play it safe? Should be more aggressive. Give the ball to CJ more? We're giving the ball to him too much.

PTR

They didn't figure the Bills would run Spiller in the first half? They decided to key on him in the secon half? LOL. This IS a game of adjustments and coaching. And good coaches adjust. Miami adjusted, the Bills did not. Good coaches don't take their best offensive weapon out on third down and run the third string running back in a wild cat formation. They don't take their best offensive weapon out of the game inside the ten yard line with little time on the clock. They don't call a play to the rookie reciever who he himself admits needs work and by Stevie Johnson's own admission has not even run in practice on a crucial play that decided the game in New England

Come on Promo. Your better than this. Of course the defense can play well. Of course CJ can get a break. But let's be serious. In 4 trips to the red zone, CJ wasn't in once. He was also in only a few times on 3rd down.

You don't win games regularly by leaving your best player in the sidelines inside the red zone. Chan played this game not to lose. Very Juronesque.

That's been my biggest frustration with him, and it's why I have come to the conclusion that Chan is not very smart. How many times has he relied on someone other than one of our stars in the most crucial situations? Brad Smith comes in and throws a long pass into endzone traffic when we can just run the clock and secure a win? Calling TJ Graham's number on a potential game wiinning drive when this guy apparently wasn't able to see the field earlier in the season because he wasn't "picking up the offense"? Keeping Spiller on the sidelines while we're in the red zone threatening against Miami? ENOUGH already! We finally have a couple of legit stars on offense, but Chan continually insists on thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

Hell, as I said in the shout box last night, it's been obvious to everyone but Chan for WEEKS that CJ needed to be given more opportunities. So why does it take until we're 3-6, with our season already pretty much lost, and Fred Jackson to be injured that Chan finally gives CJ a bigger role? Clearly it's only because he had to! lol Why the hell couldn't he come to this conclusion on his own prior to yesterday? Against a solid Miami D Spiller carried the load and allowed us to win a game where the offense didn't break the plane of the goal line one single time.

That's been my biggest frustration with him, and it's why I have come to the conclusion that Chan is not very smart. How many times has he relied on someone other than one of our stars in the most crucial situations? Brad Smith comes in and throws a long pass into endzone traffic when we can just run the clock and secure a win? Calling TJ Graham's number on a potential game wiinning drive when this guy apparently wasn't able to see the field earlier in the season because he wasn't "picking up the offense"? Keeping Spiller on the sidelines while we're in the red zone threatening against Miami? ENOUGH already! We finally have a couple of legit stars on offense, but Chan continually insists on thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

Hell, as I said in the shout box last night, it's been obvious to everyone but Chan for WEEKS that CJ needed to be given more opportunities. So why does it take until we're 3-6, with our season already pretty much lost, and Fred Jackson to be injured that Chan finally gives CJ a bigger role? Clearly it's only because he had to! lol Why the hell couldn't he come to this conclusion on his own prior to yesterday? Against a solid Miami D Spiller carried the load and allowed us to win a game where the offense didn't break the plane of the goal line one single time.

Well said

I painfully went to almost every fish game when they owned us. The happily went to almost every fish game when Kelly handed Marino his sack twice a year. These games came at times and at great personal sacrifice by living 3,000 miles away and raising a family. Till i die there is no better satisfaction then beating the fish. They suck and always will suck in my book.

Edited by Best Player Available

In the Don Shula coaching days, the Dolphins were the Bills main thorn in the side. In recent years Miami isn't nearly the team it once was. These days the Patriots are the Bills main thorn in the side.

On a side note it's interesting that the Bills are 3 and 1 against Miami in post season playoff games against Miami

Edited by FanofFredJackson

Yes all that! Thx for sparing me the trouble to type it...

I don't know if you were a fan "back in the day", but this is an argument that you'll never win. There were fans during the Super Bowl years who complained constantly because they were "only" going to the playoffs every year, and never won the Super Bowl. I would be at games and fans would be complaining that they weren't winning by a big enough margin. The only difference between then and now is that there was no significant internet, so no message boards.

PTR